Gary Barta: Down to Outback or Holiday

Sooby

Gary Barta:
Have to see what plays out this weekend.
Down to Outback or Holiday.
Music City inching way out of the picture.

SOURCE:

Wow, didn't honestly see us getting a serious chance at the Outback Bowl.. that wouldd be excellent.

The Outback took us in 2005 over Michigan.
Plus, Iowa has represented quite well the last 4 times we were invited to the Outback.

It's Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska for the Outback, Holiday and Music City slots.
Holiday might be staring at a potential Iowa-Stanford, rematch, which both fan bases don't want.
As we know, Iowa beat both of those teams, and look it's 9:20pm, or 40 to 10.

The Outback took us in 2005 over Michigan.
Plus, Iowa has represented quite well the last 4 times we were invited to the Outback.

It's Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska for the Outback, Holiday and Music City slots.
Holiday might be staring at a potential Iowa-Stanford, rematch, which both fan bases don't want.
As we know, Iowa beat both of those teams, and look it's 9:20pm, or 40 to 10.

IIRC Iowa also leaped over NW one year.

I would be cool with a Stanford rematch.

I much, much prefer the Outback since we'd play an SEC team and not a PAC team. We've fared very poorly against the PAC over the years, like 1-9 or something.

I think the whole thing is more fluid

At the same time Nebby has not been to Outback and they have big brand and 9-3.

I think the whole thing is more fluid

At the same time Nebby has not been to Outback and they have big brand and 9-3.

Will their fans travel though? A lot of their fans probably still think Nebraska is a championship contender and see the Outback Bowl as beneath them.

Will their fans travel though? A lot of their fans probably still think Nebraska is a championship contender and see the Outback Bowl as beneath them.
If they think the Outback is beneath them what the heck did they go to that stupid bowl last year when they only won 5 games. :)

IIRC Iowa also leaped over NW one year.

I would be cool with a Stanford rematch.

Stanford is a fan base that travels quite poorly.

Nebraska barely got could fans to Jacksonville in 2013 when they played Georgia, with both teams being ranked.
I think Nebraska and Iowa would bring about the same number of fans to Tampa.

I would prefer the Music City Bowl against a lesser SEC team than in the Outback. Plus... It's 3.5 hours up the road for me! Wherever we play, hopefully we can get a beatable opponent. We NEED a bowl win!

I unfortunately work with several of them, and what you said is completely true. If it's not one of the original big 6 bowls they don't even pay attention. One guy I work with went on and on yesterday about how Nebraska should be a lock for the Orange Bowl; they just live in 1995 for eternity.

You can imagine my elation last year at the Foster Farms situation and their fans' lack of comebacks for my cheerleader jokes.

We should probably cut them a little slack for being unable to let go of how bad their football team sucks, though. There's literally nothing in that state other than Husker football, volleyball, and dirt. I read earlier this month that their single surviving tree blew over in a thunderstorm this summer near Ogallallalagala.

On a positive note I did sell my old dial-up modem and an almond phone cord to a guy in Beatrice for $250. I hear the state is finally getting internet.

Last edited:
I unfortunately work with several of them, and what you said is completely true. If it's not one of the original big 6 bowls they don't even pay attention. One guy I work with went on and on yesterday about how Nebraska should be a lock for the Orange Bowl; they just live in 1995 for eternity.

You can imagine my elation last year at the Foster Farms situation and their fans' lack of comebacks for my cheerleader jokes.

We should probably cut them a little slack for being unable to let go of how bad their football team sucks, though. There's literally nothing in that state other than Husker football, volleyball, and dirt. I read earlier this month that their single surviving tree blew over in a thunderstorm this summer near Ogallallalagala.

On a positive note I did sell my old dial-up modem and an almond phone cord to a guy in Beatrice for $250. I hear the state is finally getting internet access.

Funny joke but not realistic. If you went to developing countries, you would be amazed at how much better technology is as they aren't trying to use 40 year old infrastructure like in Iowa. I can't even get my smart phone to do anything in my home town. Some of the best sunsets are west of Iowa btw. When I lived in a Plains state I used to joke about going out to the state park to see "the tree". That was something I missed about being in Iowa.

Nebby fans will go to Outback. Better question is how much Iowa will travel given KF's more recent incredible bowl game preparations which allows scoring to galactic numbers....by the opponent.

My son lives in Nebraska. Said they were pretty depressed. Not much different than Iowa fans would be though. Imagine last year when we began to realize an undefeated season was in our grasp and it ending the way it has for Nebby. Some of the funniest people on earth to see are Iowa fans dressed up in polyester Hawk clothes. I think only MSU's green clothes are worse than some of the Iowa stuff. Where does Dollar General get that stuff?

I think it will be the Holiday but things can change for sure.
I personally would like to see Stanford again. If the RB does it again, it would be something to watch. The halftime show would certainly be worth watching.

I'd be OK seeing Stanford again. It sure would be more interesting than Washington St., IMO. USC would be a problem.

I would prefer the Music City Bowl against a lesser SEC team than in the Outback. Plus... It's 3.5 hours up the road for me! Wherever we play, hopefully we can get a beatable opponent. We NEED a bowl win!

meh, outside of Alabama the rest of the SEC is pretty mediocre. That doesn't mean Iowa can't lose (we've all watched this offense all year, we know they can lose to any bowl team) but whether they play the 4th best SEC team or the 6th or 7th best probably doesn't matter much. Is Kentucky really that much more of a sure bet than someone like Tennessee?

I'd be OK seeing Stanford again. It sure would be more interesting than Washington St., IMO. USC would be a problem.

If McCaffery were hurt, sure I wouldn't mind playing Stanford. I think you'd see another PSU type game if we play Stanford. We couldn't handle Barkley, we couldn't handle McCaffery last year, we won't be able to handle him this year.

Outback would be great, added bonus that Nebby fans are sick of going to the Holiday bowl and the SEC is weak this year other than Bama.

It will be interesting to see, if Iowa goes to the Holiday, how many fans would travel. Last January, the Rose Bowl trip, with a tour group, ran over $4,000. That is $8K for two people, just to do some sophisticated math. I know the high rollers will drop the dime and go. But guys like me, who have to budget pretty carefully for vacations, simply cannot justify another expensive trip. I was sort of hoping for the Music City Bowl. The Outback is one of my favorite venues and would be tempting. Would come down to the price.

Latest posts