Georgia fires HC Mark Fox. Nine seasons. 2 NCAA tournaments.

colbert-the-word-cherry-picking.gif
Damn lightning, your on fire. It's like that Karate Kid scene where Miyagi jumps the fence and takes out five Cobra Kai's at once. I'm in the gym parking lot. You're holding up my workout!

5 years for Fran and 7 years for Fox .....is cherry picking! Plain and simple!

What? You completely missed the point. I added 2 extra years to Fox just to show how truly terrible he has been lately compared to Fran. In 2 full extra seasons he still cant compare to Fran. How did you not get that?

What? You completely missed the point. I added 2 extra years to Fox just to show how truly terrible he has been lately compared to Fran. In 2 full extra seasons he still cant compare to Fran. How did you not get that?
Mark Fox - 163-133 (.551) and conference 77-79 (.494)
Fran McCaffery - 151-120 (.558) and conference 67-75 (.472)
How do you not get that????

Mark Fox - 163-133 (.551) and conference 77-79 (.494)
Fran McCaffery - 151-120 (.558) and conference 67-75 (.472)
How do you not get that????

I do get that. I also get that you created this post with those stats to try to prove a point. I simply disagree with the premise and logic

You also said "I guess some ADs expect better" when in fact Fox was around for longer than Fran which makes zero sense.

I do get that. I also get that you created this post with those stats to try to prove a point. I simply disagree with the premise and logic

You also said "I guess some ADs expect better" when in fact Fox was around for longer than Fran which makes zero sense.
So, you expect Fran to be fired after next season (his ninth, same as Fox), when Fran fails to make the NCAA tournament? Care to place a wager on that? I'll bet you that A), We don't make the NCAA tournament next season and B), that Gutless Gary doesn't fire him. $100 on each. You in?

Conner and Patrick may very well lead us to a nice NCAA run or two. But none other than Dick Vitale wrote in his book in 1988 that "coaching your son is usually a can of worms waiting to be pried open." I think there were issues at the time with Eddie Sutton wanting to replace a starter with him son, Sean. I do know this; UNLV under Tarkanian was a national powerhouse for a long time. I don't remember them making any serious runs when Danny Tarkanian was running the point. Can anyone else remember?

Back when I coached HS boys basketball, I coached at the Wartburg Basketball Camp with a number of other coaches. Can't remember his name now, but the boys basketball coach from Denver, IA, had the best quote: "You better hope that if your kid is on the team that he's really really good or really really bad. Because if he's anywhere in between you will be criticized until he graduates." I then asked him about his son and how good he was. His answer? "He wrestles!"

Fox didn’t win an NCAA tourney game in those 9 years tho did he?

Fran has at least won a couple and in a year less.

Also, Fox only won 2 NIT games. So in his 9 seasons, his tourney record is a combined 2-5. Not that Fran's 7-6 combined tournament record is stellar as 4 wins were in 1 year.

Yes, the guy that didn't want to play for Fran initially.

Regardless, Fran's record is not that much better than Fox's (first year pass..OK. This year, uh no. He should be peaking)
One big exception. Fran was smart enough to get hired by an AD that couldn't negotiate the sale of a box of girl scout cookies. He scored big there.

Well, in Fran's defense, that was his first year here. Would you have come to Iowa after Fran's first year? Especially if you could have gone to Wisconsin, who offered a full ride and had a lot of success during Uthoff's high school years.

So, you expect Fran to be fired after next season (his ninth, same as Fox), when Fran fails to make the NCAA tournament? Care to place a wager on that? I'll bet you that A), We don't make the NCAA tournament next season and B), that Gutless Gary doesn't fire him. $100 on each. You in?

I would bet he gets fired if he misses the next two years. That would mean the difference between a program that demands excellence and one that accepts mediocrity is they fire their coach after 9 years instead of 10.

I would bet he gets fired if he misses the next two years. That would mean the difference between a program that demands excellence and one that accepts mediocrity is they fire their coach after 9 years instead of 10.
Fox had 9 years. Next year will be Fran's 9th year. And the mystery has long since been solved. Gutless gary loves himself some mediocrity. That part has NEVER been in doubt.

Huh??? Glenwood is a 3A school. IC West is 4A. Glenwood beat Oskaloosa for the 3A title.
Yes see my correction on that from earlier. The point was Patrick, probably a very very good player, was far from dominant in a state that doesn't generate 100's of D1 B Ball players.

Fox had 9 years. Next year will be Fran's 9th year. And the mystery has long since been solved. Gutless gary loves himself some mediocrity. That part has NEVER been in doubt.

True. But if Georgia doesn't accept mediocre, why did they let him stay 9 years? And has Georgia ever been anything more than mediocre ?

Well, in Fran's defense, that was his first year here. Would you have come to Iowa after Fran's first year? Especially if you could have gone to Wisconsin, who offered a full ride and had a lot of success during Uthoff's high school years.
No a right minded individual probably would've done the same thing. See Kirk Heinrich, Raef LaFrentz, Harrison Barnes

True. But if Georgia doesn't accept mediocre, why did they let him stay 9 years? And has Georgia ever been anything more than mediocre ?
Yes Hugh Durham had a few really awesome teams back in the 80's I believe....like us it's been forever.

Durham actually had a Final 4 team in 82-83 and had a really good run for about 7-8 years when it was tougher to even make the tournament.

Back when I coached HS boys basketball, I coached at the Wartburg Basketball Camp with a number of other coaches. Can't remember his name now, but the boys basketball coach from Denver, IA, had the best quote: "You better hope that if your kid is on the team that he's really really good or really really bad. Because if he's anywhere in between you will be criticized until he graduates." I then asked him about his son and how good he was. His answer? "He wrestles!"

Well Connor and Pat are better than Jon Lickliter but aren't going to be as good as Doug McDermott. Guess Fran is hosed then.