Gary Barta receives contract extension and raise

There is a master plan here.

This is the next phase in carrying that out.
Next phase? Kirk retires.
Followed by [fill in the blank].

Because it's hard to believe that there is any master plan that does not center on football. The only other thing would be overseeing the construction of a new basketball arena, but that seems far fetched right now.

That's my guess.

Everyone in this thread:

giphy.gif

While he had a principal hand in the screw up, what kind of legal advice did he get before he acted?
1) You're implying he sought legal counsel out. In order to receive legal advice on matters like this, would one not have to take the initiative to seek it out?

2) If you need a lawyer to tell you that you should document conversations dealing with personnel issues—especially those of an antagonistic nature—you shouldn't be managing a McDonald's, let alone a P5 athletic department.

Last edited:
1) You're implying he sought legal counsel out. In order to receive legal advice on matters like this would one not have to take the initiative to seek it out?

2) If you need a lawyer to tell you that you should document conversations dealing with personnel issues, especially those of an antagonistic nature, you shouldn't be managing a McDonald's, let a lone a P5 athletic department.
None of his actions are excused. I would think that one area of the law that UI legal counsel would be adept at would be employment law, as the UI has to be one of the largest employers in the state. I suppose if he didn't seek advice, then it's particularly egregious and foolhardy. I can't imagine him making this decision alone.

Barta's predecessor wasn't much like either if I remember? he's done OK. I'm surprised there wasn't a house cleaning after the university lost the lesbian case. Maybe the whole legal department should've been canned?

Kevin White is a survivor, dumps on Arizona St to jump to Notre Dame (his dream job), gets fired and now I see he's making $1.4M at Duke. Go figure that one.

Look at this way. At $1M, if you are buying football tickets no more than a couple bucks a game are going directly to pay Gary. That is a steeeeaaaallllllllllll. If only they made him come around to each seat and take up the collection during games. That'd be fun. Have the old collection baskets like in Church.

Latest posts