Georgia fires HC Mark Fox. Nine seasons. 2 NCAA tournaments.

I get why this thread exists, but I don't think it really makes sense when you look closer.

Fran in the past 5 years: 3 NCAA tournaments, 2 NCAA tournament wins, 3 20-win seasons, 3 seasons being ranked within the top 25, 2 seasons being ranked in the top 10, 1 consensus all-american, 2 NBA draft picks.

Mark Fox in the past 7 years: 1 NCAA tournament, 0 NCAA tournament wins, 3 20-win seasons, never ranked in the top 25, 0 all americans, 1 NBA draft pick
Look at their win/loss record and %. And STOP cherry picking what seasons you want to include. It's a bad look, unless you're the worst kind of apologist.

Their records are almost identical in win/loss %. Which is to say that both of them are mediocre. The difference is that 1 program doesn't accept mediocre and 1 program does. When Fran Whiffs on Carton and Foster, they'll be even more similar. But I guess you'll just have to keep your head in the sand a little while longer. Just like you did until the day Lickliter's firing was announced!

I've been accused of a lot, but never a TL supporter. I was not a fan of his from Day 1, just seemed weak. Had a weak chin. Had a weak look. Looked like dork. Never thought guys would want to play for him.

also, Fran has 3 NCAA's in the last 5 - with 2 wins, Fox has 1 in 7 with no wins, yet, somehow you form in your mind that GA is not putting up with mediocrity and Iowa is.

Look at their win/loss record and %. And STOP cherry picking what seasons you want to include. It's a bad look, unless you're the worst kind of apologist.

it's not cherry picking -it's most recent, which has to matter for something. In the last 5 years Fox had 1 NCAA - 0 wins, Fran has 3 with 2 wins. It's not really even debatable - even if you look at all 8 of Frans.

I get why this thread exists, but I don't think it really makes sense when you look closer.

Fran in the past 5 years: 3 NCAA tournaments, 2 NCAA tournament wins, 3 20-win seasons, 3 seasons being ranked within the top 25, 2 seasons being ranked in the top 10, 1 consensus all-american, 2 NBA draft picks.

Mark Fox in the past 7 years: 1 NCAA tournament, 0 NCAA tournament wins, 3 20-win seasons, never ranked in the top 25, 0 all americans, 1 NBA draft pick

So Fox won just as many games with less talent? And who is the "consensus All American"?

Context totally matters. I'm not about to hold it against Mike Krzyzewski for going 38-47 his first 3 years at Duke

People will take this point out of context, but here goes. Other than Fran's first year and his last year, his record blows Fox's out of the water. No way in hell anyone should care about his first year. So that means before this year, Fran's resume was way better.

This year was terrible tho. So the question is, do you fire a coach for one terrible year, when before that year, he was way better than a coach who lasted 9 years as a school who "doesn't accept mediocre"?

I've been accused of a lot, but never a TL supporter. I was not a fan of his from Day 1, just seemed weak. Had a weak chin. Had a weak look. Looked like dork. Never thought guys would want to play for him.

also, Fran has 3 NCAA's in the last 5 - with 2 wins, Fox has 1 in 7 with no wins, yet, somehow you form in your mind that GA is not putting up with mediocrity and Iowa is.
I did however want Iowa to keep Steve, which is probably equally as bad

His name is Jarrod Uthoff

Yes, the guy that didn't want to play for Fran initially.

Regardless, Fran's record is not that much better than Fox's (first year pass..OK. This year, uh no. He should be peaking)
One big exception. Fran was smart enough to get hired by an AD that couldn't negotiate the sale of a box of girl scout cookies. He scored big there.

Yes, the guy that didn't want to play for Fran initially.

Regardless, Fran's record is not that much better than Fox's (first year pass..OK. This year, uh no. He should be peaking)
One big exception. Fran was smart enough to get hired by an AD that couldn't negotiate the sale of a box of girl scout cookies. He scored big there.

I mean....Fran was brand new at Iowa when Uthoff was being recruited and then Fran's first year was an 11-20 season, choosing Wisconsin over iowa at the time is completely understandable. I'm not going to hold it against a kid for choosing proven success over a brand new program fresh off the Lickliter years.

But to each his own

So we should emulate the Georgia MBB program? Why? They suck, and have sucked for years in a generally sucky basketball conference. Why should we want to be more like them?

Context totally matters. I'm not about to hold it against Mike Krzyzewski for going 38-47 his first 3 years at Duke
Wouldn't that have changed the course of history if Duke launched him? I'll go a step further. Iowa State offered him in 1981 and Knight, fresh off a NC, was pushing hard for Chicago native K to get a Midwest job. Coach K was at the airport when Duke's hiring board got into a huge debate over him. Finally, the AD came to his senses and told his assistant to get his ass out to the airport immediately and bring Mike back to his office. Kryzyzewski very nearly took the Iowa State position that eventually went to Johnny Orr.

Wouldn't THAT have changed the course of history.

it's not cherry picking -it's most recent, which has to matter for something. In the last 5 years Fox had 1 NCAA - 0 wins, Fran has 3 with 2 wins. It's not really even debatable - even if you look at all 8 of Frans.
5 years for Fran and 7 years for Fox .....is cherry picking! Plain and simple!

I mean....Fran was brand new at Iowa when Uthoff was being recruited and then Fran's first year was an 11-20 season, choosing Wisconsin over iowa at the time is completely understandable. I'm not going to hold it against a kid for choosing proven success over a brand new program fresh off the Lickliter years.

But to each his own

I'm not "holding it against" Uthoff...that's not the point. Giving Fran credit for him being a 2nd team AA is. Jared deserves the credit for that.

Getting back to the OP, Fran has a lot of leeway and he should be Thankful GarBar is his AD. He wouldn't have the much elsewhere. If we're not in the Big Dance at this time next year... the excuses will be few and far between...and we'll be stuck with him thanks to Barta.

Fran has just under a year to prove his critics wrong. It looks like it'll take some aggressive recruiting (and a little luck) to get a JuCo guard or guards...and a true revelation in his coaching. Because this year he finished with a solid D-.

People will take this point out of context, but here goes. Other than Fran's first year and his last year, his record blows Fox's out of the water. No way in hell anyone should care about his first year. So that means before this year, Fran's resume was way better.

This year was terrible tho. So the question is, do you fire a coach for one terrible year, when before that year, he was way better than a coach who lasted 9 years as a school who "doesn't accept mediocre"?
colbert-the-word-cherry-picking.gif