Game Tuesday night not on BTN??

So again we're at the point where the Big Ten Network is the bad guy if they don't want to lose money by using an overflow channel to show a bottom-rung Big Ten team play a crap opponent in front of 5,000 people.

But it's perfectly acceptable for fans to b**** and moan because they don't want to have to pay a few bucks to get the online streaming?

If it shouldn't be about the money, then pay for the online streaming or buy a ticket and go to the game. If it's OK for it to be about the money, then recognize how little the demand is to see Iowa and La. Tech play.

Hey, if the BTN wants to be cheap and not pay the money to air the games, then they should not have started a freaking network dedicated to airing Big Ten sports then, should they? It's not the fans fault if the network is not getting enough revenue or are too big of tightwads to user their overflow channels just because it might cost money to do so. Or here's a novel idea.. Maybe the games shouldn't be scheduled right on top of each other so there aren't multiple games being played at the same time.

Regarding paying for streaming, I've seen too many times this year already where people have paid the money for streaming, and the streaming does not work, and said fans are out their money. Count me out. I'll just listen on the radio.

Besides, streaming used to be free. Now it is not. Notice a trend here?

By the way, I live in Tampa, FL so I can't make it to the games in person. T.V. is my only option.

Last edited:
Hey, if the BTN wants to be cheap and not pay the money to air the games, then they should not have started a freaking network dedicated to airing Big Ten sports then, should they? It's not the fans fault if the network is not getting enough revenue or are too big of tightwads to user their overflow channels just because it might cost money to do so. Or here's a novel idea.. Maybe the games shouldn't be scheduled right on top of each other so there aren't multiple games being played at the same time.

Regarding paying for streaming, I've seen too many times this year already where people have paid the money for streaming, and the streaming does not work, and said fans are out their money. Count me out. I'll just listen on the radio.

By the way, I live in Tampa, FL so I can't make it to the games in person. T.V. is my only option.

Again, the revenue gained from using the overflow channels isn't enough to offset the expenses, that isn't being cheap that is doing business the right way.

Every business, regardless of what they are selling (services or goods) does it this way and sure there are a few ****** off customers as a business can't make everyone happy, but you know what, the next time Iowa is on the BTN I bet you watch.

As far as scheduling games on top of each other, what do you propose, have Iowa on at 4:30 in the afternoon or start the game at 10:30 at night since the 6:30 and 8:30 time slots are taken?

Again, the revenue gained from using the overflow channels isn't enough to offset the expenses, that isn't being cheap that is doing business the right way.

Every business, regardless of what they are selling (services or goods) does it this way and sure there are a few ****** off customers as a business can't make everyone happy, but you know what, the next time Iowa is on the BTN I bet you watch.

As far as scheduling games on top of each other, what do you propose, have Iowa on at 4:30 in the afternoon or start the game at 10:30 at night since the 6:30 and 8:30 time slots are taken?

Agree 100 percent. A lot of fans on here apparently think it is OK for someone else to spend money and lose money, as long as it isn't them. Have the BTN lose money by showing a crappy Iowa team play a crappy opponent in a game that even fans in Iowa City won't go out to see? Fine. Have them spend a few bucks to stream it online? Whoa, that can't happen because we used to get the games for free 25 years ago.

If these fans are so up in arms because 2 bad teams playing a meaningless nonconference game won't be televised, then they should vote with their feet. Don't ever again watch the BTN. Get rid of cable/satellite that forces you to take that channel. Be serious about it.

Hey, if the BTN wants to be cheap and not pay the money to air the games, then they should not have started a freaking network dedicated to airing Big Ten sports then, should they?

Again I ask, where was it ever written/promised that with the BTN, every single game was going to be televised? Where did they ever write/promise that they would lose money by showing games that 99.9 percent of America couldn't give a crap about?

So it's news to you that things that used to be free are now being charged for? Seriously? What's next, you'll find out that a gallon of gas used to be 79 cents and a loaf of bread used to cost a dime? Welcome to life.

Agree 100 percent. A lot of fans on here apparently think it is OK for someone else to spend money and lose money, as long as it isn't them. Have the BTN lose money by showing a crappy Iowa team play a crappy opponent in a game that even fans in Iowa City won't go out to see? Fine. Have them spend a few bucks to stream it online? Whoa, that can't happen because we used to get the games for free 25 years ago.

If these fans are so up in arms because 2 bad teams playing a meaningless nonconference game won't be televised, then they should vote with their feet. Don't ever again watch the BTN. Get rid of cable/satellite that forces you to take that channel. Be serious about it.

Again I ask, where was it ever written/promised that with the BTN, every single game was going to be televised? Where did they ever write/promise that they would lose money by showing games that 99.9 percent of America couldn't give a crap about?

So it's news to you that things that used to be free are now being charged for? Seriously? What's next, you'll find out that a gallon of gas used to be 79 cents and a loaf of bread used to cost a dime? Welcome to life.

Given that the VAST majority of those who are looking to stream the games are already paying for the cable channel, that's crap. Give cable customers some kind of code for online games if you're worried about people dropping the cable to watch for free online. That way nobody watches for free. But it's crap for them to double-dip on their customers like that.

I like the fact Iowa gets a sh!t ton of money from the big10 network. I like the fact all the games are in high def. I like the fact the games are now national and not just local. If the trade off to gets those things is to sacrifice having 2 or 3 games carried, so be it. That is a good trade, and the benefits far outweigh the few fans who constantly b!tch about it......Either that or pony up the stinking $16 to watch the games streamed that they didn't carry.

Last edited:
Back to the OP, I don't think anyone else pointed this out but MC connections is airing the game at 9:30 on Tuesday.

I got the Drake game on Mediacom Connections channel. You sattelite guys are stupid and suckers.

Given that the VAST majority of those who are looking to stream the games are already paying for the cable channel, that's crap. Give cable customers some kind of code for online games if you're worried about people dropping the cable to watch for free online. That way nobody watches for free. But it's crap for them to double-dip on their customers like that.

EXACTLY the point. We're already paying a high enough price (which goes up and up every year) to have satellite, cable, etc. I'm not willing to pay even more to watch the games in an online feed that may or may not even work, just because the BTN either doesn't want to, or can't, pay the cost to televise the games.

It may be true that I'm not entitled to these things, but I also don't believe that anyone is entitled to my money, either.

So who's right? I'm already paying for the privledge of watching t.v - am I not doing my part by being a subscriber? The way I see it, it's up to the providers to do their part and put something on the air for me to watch in return, not expect me to shuck out additional money to watch it on the internet when they could the content on t.v.

Last edited:
EXACTLY the point. We're already paying a high enough price (which goes up and up every year) to have satellite, cable, etc. I'm not willing to pay even more to watch the games in an online feed that may or may not even work, just because the BTN either doesn't want to, or can't, pay the cost to televise the games.

Then don't pay the additional charge for streaming, and you won't see it. It's simple. No one has a gun to your head.

It may be true that I'm not entitled to these things, but I also don't believe that anyone is entitled to my money, either.

It MAY be true? This may be the crux of your whole problem, the sense of "entitlement" as a customer. No one told you that every single Iowa game would be shown on the BTN or other cable channels. Yet you're determined to sit there and pound your fists on the table, pouting about how "I'm paying for the BTN and they're not showing the game I want to see! Waah, waah!" You are "entitled" to get the channels you were promised, for the money they said it would cost. Nothing more, nothing less. Are you receiving the channels you were promised, for the money they said it would cost?

So who's right? I'm already paying for the privledge of watching t.v - am I not doing my part by being a subscriber? The way I see it, it's up to the providers to do their part and put something on the air for me to watch in return, not expect me to shuck out additional money to watch it on the internet when they could the content on t.v.

More entitlement. It sounds like you want your own personalized cable/satellite service, where you get only what you want, when you want it (and the prices can never go up).

Have you ever flipped through the channels and decided there's nothing worth watching, so you turned off the TV and did something else? If so, did the provider fail to live up to their side of the bargain then by not putting something on the air for you to watch?

If this is such an affront to yout rights as a customer, why don't you cancel whatever cable/satellite service you have and make sure they know why? Or will you be right back in front of the TV, tuned into the BTN to watch when Iowa plays Illinois on Dec. 29?

Back when the BTN first came out and Mediacom was refusing to carry it, It pushed me over the edge and I left mediacom for Imon cable. Now Mediacom is carrying the non BTN games and I am out in the cold again. I won't go back to mediacom, but it burns me that I may have to go over to a friends house to watch a game in crappy resolution on the connections channel.

I got the Drake game on Mediacom Connections channel. You sattelite guys are stupid and suckers.

I guess I will just have to be stupid and a sucker to keep paying less for cable even if it means I miss 2 out of 31 games that Mediacom carries.

I pay 90 bucks a month for cable plus internet and I'm locked in for a year. Theres nothing wrong with that at all.

I pay 90 bucks a month for cable plus internet and I'm locked in for a year. Theres nothing wrong with that at all.

There isn't anything wrong with that, but just wait until the year is up. I've been with Dish for around 36 months now, had an 18 month agreement but in the 18 months since that agreement ended I haven't had one rate increase, will Mediacom leave your rate the same after your year agreement?

I could probably get Mediacom cheaper now, but like I said what I'm paying after 2 1/2 years with Dish is still a lot cheaper then what it would be after 2 1/2 years with Mediacom and I don't want to keep changing providers every year.

Last edited:

I watched the Drake game on cable also at a bar, the picture sucked, almost unwatchable! As a HD snob, I have to say with satellite, I have way more high def channels, way more bandwidth to add even more high def channels. I pay less for more with better quality. Who is stupid and a sucker? You stick with that outdated, inferior technology if you want Duff, I will take my Satellite anyday. Also did you catch those NFL games on the NFL network Duff? Didn't thing so! :D

This is tongue in cheek, not a shot at ya Duff!!! ;)

This is incorrect. When Mr. Davis was here and I was in grad school, I went to an MBA event where he spoke. Among the items he mentioned was that Iowa basketball -- at that time -- was the #1 syndicated TV broadcast in the US. He even stated "more viewers than 'Wheel of Fortune'."

the entire industry is slowly moving toward on-line content. the BTN is offering the lower-tier games online as a way to develop demand for the online product. we are not the only school that is experiencing this. OSU and MSU have had on-line only games this year as well.

i have no problem with streaming the online feed to my HDTV or watching ESPN3 via xbox. dont hate on the industry simply because you are too cheap to adapt. you might miss a couple games, but millions of other fans around the country get to see many, many more games because of the BTN. plus, we get a fat check from the network every year, so i am willing to sacrifice $16 to watch 4 basketball games and wrestling meets.

yes, i wish they would utilize the overflow channels for basketball, but it is not the end of the world if they dont.

Latest posts