Gary Barta receives contract extension and raise

Anyone here who acts surprised is a phony drama queen. You knew this was coming, ladies.

lack of self-awareness meter

meter.gif

I pooped my pants reading he is on some sort of pay accelerator.
I thought you had to perform to get something like that??

I wish I could have received big raises while not leading my departments or doing my job without any measurable success. How is Barta being measured, surely not by sport championships. Yes we graduate student athletes at a very good rate and seem to have a clean program and that is good. But athletics is about winning contests and championships along with fair play (you may think the fair play thing is quaint but I believe in fair play).

I mean we are talking about a 25% raise. WTF, give him a 2% cost of living raise and put the other $190,000 into scholarships or even in the general fund.

I don't think I can take 5 more years of Kirk, unless he wins the BIG at least twice, but I don't see that happening
With a talented team, experience at the QB and elsewhere, with high expectations, most often, the issue is, in which important, close games will KF and staff piss down leg, with comments blaming players for the collapse.

I wish I could have received big raises while not leading my departments or doing my job without any measurable success. How is Barta being measured, surely not by sport championships. Yes we graduate student athletes at a very good rate and seem to have a clean program and that is good. But athletics is about winning contests and championships along with fair play (you may think the fair play thing is quaint but I believe in fair play).

I mean we are talking about a 25% raise. WTF, give him a 2% cost of living raise and put the other $190,000 into scholarships or even in the general fund.
The rule is, you have to reward your best employees with the best contracts or they will walk elsewhere. I am not sure what this cardinal rule has to do with Barta, however.

It seems eerily similar to the contracts he doles out. Perhaps it is a "saved default contract" that they use on most levels.

From a Cyclone fan's perspective:

1. Seems like Barta is just a placeholder to keep Ferentz happy because love it or hate it, Ferentz is a safe coach who usually gets you to and wins a bowl game and every few years jumps up to become a contender. Seldom does the football season just have a pile of crap year.

2. Also feels like Barta is choosing to die on the hill that is Fran McCaffery. Last year is enough proof of that.

3. Iowa as a whole is relevant in athletics and facilities, so he just has to keep steering the ship. Don't make any sudden crazy movements and don't let it crash. If they kept him after the civil lawsuit, they're not letting him go anytime soon.

4. Seems like Barta let Iowa rest on its laurels in terms of past history/winning and when the world of social media and increased PR scrutiny came about, he was very behind the 8-ball. Doesn't seem very accessible. Case in point, after making the controversial decision to suspend Dolph, he wouldn't face the media for a couple days.

5. He seems to be a reactive person instead of a proactive person.

1. I don't like Gary Barta 2. I don't like the extension. 3. Iowa hasn't been good enough in either of the 2 revenue sports for me personally. But, Iowa's athletic department isn't abysmal - it actually thrived quite well when compared to their peers over the last calendar year.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ucky-to-bring-the-2018-19-award-to-ann-arbor/

I would like Barta out as would a large percentage of Hawk fans. I didn't always feel this way, but through views and opinions on this site, my views have changed. But, I also on the other hand would like to point out that we aren't really scraping the bottom in regards to results, money, resources, success etc that people would like to make it.

I know I know... not enough championships. I agree. Iowa needs more. I just think about it in a spectrum of that over the last 20 years, only 16 programs have even played for a chance at the a National Title. 16 teams, that's it. That's not winning it, that's had the opportunity. The same programs are good every year. To me, that says something. Winning in CFB is hard, Iowa does a lot more winning then losing, so maybe THAT'S why GB keeps getting contracts? I dunno. If it's a results business, Iowa kind of gets good results (comparative to their peers)? I dunno?

The rule is, you have to reward your best employees with the best contracts or they will walk elsewhere. I am not sure what this cardinal rule has to do with Barta, however.

It seems eerily similar to the contracts he doles out. Perhaps it is a "saved default contract" that they use on most levels.

I think for an AD like Barta and some others and managers and executives in general it can be a combination of the good old boy network just keeping your friends in the job (which explains how failed execs keep getting hired at schools and businesses); it is fear of the future if you change a coach who is decent and the change fails so that the AD might lose their job; and I think it is just plain laziness/worry in not wanting to fire and then go through the whole process of hiring a big time coach.

Barta had no choice with Lickliter. I cant remember if Barta made the Brands hire and fired the previous wrestling coach. Barta I dont think hired Bluder so he really lucked out there because she is top notch coach, a good speaker, and backs her players.

And in actuality Kirk has more power than Barta overall. Barta could still be the firing person but Kirk has most of the power.

Based on the raises he's thrown around recently I find it the least bit ironic that he'd himself get one.

I think for an AD like Barta and some others and managers and executives in general it can be a combination of the good old boy network just keeping your friends in the job (which explains how failed execs keep getting hired at schools and businesses); it is fear of the future if you change a coach who is decent and the change fails so that the AD might lose their job; and I think it is just plain laziness/worry in not wanting to fire and then go through the whole process of hiring a big time coach.

Barta had no choice with Lickliter. I cant remember if Barta made the Brands hire and fired the previous wrestling coach. Barta I dont think hired Bluder so he really lucked out there because she is top notch coach, a good speaker, and backs her players.

And in actuality Kirk has more power than Barta overall. Barta could still be the firing person but Kirk has most of the power.
Concur on most of what you write.

Kirk has power and knows it, coy about it, of course, shuffling the deck for son's and family's future, entitled way of living and thinking, common of human nature and the majority of those who are on "the top" of the capitalism heap of humanity.

Kirk is a good fit for Iowa, which is risk averse to failure, fearing to be what "we once were." Championship coaches take creative, calculated risks that make for winning, rather than playing "safe vanilla" and keeping the job for hearth and home, of which there are many.

Kirkball in the NFL or SEC doesn't work that's why as close as he ever gets to them is to use them for bait for bigger contracts and extensions.

Latest posts