Geno Stone Tells HN Why He Chose Hawkeyes

More Mac poaching by Iowa here, though i do like the looks of this kid still got to be reasons he didn't have many P5 offers

After watching Geno's tape I can't understand why he wasn't more heavily recruited. I get it's a highlight video but I saw shades and glimpses of a future Bob Sanders type of player, IMO.

That should fill out the secondary nicely in this class. This kid is put together pretty solid and likes to hit. Mr Doyles newest pupil shall be welcomed.

More Mac poaching by Iowa here, though i do like the looks of this kid still got to be reasons he didn't have many P5 offers
Not every kid has the opportunity to do the scouting camp circuit. Take Martin for an example, had he not been able to hit the scouting camp circuit the way he did or at all, he would have been a high 2 star/low 3 star recruit and would be going to Iowa or heavens forbid a MAC school. Not all kids can afford to do this, or want to. Stanley is great example of a way undervalued recruit because he didn't spend the summer before his senior year at camps across the country.

I am not saying Stone is a lock for greatness, but he does have something going for him that only a handful of recruits have this year - he is going to be a Hawkeye.

Iowa has had plenty of success with guys that didn't have many Power 5 offers. They also have had failures with kids that had Power 5 offers and some who didn't. Poaching MAC recruits is a lazy take.

They have had alot more failures poaching mac kids than success doing it...lefts face it they are in panic mode with how many kids have went other place that they were recruiting

They have had alot more failures poaching mac kids than success doing it...lefts face it they are in panic mode with how many kids have went other place that they were recruiting

It's always a numbers game. Plenty of recruits never make it through the four or five years. So, odds are there will be plenty of "failures." As I said, there are plenty of guys with other Power 5 offers that don't make it. That's why I said it's a lazy take to just say a kid is going to to succeed or fail based on his offers. If you follow Iowa football, you know that's not the case.

And panic mode might be the way some outsiders look at it. The coaches don't look at it that way.

Kyshaun Bryan picked Iowa over Pitt and South Carolina. Creamer picked Iowa over Rutgers and Minnesota. Let's not paint it like it's all "MAC poaching."

“I committed to Iowa because the coaches are great people and everything about Iowa is great. They have great academics, great facilities, and also a great football program,” Stone told HN.

What does this explain? The other schools have coaches who aren't great people and everything about them is not great? They don't have great academics, don't have great facilities, and don't have great football programs?

It is just a kid being effusive about the school he picked.

It's always a numbers game. Plenty of recruits never make it through the four or five years. So, odds are there will be plenty of "failures." As I said, there are plenty of guys with other Power 5 offers that don't make it. That's why I said it's a lazy take to just say a kid is going to to succeed or fail based on his offers. If you follow Iowa football, you know that's not the case.

And panic mode might be the way some outsiders look at it. The coaches don't look at it that way.

Kyshaun Bryan picked Iowa over Pitt and South Carolina. Creamer picked Iowa over Rutgers and Minnesota. Let's not paint it like it's all "MAC poaching."

Spin it how you want. Anyone that doesn't drink the Kool-Aid can see this staff is in panic mode trying to fill the class. It is MAC poaching, and you use Creamer as an example. WOW he chose us over mighty Rutgers and Minnesota. What has our staff of recruiting giants done to fill our biggest position of need? You know wr? We're hoping to land a fall back. Way more failures that are MAC recruits, or had very few Power 5 offers, than there are success stories. The results on the field will show when these guys are supposed to be contributing. I hope they work out, but we're never going to compete with talented teams with the classes we are settling for. Sure we'll beat the likes of Purdue, Illinois, etc., but when we see PSU, tOSU, etc. forget it.

“I committed to Iowa because the coaches are great people and everything about Iowa is great. They have great academics, great facilities, and also a great football program,” Stone told HN.

What does this explain? The other schools have coaches who aren't great people and everything about them is not great? They don't have great academics, don't have great facilities, and don't have great football programs?

It is just a kid being effusive about the school he picked.

Then this is a kid we should just ignore when he expresses his views and excitement about a very big decision he has just made. Nice thoughts, Hawknigh.

Spin it how you want. Anyone that doesn't drink the Kool-Aid can see this staff is in panic mode trying to fill the class. It is MAC poaching, and you use Creamer as an example. WOW he chose us over mighty Rutgers and Minnesota. What has our staff of recruiting giants done to fill our biggest position of need? You know wr? We're hoping to land a fall back. Way more failures that are MAC recruits, or had very few Power 5 offers, than there are success stories. The results on the field will show when these guys are supposed to be contributing. I hope they work out, but we're never going to compete with talented teams with the classes we are settling for. Sure we'll beat the likes of Purdue, Illinois, etc., but when we see PSU, tOSU, etc. forget it.

No. No you don't hope they work out. You've watched Iowa go 20-7 the last two years and still are all over these boards whining. We beat mighty Michigan this year at Kinnick. Did you catch that game?

It takes a pretty small person to come on here and criticize high school kids that have chosen the school for which you root because they don't meet your needs as a fan based on their recruiting ranking. Says a lot more about you than it does them.

No. No you don't hope they work out. You've watched Iowa go 20-7 the last two years and still are all over these boards whining. We beat mighty Michigan this year at Kinnick. Did you catch that game?

It takes a pretty small person to come on here and criticize high school kids that have chosen the school for which you root because they don't meet your needs as a fan based on their recruiting ranking. Says a lot more about you than it does them.

Problem is he doesn't root for Iowa. Wish he would just leave and take his cronies with him. Gets tiring having these clowns around!

Geno might have my favorite highlights of any Iowa recruit, maybe ever. He absolutely destroyed any guy he tackled and closed fast. Not so naive to think that this will automatically transfer to b10 football but man I hope that it does. WRs will hate going across the middle

You guys are either just incurably stupid, or simply don't follow recruiting. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say you don't follow recruiting.

Iowa has won 20 games over the last 2 seasons with classes ranked mid to upper 50's over the '13, '14 and '15 classes. The '16 class was #47, some 10 spots better than the previous 3 years and Iowa's current class is #37 on 247 composite rankings, which is a 20 some spot jump over '13-15 classes.

You say you want improved recruiting, and when the staff does that, you bitch moan and complain about it being a crappy class. Maybe I'm wrong, it seems you guys are just incurably stupid.

Geno might have my favorite highlights of any Iowa recruit, maybe ever. He absolutely destroyed any guy he tackled and closed fast. Not so naive to think that this will automatically transfer to b10 football but man I hope that it does. WRs will hate going across the middle

I agree. Love his physicality. We've missed a safety that gives receivers something to think about on crossing routes.

Latest posts