Gesell's Foul

I don't get why people have such a problem with the foul. I like that he tried to go for the five second call knowing that they wouldn't shoot free throws if he were called for a foul. Makes more sense than laying way off him with no pressure on the ball.

I agree. But we are a reeling team and fan base, and are questioning everything.

He should not have fouled, he played great defense, but should not have reached out with his arms like he did that far from the basket that far intothe shot clock.m

Bad break, but there is no excuse that works for fouling in that circumstance.

It doesn't matter anyway. If he doesn't foul there were only 2 possible outcomes. They make a shot at the shot clock buzzer then we rattle out a shot at the end, or they miss a shot at the shot clock buzzer, get the rebound, then make a shot at the game buzzer. We are cursed.

It doesn't matter anyway. If he doesn't foul there were only 2 possible outcomes. They make a shot at the shot clock buzzer then we rattle out a shot at the end, or they miss a shot at the shot clock buzzer, get the rebound, then make a shot at the game buzzer. We are cursed.

Something like 3-10 in games decided by under 10 points, and 1-8 in the Big Ten. That's not cursed; that's who you are.

Something like 3-10 in games decided by under 10 points, and 1-8 in the Big Ten. That's not cursed; that's who you are.

I wasn't referring to how we are in close games. I was referring to how every single late game shot goes in against us and every one of ours rattles out.

And the crazy high percentage of late shots going in against us over the years is bad luck. It's not like we are leaving the lane wide open for layups.

I don't get why people have such a problem with the foul. I like that he tried to go for the five second call knowing that they wouldn't shoot free throws if he were called for a foul. Makes more sense than laying way off him with no pressure on the ball.

You cant be ser.........

But the hand checking was not called, it wasn't until Gesell made a weak attempt to swipe at the ball with his right hand that he got called.

I thought it was a five second call. The final foul call was a good call because the ballhandler made his move and was getting past MG when the grab occurred.

After a night to sleep on it, I think we are missing a point. The foul came too early. Iowa had a foul to give and doing so with three or four seconds left would have made sense. I think there was a very small difference between game clock and shot clock. I'm not sure though if someone has it recorded I could be wrong.

If it was a small difference that would have made sense why people think Fran was calling for them to foul. It just happened to soon.

The ref was actually letting Mike play. It looked like he was intentionally trying to foul as he put his hands on the Illinois player 3 times before it was actually called. Could have/should have been called a couple seconds earlier

why it wasn't called the rest of the game anywhere and sure the heck wasn't called in MSU

why it wasn't called the rest of the game anywhere and sure the heck wasn't called in MSU

It doesn't matter - it was called. Gesell/Iowa shouldn't have put themselves in the position where the official could (justifiably) make that call (wiping out the shot clock, giving Illinois, effectively, the last shot of the game). What was the defense to the call? "But, official, you didn't call this the rest of the game, and you surely didn't call it at MSU" It was a low Basketball IQ play - something Iowa has demonstrated a lot lately.

There was no foul on that play I was one of the worst calls of the game. This and when the Ill loser obviously tipped the ball out, about tge 2:50 mark of the second half but the refs said it was off White.

Why even try getting a 5 second call in college bball?? When is the last time you've seen it called on a ball handler dribbling with 1 guy defending??

in high school the rule is 6 feet. I'm not sure what it is in college but it seems like they don't get a count started unless they are within a foot or two. Of course in college they have the shot clock that prevents stalling.

Of course he wasn't telling him to foul. He was ****** about the call on the post game.

In that situation, tied game, time running down, a foul that should not have been called. Refs usually only call obvious hard fouls in those situations except against the Hawks and never for the Hawks. How many times have we been fouled in the last second of regular time or OT.....

I thought Mike was playing really good D on him, stopping him in his tracks.....

Tired of miracle shots beating us. I thought Aaron played good D on him, couldn't foul him with the time left. Knew it was going in, reminded me of the shot the Syracuse guard made in the last second a game or two before their own slump.....

Syracuse's Tyler Ennis Hits Buzzer Beater vs. Pitt - 2/13/2014 - YouTube

H7I0pPusFHZTgMxWOaU2de27tP22oXSZu7w6E4FIBQvQ_1MVyUo1yb4OCGD4qwZ4sUdtSHJaZioV_3H5-a_DKIzUqvIJxFA3WAU2ZhcOhCdFeJMA=s0-d-e1-ft

Latest posts