Gesell's Foul

I agree Jack. I thought that was really good D. At worst that was a ticky tacky call; and one that shouldn't have been called in that situation. Everyone in the universe thought that was a 5 second call... Except that one ref.

Considering that emphasizing calling hand checking up top was like the biggest topic in CBB before the season I'd have to say that was the poster call that refs will use in the following years. So obvious.

Yeah, it was so obvious that you could look at every possession by each team and find hand contact more egregious than Gesell's that wasn't called.

In that situation, tied game, time running down, a foul that should not have been called. Refs usually only call obvious hard fouls in those situations except against the Hawks and never for the Hawks. How many times have we been fouled in the last second of regular time or OT.....

I thought Mike was playing really good D on him, stopping him in his tracks.....

Tired of miracle shots beating us. I thought Aaron played good D on him, couldn't foul him with the time left. Knew it was going in, reminded me of the shot the Syracuse guard made in the last second a game or two before their own slump.....

Syracuse's Tyler Ennis Hits Buzzer Beater vs. Pitt - 2/13/2014 - YouTube

H7I0pPusFHZTgMxWOaU2de27tP22oXSZu7w6E4FIBQvQ_1MVyUo1yb4OCGD4qwZ4sUdtSHJaZioV_3H5-a_DKIzUqvIJxFA3WAU2ZhcOhCdFeJMA=s0-d-e1-ft

And how many posts do you read on here saying you won't get a ref to make a call at the end of the game, they let the players decide the game? In the MSU game at home, they forced the refs to call a foul at the end of regulation on Basabe but they didn't call it. Valentine forced the refs to make the goaltending call when he so obviously put his hand in the net but they didn't call it. At the end of regulation, Appling forced the refs to make the call on him by knocking Gesell 10 feet out of bounds but they didn't call it. All because it was the end of the game so refs let things go. But when Gesell hand checks 30 feet from the basket at the end of the game? Oh yea, the refs are forced to call it because it was so obvious.

And how many posts do you read on here saying you won't get a ref to make a call at the end of the game, they let the players decide the game? In the MSU game at home, they forced the refs to call a foul at the end of regulation on Basabe but they didn't call it. Valentine forced the refs to make the goaltending call when he so obviously put his hand in the net but they didn't call it. At the end of regulation, Appling forced the refs to make the call on him by knocking Gesell 10 feet out of bounds but they didn't call it. All because it was the end of the game so refs let things go. But when Gesell hand checks 30 feet from the basket at the end of the game? Oh yea, the refs are forced to call it because it was so obvious.

And this post isn't a "blame the refs for the loss" post. It's simply saying whether its a bad no call at the end of the game that's in character with how calls are normally made, or a good call at the end of the game that's out of character with how calls are normally made. They always seem to go against Iowa.

When's the last time Iowa was at the free throw line unintentionally with under 10 seconds left? Marble is 0 for his last 20 driving the lane for the game winner and he was fouled zero times in all of those. At the end of games, our shots don't go our way, their shots don't go our way, and calls don't go our way.

It doesn't matter anyway. If he doesn't foul there were only 2 possible outcomes. They make a shot at the shot clock buzzer then we rattle out a shot at the end, or they miss a shot at the shot clock buzzer, get the rebound, then make a shot at the game buzzer. We are cursed.

Excellent post. Gesell was in a no win situation. If he plays defense, he is going to be called for a foul no matter what. If he lays off, Illinois will score with little time left. Iowa gets the ball and either does not get a shot off, or misses it. Gonna lose anyway...at least go down fighting.

I wasn't referring to how we are in close games. I was referring to how every single late game shot goes in against us and every one of ours rattles out.[/QUO

Seems to be a pattern that is unending.....

Not just with Fran's teams either, but there seem to be more of them.....

:rolleyes:

No **** here, my 69 year old mother in law asked why we didnt press on that second to last possession or whatever for Illinois. They couldnt handle it b4 but we're dipwad iowa. Shes 69....and a woman who never played the game and doesnt care for it.. Dananananaa GO
HAWKS!

Latest posts