Gavin Holmes Talks to HN About Decision to Decommit from Iowa

Exactly. Eno and Crew are looking for reasons to say they won't honor their commitments without looking like fair-weather opportunists loving the attention and possible "inducements" from other schools.

I thought this too. But now I wonder why a kid would hold a grudge if all they did was give him the out he wanted. It seems like he is truly upset he got his offer pulled.

I thought this too. But now I wonder why a kid would hold a grudge if all they did was give him the out he wanted. It seems like he is truly upset he got his offer pulled.
It's because he doesn't have a better offer. Maybe other coaches are staying away based on what he's done w Iowa. The coaching family is small and talks a lot. I hope Iowa gets Armstrong and Martin, would make all this worrying for nothing.

Last edited:
Discourages it, doesn't pull scholarships if they do!!

I'm not aware of a single time we've pulled a scholly when a kid wanted to take more visits. I do know that the coaches will tell a kid that if they want to visit another school that they will not guarantee that they won't look at recruiting over them. But I'm not aware of a time that they've flat out yanked an offer...

Boom. Nailed it. Nobody expects to be the next Bama. But there is no reason to put something that pathetic on the field. 121/128?
The same can be said about the possibility of a coaching change. Why does making a coaching change always have to mean the program is automatically going to be worse off? Just don't get it with the Iowa fan base sometimes.

It is the same as it was two weeks ago. Holmes has been in the pipeline to cut ties for a little bit. There is a reason he was at OU with Eno a couple weeks ago when Iowa was beating Iowa. Rob knew this was coming, the staff knew this was coming with Holmes.

Listen you don't have to believe me, just ask Rob, there is more to this story, and I don't think the coaches are all to blame like some here think. There are just too many rumors out there to know which ones are true and which ones are full of shit, so I'm not going to start spouting them on here, I will also say that since there are so many rumors out there, that where there is smoke there is fire. Much like I posted on this board a few weeks before any Eno stuff blew up, there was some smoke there, and some bad signals there, and per usual, where there was smoke there was fire about Eno being gone.

I will say that if both sides of this story was known it wouldn't surprise me that it wouldn't change the minds at all of those who have a negative spin on the program. Others would look at it and say, well I guess I get it, both sides seem to need blame, and others would look at it and say the coaches were right in cutting ties with Eno.

My personal opinion is this isn't much of a loss with Eno. I think it sucks we lost out on 2 very good WR though, which stinks, it is a position of need, and a position we don't recruit well.
Funny how you say not to put blame on the coaches and then at the end of your post say that WR is "a position we don't recruit well." I forgot, who is in charge of recruiting?

The same can be said about the possibility of a coaching change. Why does making a coaching change always have to mean the program is automatically going to be worse off? Just don't get it with the Iowa fan base sometimes.

I really, really really hope I'm wrong with what I am about to say.

But I have this uneasy feeling that a large portion of the Hawkeye fanbase believes the natural level of success for Iowa is no different than Iowa State. Which is to say that Iowa is actually a bottom-dweller with one single reason for not inhabiting the bottom of the Big Ten. And that is Kirk Ferentz. That he and he alone has the magic to take Iowa to the impressive achievement of AVERAGING 7 wins per year.

^^^^ I believe this represents the logic in Deano's brain.

Funny how you say not to put blame on the coaches and then at the end of your post say that WR is "a position we don't recruit well." I forgot, who is in charge of recruiting?

I don't blame the coaches for Enos actions. Sorry, but I think Eno is responsible for Eno.

Who else Have I ever said is responsible for recruiting but the coaches? I'm not the one spouting off that Eno is our greatest recruiter ever.....that is other posters.

Last edited:
Dean, I don't have your rumors. Guess - The kid is anti-recruiting Iowa now that they dumped him? I'm shocked.

I know Kirk doesn't like to recruit. I know he likes the kids that make good stories, and he prefers player development. Be a good CEO, then, and hire a recruiting coordinator or a OC/DC that likes to recruit to the whistle. Otherwise you are losing recruits and you have to backfill anyway, which just means even more time doing the thing you don't like to do.

No, I don't think Iowa will ever be a top ten recruiting school. But my expectations are that it be a top 35 recruiting school. My expectations are for it to be a top 25 school year in and year out. That's 8 - 9 wins a season. That's beating everyone but the top two east teams you have to face and losing to one or two of the top west schools. That's being a little better than a sanctioned 65 scholarship, no bowl berth Penn State level of recruiting. I don't think that's too unreasonable.

If I were Barta, the extension would have been written in terms of top 25 finishes. Every year finishing in the top 25 is a 75 percent year on the contact buyout, plus bonus money and raises for coordinators. Top 20, 85 percent and more bonus. Top 15 100 percent and more bonus.
This makes too much sense, who allowed you to post this here!?!?!

But I have this uneasy feeling that a large portion of the Hawkeye fanbase believes the natural level of success for Iowa is no different than Iowa State. Which is to say that Iowa is actually a bottom-dweller with one single reason for not inhabiting the bottom of the Big Ten. And that is Kirk Ferentz. That he and he alone has the magic to take Iowa to the impressive achievement of AVERAGING 7 wins per year.

This x 4.5 million

How is ISU anything close to the same as Iowa. At ISU 7 wins makes you the all time best coach at ISU.....at Iowa it gets me to call for your head (after the 2014 season).

If you'd bother to read my posts, I have said any number of times that I think the next coach at Iowa will win right near what Hayden (60% rate) and Ferentz (59.5% rate) won at over their 20 and 17 year careers. I think I put like 75% odds the next guy matches those two success, because Iowa is a good program. Like a 10% chance he wins at a higher rate and 15% chance he wins at a lesser rate.

How is ISU anything close to the same as Iowa. At ISU 7 wins makes you the all time best coach at ISU.....at Iowa it gets me to call for your head (after the 2014 season).

If you'd bother to read my posts, I have said any number of times that I think the next coach at Iowa will win right near what Hayden (60% rate) and Ferentz (59.5% rate) won at over their 20 and 17 year careers. I think I put like 75% odds the next guy matches those two success, because Iowa is a good program. Like a 10% chance he wins at a higher rate and 15% chance he wins at a lesser rate.
Come on brah, you argued with me last week about how hard Iowa would fall off and that we should be careful what we wish for if we got rid of Captain KirFer. All I want for Xmas is Bret Bielema.

Come on brah, you argued with me last week about how hard Iowa would fall off and that we should be careful what we wish for if we got rid of Captain KirFer. All I want for Xmas is Bret Bielema.

Sorry man, that wasn't me brah. Ask PC, he chimed in and tweaked the % I was laying down for improvement, staying the same and dropping off.

I don't think KF is the end all beat all, It wouldn't bother me at all if he stepped down tomorrow. I just defend him from the stupid.....there just seems to be a lot of that around here.

Oh, and I see you decided to stash away 56 for awhile. Weird how it goes in cycles.....56 steps away, and Okst steps on up.....the dirty 30 at it's finest.....

This isn't about no visit policies. If Iowa was 11-0 right now all of these kids would still be on board.

A good example of what you say is Fant. Last year Iowa was a darling and Debby tanked. It was easy for Fant to stay with Iowa under those circumstances.

Sorry man, that wasn't me brah. Ask PC, he chimed in and tweaked the % I was laying down for improvement, staying the same and dropping off.

I don't think KF is the end all beat all, It wouldn't bother me at all if he stepped down tomorrow. I just defend him from the stupid.....there just seems to be a lot of that around here.

Oh, and I see you decided to stash away 56 for awhile. Weird how it goes in cycles.....56 steps away, and Okst steps on up.....the dirty 30 at it's finest.....

I do recall that convo. We were close on percentages but I think I was a little bit more optimistic on getting better. The odds are overwhelming stacked that we would be about the same tho. It's all about what you want. If you want the great man clean cut program, there is no reason to want a new coach. If you want am exciting style of play it's worth the gamble. I lean towards the latter but understand the other side.

I do recall that convo. We were close on percentages but I think I was a little bit more optimistic on getting better. The odds are overwhelming stacked that we would be about the same tho. It's all about what you want. If you want the great man clean cut program, there is no reason to want a new coach. If you want am exciting style of play it's worth the gamble. I lean towards the latter but understand the other side.

If crying in public makes someone a great man then he is great. If you look at the scandals over 18 years he is no different than 99% of the men that are his peers.

Latest posts