Gavin Holmes Talks to HN About Decision to Decommit from Iowa

Dean, I don't have your rumors. Guess - The kid is anti-recruiting Iowa now that they dumped him? I'm shocked.

I know Kirk doesn't like to recruit. I know he likes the kids that make good stories, and he prefers player development. Be a good CEO, then, and hire a recruiting coordinator or a OC/DC that likes to recruit to the whistle. Otherwise you are losing recruits and you have to backfill anyway, which just means even more time doing the thing you don't like to do.

No, I don't think Iowa will ever be a top ten recruiting school. But my expectations are that it be a top 35 recruiting school. My expectations are for it to be a top 25 school year in and year out. That's 8 - 9 wins a season. That's beating everyone but the top two east teams you have to face and losing to one or two of the top west schools. That's being a little better than a sanctioned 65 scholarship, no bowl berth Penn State level of recruiting. I don't think that's too unreasonable.

If I were Barta, the extension would have been written in terms of top 25 finishes. Every year finishing in the top 25 is a 75 percent year on the contact buyout, plus bonus money and raises for coordinators. Top 20, 85 percent and more bonus. Top 15 100 percent and more bonus.

Dean, I don't have your rumors. Guess - The kid is anti-recruiting Iowa now that they dumped him? I'm shocked.

I know Kirk doesn't like to recruit. I know he likes the kids that make good stories, and he prefers player development. Be a good CEO, then, and hire a recruiting coordinator or a OC/DC that likes to recruit to the whistle. Otherwise you are losing recruits and you have to backfill anyway, which just means even more time doing the thing you don't like to do.

No, I don't think Iowa will ever be a top ten recruiting school. But my expectations are that it be a top 35 recruiting school. My expectations are for it to be a top 25 school year in and year out. That's 8 - 9 wins a season. That's beating everyone but the top two east teams you have to face and losing to one or two of the top west schools. That's being a little better than a sanctioned 65 scholarship, no bowl berth Penn State level of recruiting. I don't think that's too unreasonable.

If I were Barta, the extension would have been written in terms of top 25 finishes. Every year finishing in the top 25 is a 75 percent year on the contact buyout, plus bonus money and raises for coordinators. Top 20, 85 percent and more bonus. Top 15 100 percent and more bonus.
Kirk doesn't like to recruit and from my understanding, and I heard this from a Mother of a kid here in KC that was recruited by Iowa and went to Nebraska, that the guy waxes poetic to kids about life story dribble that they don't relate to. Frankly, he needs to get a stud recruiter or two on staff and HE needs to stay away from them. He doesn't sell the program. He's probably a great Dad but an awful recruiter.

They work very hard to recognize things on defense. They make adjustments on the line all the time. The backs ate working on picking up the routes of blitzes that week's defense is going top give you, etc. There is a ton done every week just to gain 250 yards in this type of offense. When execution has to be perfect to work, you have to practice our perfectly hundreds of times.
We've gained 250 yards on offense?! I must have missed some games!

Well is there or isn't there a NO visit policy once someone commits? If this policy is in place then the kid is telling some truth is he not?

So you believe we are getting the full story? You do realize that there have been verbal recruits that have visited other schools that did not get their scholarship revoked, right?

So you believe we are getting the full story? You do realize that there have been verbal recruits that have visited other schools that did not get their scholarship revoked, right?
I have no idea ssckelley but I would guess that there are a ton of unofficials etc. that the staff never knows or hears about and I think you are probably correct. If that's the case, and I just don't know what the data shows, that other kids have visited after commiting then his story in the presser about discipline is BS. He does use a weasel phrase like, "each situation is individual..."

Here's the thing though, aren't the kids aware of the policy before they commit? not saying I agree with the policy or not. Just odd that this kids seemed surprised.

One can ask - is it the actual policy or the hypocrisy surrounding said policy that has rubbed Holmes the wrong way the most?

“The whole situation that happened with my brother, Eno, and Iowa’s policy and how they went out and offered a committed prospect and tried getting him to visit when their recruits were not allowed to take visits at all just didn’t sit very well with me and I think it was handled completely wrong,” Holmes said.

Ok, you have one night of practice covered. What do they do the rest of the week? My God, we should have our 3 running plays down pretty well by now.

You know I was trying to defend it, right? How I'd probably do it - break into position groups. Work individual technique - things we saw on film. backs and qb vs scout team. Identify blitzes. Identify coverages. Practice each audible response ten times vs the stuff we had on film. Oline vs scout line same drill. 1s versus scout defense full scrimmage.

Same with D against scout Offense.

Finally ones versus ones for one drive. O Twos versus ones one drive. O ones versus d twos.

Thurs night special teams and walk through gameplan, first fifteen play script and two minute drill script. Walk through disguising coverages and late line shifts on d after audibles.

Fri team meal, hotel, gamefilm, speaker. Saturday gameday.

Last edited:
So, GarBar ... ya know that shackling you did to Iowa football, TWICE, in the last 6 years? Wasn't that supposed to yield even more stability and continuity in every facet of the program? I believe you said,

"There is strong momentum surrounding the Hawkeye football program. Whether it's on the field, recruiting, academics, facilities, or with his staff, we're achieving at a high level today, and are well positioned for continued success for years to come."

How's all that payin' off fer ya?

We've gained 250 yards on offense?! I must have missed some games!

I should probably mention that I haven't seen a Hawkeye practice in a long time (my freshman year of college, and, yes, Kirk was there) and that I'm generalizing. But yes, there is more than enough to work on on the field, and off, as a coach during the season.

If Kirk continues to stay with his outdated recruiting policies, Iowa State will be beating us every year. Do you think Iowa State has a policy that recruits can't visit another school after a verbal commit? I doubt it. When you have a chance to get 4-star recruits from Texas, you need to do everything you can to keep them. Screw your recruiting policy!!!

I think this kid sums it up perfectly. His honesty is refreshing.

Such Hypocrisy. KF really is a tiny, stubborn, petty, classless, insecure old man at times. And a LAZY recruiter.

So Deano, now that you have heard the frustration from an actual player, not to mention experts recently who have said this policy doesn't work anymore, especially at a school like Iowa, I would love to know your thoughts?

I would like to know this as well.

If Kirk continues to stay with his outdated recruiting policies, Iowa State will be beating us every year. Do you think Iowa State has a policy that recruits can't visit another school after a verbal commit? I doubt it. When you have a chance to get 4-star recruits from Texas, you need to do everything you can to keep them. Screw your recruiting policy!!!

Every school, with the exception of Alabama and OSU, discourages recruits from continuing to visit other schools after committing to them. We're the only ones dumb enough to publicize it, though! :)

So, GarBar ... ya know that shackling you did to Iowa football, TWICE, in the last 6 years? Wasn't that supposed to yield even more stability and continuity in every facet of the program? I believe you said,

"There is strong momentum surrounding the Hawkeye football program. Whether it's on the field, recruiting, academics, facilities, or with his staff, we're achieving at a high level today, and are well positioned for continued success for years to come."

How's all that payin' off fer ya?
Problem is 12-0 last year and he's going to point to a toilet bowl appearance this year at 7-5 as success

The only power or control a college athlete has is where they attend college. They have NONE once they arrive on campus. Why wouldn't they want to exercise that last bit of control and find the best fit for them?

KF's policy is outdated. He needs to really sell the positives of the program and keep reminding these kids this EVEN AS THEY TAKE OTHER VISITS. He comes across as so controlling and insecure. His stubbornness and overall attitude has backfired too often. In all areas. Truly gifted skill players don't want to come play in this shitcan offense, or if they do they are totally marginalized. Can you quit chiding Akrum's weight in public for chrissakes? The kid just quite possibly single-handedly saved your season against Michigan. Would Ronnie Harmon have existed in a KF regime? Pretty much the same size.

Since HE isn't going anywhere, unfortunately, Davis and Kennedy need to hit the road. He needs to modernize his offense and stay far enough away from it that it it doesn't look and sound like a sucking chest wound most of the time.

He needs to roll up his sleeves and really recruit the hell out of players. Keep recruiting them even after their verbal. He can't treat recruiting like it's NFL draft day. A one day event where he has all the power.

And if I hear one more time that "we will reevaluate at the end of the season" I'm gonna puke. EVERYTHING with him is an end of season reeval. And we wonder why our abysmal game planning never changes from game to game??

End of rant.

I can tell you missed Brian Kelly's pressers where he said they don't care about vacating wins.

MSU is having a down year after many years of national relevance. Not just one fluke year.

Texas is firing their staff because they boosters and fans don't settle for mediocrity.

WTF would I watch Brian Kelly's pressers? And if he REALLY said he doesn't care about vacating wins, he better be updating his resume.

F this kid. He knew what the policy was when he decided to commit. The rules don't change just because you say yes.

Sorry bro... no preferential treatment just you got highschool game.

F this kid. He knew what the policy was when he decided to commit. The dukes don't change just because you say yes. Sorry bro... no preferential treatment just you got highschool game.

Exactly. Eno and Crew are looking for reasons to say they won't honor their commitments without looking like fair-weather opportunists loving the attention and possible "inducements" from other schools.

Latest posts