Georgia fires HC Mark Fox. Nine seasons. 2 NCAA tournaments.

6b6142b767d83fbed1574e5468b79f3d.jpg

And they’re looking at Rick Pitino and Tom Crean.

Hey. Whatever it takes to win.

Mark Fox - 163-133 (.551) and conference 77-79 (.494)
Fran McCaffery - 151-120 (.558) and conference 67-75 (.472)
We just have an unreasonable expectation at Iowa guys <LOL>. It would be great to be GREAT at 1 sport just freaking 1! It used to be wrestling was a guarantee not anymore. The closest thing we have to being great right now is our Baseball team. I can't wait to get out and see the Hawks on the diamond beat people's asses.

Conner and Patrick may very well lead us to a nice NCAA run or two. But none other than Dick Vitale wrote in his book in 1988 that "coaching your son is usually a can of worms waiting to be pried open." I think there were issues at the time with Eddie Sutton wanting to replace a starter with him son, Sean. I do know this; UNLV under Tarkanian was a national powerhouse for a long time. I don't remember them making any serious runs when Danny Tarkanian was running the point. Can anyone else remember?

Last edited:
I don't follow Georgia basketball closely, but on sports talk radio in Atlanta they say Mark Fox got fired mainly because he couldn't keep Georgia talent in Georgia. In Atlanta, you can't throw a rock without hitting a 4 or 5 star player and they almost all go elsewhere. With all that talent in their back yard, Georgia should be a MUCH better program than they are.

Fran definitely needs to step it up, but Georgia is a much different situation than Iowa.

Conner and Patrick may very well lead us to a nice NCAA run or two. But none other than Dick Vitale wrote in his book in 1988 that "coaching you son is usually a can of worms waiting to be pried open." I think there were issues at the time with Eddie Sutton wanting to replace a starter with him son, Sean. I do know this; UNLV under Tarkanian was a national powerhouse for a long time. I don't remember them making any serious runs when Danny Tarkanian was running the point. Can anyone else remember?

Dick and Tony Bennent had a run at Green Bay. Homer and Bryce Drew at Valpo, McDermotts at Creighton. Most of the “successful” ones seem to come from the mid-majors.

I don't follow Georgia basketball closely, but on sports talk radio in Atlanta they say Mark Fox got fired mainly because he couldn't keep Georgia talent in Georgia. In Atlanta, you can't throw a rock without hitting a 4 or 5 star player and they almost all go elsewhere. With all that talent in their back yard, Georgia should be a MUCH better program than they are.

Fran definitely needs to step it up, but Georgia is a much different situation than Iowa.
If Lou Henson was still coaching Illinois today, with the changing times and national brand name recognition, and national kids forming AAU alliances at twelve or thirteen, I wonder if he would still be able to dominate the Chicago Public League like he once did. And yes I know all about the Jimmy Collins factor.