Georgia fires HC Mark Fox. Nine seasons. 2 NCAA tournaments.

100% chance that Gutless Gary doesn't say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH after Fran fails to make the NCAA tournament next season!

Gary Barta will never fire Fran. Ever. He made the deal, it will work or it won't. If it doesn't he will be fired and a new AD hired who will then hire Iowa's next coach.

Gary Barta will never fire Fran. Ever. He made the deal, it will work or it won't. If it doesn't he will be fired and a new AD hired who will then hire Iowa's next coach.
What indication do you have that Gary is going ANYWHERE. If you don't get fired for the Rhabdo deal, The Ferentz contract extension AND the McCaffrey extension...MORE IMPORTANTLY losing a lawsuit that says you discriminated against a LGBTQIA subordinate and her partner what the HELL does one need to do to get fired!? It certainly wouldn't be because of the McCaffrey deal.

What indication do you have that Gary is going ANYWHERE. If you don't get fired for the Rhabdo deal, The Ferentz contract extension AND the McCaffrey extension...MORE IMPORTANTLY losing a lawsuit that says you discriminated against a LGBTQIA subordinate and her partner what the HELL does one need to do to get fired!? It certainly wouldn't be because of the McCaffrey deal.

It most definitely could be if Iowa goes further into the tank in basketball and don't kid yourself, it would have definitely been a reason to fire him if football went into the tank. It hasn't. Rhabdo has happened at a lot of universities over the years - does that automatically get you fired if your the AD? Iowa lost that lawsuit, I thought it would get him canned too - but overwhelmingly the school still sided with him even after a court case. That says a lot.

I want Barta fired too - but let's not act like it's not possible ok? It is. It's just not gonna happen because we say so. AD's at P5 schools typically get shown the door when their revenue sports tank for multiple years. Iowa is not different in that regards.

I think there's a better chance Fran leaves to take another job after next season than he'll be fired but if we're terrible the next two seasons Fran will be fired by 2020. Whether Barta will be the one to fire him would be up to whether the boosters and such demand that he's gone by then due to how poor the sports product has become.

I think there's a better chance Fran leaves to take another job after next season than he'll be fired but if we're terrible the next two seasons Fran will be fired by 2020. Whether Barta will be the one to fire him would be up to whether the boosters and such demand that he's gone by then due to how poor the sports product has become.

exactly, the boosters must LOVE Gary because he does seem untouchable. But really, if it gets bad like it was for the hoops team this season, and it continues, Iowa is going to fire someone...and most AD's don't get to make a 2nd hire, let alone a 3rd so IMO, AD first, then new AD, then new coach. If Fran some how pulls off a miracle and turns it around and Iowa goes to the Dance the next 2 or 3 years then Gary is probably ok. He put all eggs into these contracts, I have 0 doubt he would fry for them if they go bad.

Your off on your comparison and getting called out. If you want to make a case to get rid of Fran, go for it but this comparison isn't the right one.
I'm not entertaining bullshit arguments. Feel free to do it for me. If you don't want to acknowledge their win/loss records being almost identical.... that's your decision.

I'm not entertaining bullshit arguments. Feel free to do it for me. If you don't want to acknowledge their win/loss records being almost identical.... that's your decision.

So let's say one coach takes over a horrible program and has 2 horrible seasons followed by 4 good seasons. The other coach takes over a great program, has 2 good seasons, then 2 bad seasons, then 2 horrible seasons. Both coaches have the same exact record. Do both coaches deserve to be fired equally? I assume you say yes since all that matters to you is record and you're too short sighted to look at variables.

He should have coached at ISU. He'd have a statue built in his honor.
Orr did and he was barely a .500 coach at ISU who made the Sweet Sixteen once. He was known in his later years for playing legit non conference schedules, however. But a conference record of 79-117 ain't nothing to be proud of, as Clark Griswold would say. Most of Orr's finest moments as a coach occurred at Michigan, where he made a Championship final and two Elite Eights and was a consistent thorn in Lute's side. He was an even bigger thorn in Dick Vitale's side and I don't know if that hatchet ever got buried.

Orr did and he was barely a .500 coach at ISU who made the Sweet Sixteen once. He was known in his later years for playing legit non conference schedules, however. But a conference record of 79-117 ain't nothing to be proud of, as Clark Griswold would say. Most of Orr's finest moments as a coach occurred at Michigan, where he made a Championship final and two Elite Eights and was a consistent thorn in Lute's side. He was an even bigger thorn in Dick Vitale's side and I don't know if that hatchet ever got buried.

To the 2 finalists for the job were Michigan ass't Bill Frieder and Army head coach Mike Krzyzewski. When ISU called to talk with Frieder, Orr, the head coach, became interested and wanted to go somewhere were he could be the big fish. Could you imagine Coach K at Duke? K's college coach, Bobby Knight even told him to take the ISU job.

I hope Hawkeye fans watching this tournament just get mad. 1.) Because of all of the podunk teams that automatically qualified. 2.) That Fran can't field a team capable of making this tournament.....and he is still coaching.

To the 2 finalists for the job were Michigan ass't Bill Frieder and Army head coach Mike Krzyzewski. When ISU called to talk with Frieder, Orr, the head coach, became interested and wanted to go somewhere were he could be the big fish. Could you imagine Coach K at Duke? K's college coach, Bobby Knight even told him to take the ISU job.
Spot on: see post 54 of this thread. Col. Tom Murphy, who was both Knight's and K's boss at army, famously told Mike that he "should see this Duke thing through" and K, with an ISU offer on the table, gambled on Duke. Turned out sort of well for him.

Frieder would have been an absolute hoot at ISU and not in a good way. He had a strong dislike for Iowa and would go public with it every chance he got. When Davis blew the eighteen point lead to UNLV in the '87 regional final Frieder didn't stop talking about it for a year and a half. His own stupidity led to his demise on the eve of a tournament with his assistant Steve Fisher ending up going all the way.

Knight and Schembechler were close friends. And both were offered coaching jobs at Wisconsin in 1969. And Wisconsin screwed both of them up. It went a long way toward explaining why the Badgers were bottom feeders in the BIG for a long time.