Garza....

Gotta remember McHale was a overlooked college player. Rarely dunked, he deferred to other big men at Minny. It wasn't until his time with the Celtics he really blossomed. I clearly remember the game where he dunked over someone ( can't remember who) then he was off the races. He developed his game over his career. Garza is light years ahead of McHale in college. Honestly he's light years ahead of any center Iowa's had in my lifetime.
It took McHale several years to play his way out the Celtics famous "sixth man role" that Havlicek and others had before him and an aging Bill Walton had after him. The Celtics had Cedric Maxwell in the early eighties. He, like McHale, had a million moves around the basket and stepped his game up even more in the postseason, winning at least one championship series MVP.

Like everyone, McHale benefitted from playing with Larry Bird. He was one of those immortals who made everyone better.
Gotta remember McHale was a overlooked college player. Rarely dunked, he deferred to other big men at Minny. It wasn't until his time with the Celtics he really blossomed. I clearly remember the game where he dunked over someone ( can't remember who) then he was off the races. He developed his game over his career. Garza is light years ahead of McHale in college. Honestly he's light years ahead of any center Iowa's had in my lifetime.

Purdue is just a well coached, disciplined team. It's also well put together.
Don't rule them out for winning the conference. Especially after the Iowa and Indiana wins of this weekend. Michigan and Michigan State play each other twice, meaning both will have another loss or one will have two more losses. I'd have to look at Purdue's schedule but they seem to be in good position and have already won some big conference games on the road.

EDIT: My mistake. I'm replying to 2018 posts. I threw a few back last night. I still like Purdue this year as well.:)

Last edited:
Kaminsky is a very unusual situation. He went from a 6'1 PG as a HS freshmen to 6'10 by his junior year. That's a huge growth spurt and a big adjustment. I don't know Garza's history as a basketball player but I'm pretty sure he never played PG. I'd be careful who you compared him to in projecting expectations. I've seen Frank Kaminsky get to the rim off the bounce, from the 3pt line, that included a spin move and score. I'm gonna go out on a limb right now and say that we'll never, ever see Garza do that and produce anything but a turnover.
I also think Bo made a mistake by not playing Kaminsky more as a SO. He was much better option than Bruessewitz, IMO. But, who am I to second guess Bo Ryan?
They had another post player about ten years ago, Jon Leuer, who had a similiar growth spurt even later in high school. Might have been between his junior and senior years. In any case he was a big who also had some residual guard skills when he arrived at Wisconsin.

It wasn't quite from the three point line, but Garza's spin move and conversion Friday night was a sweet thing all the same. Big time move. I wish he could move his feet like that when he guards Jordan Murphy, who will probably receive a plaque from Garza on his senior day as a token or appreciation from Luka for departing the conference and no longer abusing him

Garza disappears in big games. The guy couldn't even break 20 points last night.
LOL. His early foul trouble helped Kriener break fifteen however.

If Ryan keeps coming on we have a nice three man rotation at the four and five. Which allows Fran to spell Cook and Garza and make them even more effective. Fran, by way, goached a gem against Michigan and for all the ripping I do on him that can't be overstated.

Speaking of Kriener, he had a great game Friday night. If you leave him alone from the 3 pt line he can hit that shot. He is good around the hoop and has pretty good touch offensively. He was great at being around the hoop to put back in any garbage that did not go down the first shot. He rebounded well. He shoots free throws well. He is tough. With him, Garza and Wieskamp those are three really solid players to build a team around and they are all young!

I'm starting to wonder if Garza will break the scoring record at iowa. I've been thinking Wiescamp would eventually do it, but the more I think about it, the more it looks like Garza might. The guy is a machine.

The biggest thing with our big men is depth. Remember. They run an extra 10-15 feet each way on every possession. I still think fatigue lead to MSU's big run in the second half, especially with TC and Garza. Now with Ryan K. coming along so well, that will continue to make a big difference.

Garza's greatest attribute, along with his footwork, is his ability to put the biscuit in the basket. He just seems to have a knack at making shots from all angles.

I'm starting to wonder if Garza will break the scoring record at iowa. I've been thinking Wiescamp would eventually do it, but the more I think about it, the more it looks like Garza might. The guy is a machine.

You got me interested.:) Marble had 2,116 and is the only one to eclipse 2,000. Garza has 686 points in 52 games for a career average of 13.2 per game. Let's do some math.

Games left being conservative = 11 this year and lets say 34 each of the next two years for a total of 79 games remaining.

Using his career average:

13.2 * 79 = 1,042.8 + 686 = 1,728.8 (would be 5th all time)​

Using this season's average (15.1):

15.1 * 79 = 1,192.9 + 686 = 1,878.9 (would be 2nd all time)​

Using this conference season average (16.4):

16.4 * 79 = 1,295.6 + 686 = 1,981.6 (would be 2nd all time)​

Using a hypothetical Jarrod Uthoff senior year (18.9):

18.9 * 79 = 2,179.1 (would be 1st all time)​

Actual points & per game needed to be 1st all time (based on 79 estimated remaining games):

2,117 - 686 = 1,431 / 79 = 18.11
So, I guess it's possible but he'll need to stay healthy and continue to increase his point production. To your point, Garza was indeed ahead of Joe at the same point in their frosh year. Joe is on pace to be just shy of 400 points this year while Garza hit that mark on the head a year ago.

Garza when he's going is really fun to watch. The only thing that might keep him from hitting 17 plus a game avg to do it would be his teammates. Having a balanced team and other capable guys that can put in 14 plus on the regular can make that tough to do. Garza is by no means selfish. He's a great passer and the trio of bigs we have are all good at passing to each other from the high post. We can't do that enough as far as I'm concerned.

You got me interested.:) Marble had 2,116 and is the only one to eclipse 2,000. Garza has 686 points in 52 games for a career average of 13.2 per game. Let's do some math.

Games left being conservative = 11 this year and lets say 34 each of the next two years for a total of 79 games remaining.

Actual points & per game needed to be 1st all time (based on 79 estimated remaining games):

So, I guess it's possible but he'll need to stay healthy and continue to increase his point production. To your point, Garza was indeed ahead of Joe at the same point in their frosh year. Joe is on pace to be just shy of 400 points this year while Garza hit that mark on the head a year ago.
It's difficult to imagine him scoring at a higher rate than Greg Stokes or Acie Earl, .who are both top five all times. But you never know. Stokes and Earl never made free throws like Luka which allows him to pick up huge amounts of hidden points. They couldn't shoot three pointers like him either.

Don't forget Cook, who will challenge that record next year if he somehow comes back.

Thanks man I was really hoping someone would do this. He definitely needs to stay healthy.

Latest posts