Garza....

For old schoolers, Garza = Kevin McHale? OK maybe a stretch as well because he doesn't have the turnaround J that KM had but still....
Gotta remember McHale was a overlooked college player. Rarely dunked, he deferred to other big men at Minny. It wasn't until his time with the Celtics he really blossomed. I clearly remember the game where he dunked over someone ( can't remember who) then he was off the races. He developed his game over his career. Garza is light years ahead of McHale in college. Honestly he's light years ahead of any center Iowa's had in my lifetime.

Gotta remember McHale was a overlooked college player. Rarely dunked, he deferred to other big men at Minny. It wasn't until his time with the Celtics he really blossomed. I clearly remember the game where he dunked over someone ( can't remember who) then he was off the races. He developed his game over his career. Garza is light years ahead of McHale in college. Honestly he's light years ahead of any center Iowa's had in my lifetime.
Mchale avgd 12/8 as a FR. Garza is 11/6.7.

I still want a penetrating explosive PG. Could you imagine one that breaks the defense down and can kick it out to JBO for spot up 3s? Just an assassin out around the perimeter and would love to use him more off screens and less on ball handling.
How about an athletic shot blocking center who can also score thrown in? You need both

There is no comparison between Mchale and Garza regardless of stats. If Mchale showed up on campus as a freshman he could get through two suicide drills before Garza could get thru one. Mchale could run the floor before he learned his 16 different post up moves.

I did this earlier in the year but ran the numbers again....

In the 12 wins, Garza is averaging 15 points per game
In the 12 losses, Garza is averaging 7 points per game
Now why would you go and do something crazy like using facts and statistics?

You should know by now those sorts of things don’t work around here.

Great point on Nunge. He has arguably the most potential of anyone on this team. A year in the strength program could do him wonders. He has the basketball skill and the shot to be a very special player. Confidence will be key.
No doubt he has some skills, but boy is he slow. Especially if FM wants him at the 3.

There is no comparison between Mchale and Garza regardless of stats. If Mchale showed up on campus as a freshman he could get through two suicide drills before Garza could get thru one. Mchale could run the floor before he learned his 16 different post up moves.
I think your selling him short... Dude was as close to Olajuwon in that regard as there's ever been. It's probably more like 25 post moves. In his hay day he was great in his own right. What a front line they had for a long time

No doubt he has some skills, but boy is he slow. Especially if FM wants him at the 3.
Actually for his size he has above average foot speed. Let’s remember he’s 6’11 some even think he’s pushing close to 7’. I remember in the summer other bigs on the team raving about how well he could run for a guy that size. Again none of this shows when he’s being asked to guard 3s. Some of his struggles on defense I also think have just been poor closeouts, and overthinking a little bit.

McHale was all arms and legs and did have a lot more post moves than Garza has right now. Give Garza some time though.

Garza is a beast and a great Hawkeye. He may not be fleet of foot but his offensive game is fantastic.

I keep thinking Bill Walton or The Chief from the Boston Celtics team. I can't believe I forgot his name! I love Luka's hook shots. A thing of beauty!

I keep thinking Bill Walton or The Chief from the Boston Celtics team. I can't believe I forgot his name! I love Luka's hook shots. A thing of beauty!
You're thinking of Robert Parish.

Garza is what we were wanting Woodbury to be. His arsenal of post movies is incredible and the fact he can stretch the d is just icing on the cake.

Bro not sure what your obsession with me is, but let's enjoy the great win.

Just stop being an idiot when we lose a game. Don’t post ridiculousness and then delete it, then lie about making those comments and act like all is well when we win. Be a better fan. Check yourself. Have a good one. Go Hawks.

Latest posts