Game Tuesday night not on BTN??

This is incorrect. When Mr. Davis was here and I was in grad school, I went to an MBA event where he spoke. Among the items he mentioned was that Iowa basketball -- at that time -- was the #1 syndicated TV broadcast in the US. He even stated "more viewers than 'Wheel of Fortune'."

I'd like to see something to back up that claim. I find it terribly difficult to believe.

WHen my year is up I just call again to complain and they will offer it to me again. I've been paying the same for about 5 year.s

I swear I heard this morning that this game would be aired on channel 123 on MediaCom. What network is that?

Is the stream on Big10Network.com free? Does it come in worth a sh--cyclone?

The streams have been pretty good really. The last one you could even tell the Big10 network was filming it in high def (the picture quality was great for streaming). That same broadcast they lost the announcer feed for most of the 1st half. When they came back on in the 2nd half, I kind of wished they lost the feed again.....they were awful!

Think before you speak...

I know this is a baskeball forum, but I think the BTN has done just a poor job overall at covering all the sports in general. The Big Ten is competitive in sports like Volleyball (Penn State Women winning 4th straight National Championship), Softball (Michigan and Northwestern being staples in the WCWS), Baseball, etc... However, the BTN chooses to cover sports that the US in general could care less about, more than some of the mainstream sports. I wonder if they listen to viewers out there? Yes, they cover all sports and have designated days that they cover them, but why during the Fall only two nights to cover a sport like Volleyball when they play on many days of the week, but replay Football games with scores that are blowouts? It is the same with all the sports, rerun football games that happend four or five months ago instead of teams that are dominant. It is sad and quite frankly, if they are worried about losing money then the Network shouldn't have came to fruition to begin with, that is a sorry excuse. Is it the Networks fault that Iowa is in the state it is? No, but there is still no reason to not show them on an alternate channel when they take all trouble to show football on those channels...yeah Purdue and Indiana was a marquee matchup. I know we are comparing other sports to football, but I thought that was part of the reason of the BTN to get all the sports exposure. Obviously, you can't air everything live, but at least show it.
On the how I choose to not pay to watch online, some of us aren't blessed enough to have the ability to pay for each event and watch online...guess the economy didn't affect some as it did others. The auto industry was not kind to me and my company and no, I am not looking for simpathy. Not an excuse and does not say anything about my love for the Hawkeyes, it is just reality.

the BTN provides more exposure to Olympic sports (others than football and men's basketball) than any other conference in the country, bar none and hands down. You may quip that Purdue and Indiana football is not deserving of being on an overflow channel, but that game BY FAR outdraws a Penn State volleyball game. The network has done a great job of giving exposure to these Olympic sports, where previously they had ZERO exposure. But make no mistake, the two cash cows that make the BTN viable are football and men's basketball. Those are the only things that cause satellite and cable systems to pick up the channel, or cause enough people to watch to charge advertising rates that can make money for the network and the league. If the BTN would show only volleyball, women's basketball, baseball, track, golf and swimming, it wouldn't last for 3 months. No one would pay for it, and the cable and satellite companies would laugh at them for proposing it be carried on their systems. But the Big 10 does care about those sports, that's why some of them are featured.

The network doesn't need any assistance in making money. Less than 3 years in and the revenue projections are already beyond what they thought when the network was created. The powers-at-be with the BTN turned college sports on its ear by creating its own network, providing more revenue to its members and more exposure to its member institutions. A crappy Iowa men's basketball team will have ALL of its conference basketball games in all 50 states for any person with DirecTV, Dish or a cable system picking up the Big Ten Network.

The rest of the leagues are jealous that they didn't have the stones or the smarts to do this before the Big 10 did.

Latest posts