Garza....

I still want a penetrating explosive PG. Could you imagine one that breaks the defense down and can kick it out to JBO for spot up 3s? Just an assassin out around the perimeter and would love to use him more off screens and less on ball handling.
It could be an explosive penetrating SG as well.

Look no further than Purdue. Their primary PG is PJ Thompson. He is not athletic, doesn’t break down defenders off the dribble, at SG they have Carsen Edwards who has a scorers mentality, and can do it off the bounce. The defense focuses their attention on Edwards (and others), which allows for Thompson to get plenty of opportunities to do what he does best, which is knocking down 3s, he is shooting over 50% from behind the arc.

If you put a guy like Carsen Edwards on Iowa at SG, JBo would get a lot more open looks than he does right now.

I still want a penetrating explosive PG. Could you imagine one that breaks the defense down and can kick it out to JBO for spot up 3s? Just an assassin out around the perimeter and would love to use him more off screens and less on ball handling.
Yeah if your putting an Xmas list together it'd sure be nice. They don't just fall down the chimney though as we well know. So we do with what we have. This year is a bit of a bridge/throw away year. Hopefully we can use the remaining games to help these guys gain confidence and define roles. For a guy like Nunge to begin playing more and better that could be huge. I was joking sorta with how I mentioned him earlier but just think of how much better this team would be if the Nunge we'll have in 2 yrs was playing instead of this version of him?

Yeah if your putting an Xmas list together it'd sure be nice. They don't just fall down the chimney though as we well know. So we do with what we have. This year is a bit of a bridge/throw away year. Hopefully we can use the remaining games to help these guys gain confidence and define roles. For a guy like Nunge to begin playing more and better that could be huge. I was joking sorta with how I mentioned him earlier but just think of how much better this team would be if the Nunge we'll have in 2 yrs was playing instead of this version of him?
Great point on Nunge. He has arguably the most potential of anyone on this team. A year in the strength program could do him wonders. He has the basketball skill and the shot to be a very special player. Confidence will be key.

Go where? Lol.

I don’t know if you’ve watched the NBA lately but they aren’t looking for 6’11 guys who are slow of foot. There isn’t much back to the basket play in the league anymore. Nunge has much more NBA potential than Garza.

With that said Garza is going to be an awesome player for us for the next several years so I’m glad we have him.

He is shooting 36% from 3 (low volume, but he is young). If you are a big in the NBA, you have to be a threat on offense by either a) posting-up and scoring or drawing a double, b) screening and rolling hard to the hoop, or c) drawing defenders out of the paint with outside shooting. I think Garza could potentially be effective in some of those capacities (most likely c, perhaps a, probably not b). After a slow start, Kaminsky is turning into a pretty effective offensive player in the league with a skill set not too dissimilar to Garza.

On D, you have to be able to either defend the rim or have the quickness to chase on the perimeter. Garza will never be able to do the latter. Can he do the former? Maybe. A lot of it is smarts and effort. Marc Gasol has been NBA Defensive Player of the year without eye-popping athleticism.

He is shooting 36% from 3 (low volume, but he is young). If you are a big in the NBA, you have to be a threat on offense by either a) posting-up and scoring or drawing a double, b) screening and rolling hard to the hoop, or c) drawing defenders out of the paint with outside shooting. I think Garza could potentially be effective in some of those capacities (most likely c, perhaps a, probably not b). After a slow start, Kaminsky is turning into a pretty effective offensive player in the league with a skill set not too dissimilar to Garza.

On D, you have to be able to either defend the rim or have the quickness to chase on the perimeter. Garza will never be able to do the latter. Can he do the former? Maybe. A lot of it is smarts and effort. Marc Gasol has been NBA Defensive Player of the year without eye-popping athleticism.
Kaminsky has twice the foot speed as Garza has, that is why he is considered a “4” at 7 feet tall. Maybe Garza can improve in that area but highly unlikely.

Let’s just hope he learns how to protect the Rim at the college level, which he hasn’t shown yet.

Just my opinion, but Garza has little shot at the NBA. Cook and Nunge are probably the two with the most potential on this team, and even their chances aren’t spectacular.

Go where? Lol.

I don’t know if you’ve watched the NBA lately but they aren’t looking for 6’11 guys who are slow of foot. There isn’t much back to the basket play in the league anymore. Nunge has much more NBA potential than Garza.

With that said Garza is going to be an awesome player for us for the next several years so I’m glad we have him.

I understand your take, but he is only a Freshman and has grown like a weed over the last few years. The body frame that he possesses is particularly hard to find grace in. I think it's entirely possible that Garza continues to get comfortable in his body and his footwork and foot speed improves enough to make him NBA potential.

I am constantly put off by many fans views that you are either born with superhuman size, speed and grace or you are not worth development. This is a fallacy. There are hundreds of cases where determination, hard work, and development have led unexpected people to the NBA. I do believe that Garza already possesses the 2 former and I belive that the latter will show over the next few years.

Kaminsky has twice the foot speed as Garza has, that is why he is considered a “4” at 7 feet tall. Maybe Garza can improve in that area but highly unlikely.

Let’s just hope he learns how to protect the Rim at the college level, which he hasn’t shown yet.

Just my opinion, but Garza has little shot at the NBA. Cook and Nunge are probably the two with the most potential on this team, and even their chances aren’t spectacular.

LOL I remember Kaminsky as a Sophomore and he was a plus shooter and a huge liability in most other areas. He most certainly did not possess NBA foot speed as a Freshman or Sophomore. In truth he really didn't emerge on an NBA level until his Senior year. Garza is already better in the post than Kaminsky was in his first 3 years at Wisconsin and Garza has a pretty decent shot as well. All as a freshman. There are ample reasons to believe Garza could become something truly special. Don't get stuck on Woodbury syndrome. Instead remember overwhelming success stories of Olasani, White and Uthoff.

Look no further than Purdue. Their primary PG is PJ Thompson. He is not athletic, doesn’t break down defenders off the dribble, at SG they have Carsen Edwards who has a scorers mentality, and can do it off the bounce. The defense focuses their attention on Edwards (and others), which allows for Thompson to get plenty of opportunities to do what he does best, which is knocking down 3s, he is shooting over 50% from behind the arc.

If you put a guy like Carsen Edwards on Iowa at SG, JBo would get a lot more open looks than he does right now.
Purdue is just a well coached, disciplined team. It's also well put together.

LOL I remember Kaminsky as a Sophomore and he was a plus shooter and a huge liability in most other areas. He most certainly did not possess NBA foot speed as a Freshman or Sophomore. In truth he really didn't emerge on an NBA level until his Senior year. Garza is already better in the post than Kaminsky was in his first 3 years at Wisconsin and Garza has a pretty decent shot as well. All as a freshman. There are ample reasons to believe Garza could become something truly special. Don't get stuck on Woodbury syndrome. Instead remember overwhelming success stories of Olasani, White and Uthoff.
Kaminsky is a very unusual situation. He went from a 6'1 PG as a HS freshmen to 6'10 by his junior year. That's a huge growth spurt and a big adjustment. I don't know Garza's history as a basketball player but I'm pretty sure he never played PG. I'd be careful who you compared him to in projecting expectations. I've seen Frank Kaminsky get to the rim off the bounce, from the 3pt line, that included a spin move and score. I'm gonna go out on a limb right now and say that we'll never, ever see Garza do that and produce anything but a turnover.
I also think Bo made a mistake by not playing Kaminsky more as a SO. He was much better option than Bruessewitz, IMO. But, who am I to second guess Bo Ryan?

Last edited:

I'd give Cook a 15% chance at getting minutes on a regular basis, for an NBA team. I'd give Garza a 2% chance. The rest of the team I'd give 0.1% chance.

Kaminsky’s foot speed was well ahead of Garza’s at any point in their respective careers.

I’m not stuck on Woodbury syndrome, I think Garza is going to be a great college player, he just doesn’t project as an NBA talent. Some of you guys have Kaminsky syndrome, where any big that can shoot the ball is the next Frank the Tank.... I got news for you, that ain’t happening.

I'd give Garza as many minutes as he can handle until he fouled out, each and every game. He's earned that much with his effort alone. I don't want to discourage his effort by taking him out of the game when he gets a few fouls. I'd much rather he learn how to adjust in the games, to limit his fouls. It won't hurt this season any.

I understand your take, but he is only a Freshman and has grown like a weed over the last few years. The body frame that he possesses is particularly hard to find grace in. I think it's entirely possible that Garza continues to get comfortable in his body and his footwork and foot speed improves enough to make him NBA potential.

I am constantly put off by many fans views that you are either born with superhuman size, speed and grace or you are not worth development. This is a fallacy. There are hundreds of cases where determination, hard work, and development have led unexpected people to the NBA. I do believe that Garza already possesses the 2 former and I belive that the latter will show over the next few years.
Garza I believe lost a lot of weight between his Jr and Sr years of HS. I think he was over 260-270 before he got down to where he's at now around 235ish. An off season of lifting and getting stronger will help him so much. He has a little Adam Woodbury in him in that when he gets the ball down low he's got little to no lift when he goes back up with the ball. He does a great job of holding the ball high but as far as jumping he has no explosion in that regard. Something for him to work on

Kaminsky’s foot speed was well ahead of Garza’s at any point in their respective careers.

I’m not stuck on Woodbury syndrome, I think Garza is going to be a great college player, he just doesn’t project as an NBA talent. Some of you guys have Kaminsky syndrome, where any big that can shoot the ball is the next Frank the Tank.... I got news for you, that ain’t happening.

We just disagree. That is ok. That is the nature of forums. I will re-watch some early Kaminsky games to make sure my memory serves true, but without some revelation I just don't see it that way.

Garza I believe lost a lot of weight between his Jr and Sr years of HS. I think he was over 260-270 before he got down to where he's at now around 235ish. An off season of lifting and getting stronger will help him so much. He has a little Adam Woodbury in him in that when he gets the ball down low he's got little to no lift when he goes back up with the ball. He does a great job of holding the ball high but as far as jumping he has no explosion in that regard. Something for him to work on

Strength and conditioning is proven to be able to add 4 to 5 inches of vert. He will never be leaping out of the gym, but I believe he could be adequate.

Strength and conditioning is proven to be able to add 4 to 5 inches of vert. He will never be leaping out of the gym, but I believe he could be adequate.
Yeah I don't think he'll be giving Tyler Cook any lessons anytime soon in that regard but being 6'11 to start with 4 or 5 more inches would make all the difference in the world

Yeah I don't think he'll be giving Tyler Cook any lessons anytime soon in that regard but being 6'11 to start with 4 or 5 more inches would make all the difference in the world

Yup yup that's my point. It is entirely possible and I will hold optimistic hopes until the preponderance of evidence suggest otherwise.

For old schoolers, Garza = Kevin McHale? OK maybe a stretch as well because he doesn't have the turnaround J that KM had but still....

Yep, either way we need someone who can take it to the rack for sure. Moss just isn't gonna ever get there it seems. Good shooter, horrible ball handler and just disappears for a few games in a row, then will have a good game, then back to disappearing for a couple. No killer instinct or something with him. I think his ball handling just kills what he could possibly do.

Latest posts