Georgia fires HC Mark Fox. Nine seasons. 2 NCAA tournaments.

I don't follow Georgia basketball closely, but on sports talk radio in Atlanta they say Mark Fox got fired mainly because he couldn't keep Georgia talent in Georgia. In Atlanta, you can't throw a rock without hitting a 4 or 5 star player and they almost all go elsewhere. With all that talent in their back yard, Georgia should be a MUCH better program than they are.

Fran definitely needs to step it up, but Georgia is a much different situation than Iowa.

If on average you have 8 or 9 kids that are 4 and 5 stars in your backyard....... and you can’t get 2 or 3 of them on a regular basis.......well then you deserve to be fired.

C'mon neither do we. West got beat by GLENWOOD freaking GLENWOOD! Have you ever been to GLENWOOD IA!

Yes...yes I have. Glenwood -home to Keg Creek Brewing...so...put down the Natty Light, BV or whatever Little Pink Fusker fans drink and realize through your inebriation that not only did Glenwood not play West, they aren't even in the same class.

I don't follow Georgia basketball closely, but on sports talk radio in Atlanta they say Mark Fox got fired mainly because he couldn't keep Georgia talent in Georgia. In Atlanta, you can't throw a rock without hitting a 4 or 5 star player and they almost all go elsewhere. With all that talent in their back yard, Georgia should be a MUCH better program than they are.

Fran definitely needs to step it up, but Georgia is a much different situation than Iowa.
You don't think winning would have made a difference, huh?

When I lived in Jacksonville, I used to root for Florida Gators to beat them a lot. Most of times, 4 or 5 stars would prefer to play for North Carolina or Alabama or Virginia. There are plenty of school to play for another than Georgia, but I haven’t been home lately. Too busy for the last few years to pay attention to it.

Conner and Patrick may very well lead us to a nice NCAA run or two. But none other than Dick Vitale wrote in his book in 1988 that "coaching your son is usually a can of worms waiting to be pried open." I think there were issues at the time with Eddie Sutton wanting to replace a starter with him son, Sean. I do know this; UNLV under Tarkanian was a national powerhouse for a long time. I don't remember them making any serious runs when Danny Tarkanian was running the point. Can anyone else remember?
Bill Self at KU, Lickliter at Iowa, and the list goes on and on and on. The one exception was that Alford's kid Bryce DID help that team from a scoring perspective.

Yes...yes I have. Glenwood -home to Keg Creek Brewing...so...put down the Natty Light, BV or whatever Little Pink Fusker fans drink and realize through your inebriation that not only did Glenwood not play West, they aren't even in the same class.
I did I totally cornfused classes Ok let me correct on front page have you ever been to Cedar Falls...Cedar Falls IA c'mon. Point being West didn't rip it up in Class 4A. I was probably a few drinks in at that point!

Far from a Fusker fan however. Matter of fact I love to pimp the crap out of Husker fans.

Bill Self at KU, Lickliter at Iowa, and the list goes on and on and on. The one exception was that Alford's kid Bryce DID help that team from a scoring perspective.
Bryce was a phenomenal ball player. I think there is another exception as well. You ever heard of Doug McDermott?

Bryce was a phenomenal ball player. I think there is another exception as well. You ever heard of Doug McDermott?
BTW ever hear of Pistol Pete Maravich? Point is with 350+ D1 programs 100% men coaches there have been few where the coaches son has been a good reason to let mediocrity take root and sustain itself.

Mark Fox- 0 NCAA wins in 9 years, hasn't been to the Dance in 4 seasons, has missed the Dance in 6 of the last 7 and can't keep in state talent home ... yeah, exactly the same situation in IC

I get why this thread exists, but I don't think it really makes sense when you look closer.

Fran in the past 5 years: 3 NCAA tournaments, 2 NCAA tournament wins, 3 20-win seasons, 3 seasons being ranked within the top 25, 2 seasons being ranked in the top 10, 1 consensus all-american, 2 NBA draft picks.

Mark Fox in the past 7 years: 1 NCAA tournament, 0 NCAA tournament wins, 3 20-win seasons, never ranked in the top 25, 0 all americans, 1 NBA draft pick

I get why this thread exists, but I don't think it really makes sense when you look closer.

Fran in the past 5 years: 3 NCAA tournaments, 2 NCAA tournament wins, 3 20-win seasons, 3 seasons being ranked within the top 25, 2 seasons being ranked in the top 10, 1 consensus all-american, 2 NBA draft picks.

Mark Fox in the past 7 years: 1 NCAA tournament, 0 NCAA tournament wins, 3 20-win seasons, never ranked in the top 25, 0 all americans, 1 NBA draft pick

Plus, the SEC isn't very good in hoops save for Kentucky and sometimes Florida. The B1G is a murderer's row where one night you'll have to go all the way to Penn State and then get Illinois at home and then have to go to Nebraska and then you have to play teams like MSU and Purdue back to back. Even though my Tide are really good at football, they aren't so good at hoops but my boys in Durham are good at hoops and had he amassed this record in the ACC it would be understandable.

Mark Fox- 0 NCAA wins in 9 years, hasn't been to the Dance in 4 seasons, has missed the Dance in 6 of the last 7 and can't keep in state talent home ... yeah, exactly the same situation in IC
Their records are almost identical in win/loss %. Which is to say that both of them are mediocre. The difference is that 1 program doesn't accept mediocre and 1 program does. When Fran Whiffs on Carton and Foster, they'll be even more similar. But I guess you'll just have to keep your head in the sand a little while longer. Just like you did until the day Lickliter's firing was announced!