Future HAWK needs your prayers!

Just wanted to give all of you that prayed and sent kind words for my son, alittle update. Luke is now 2 months old. he started at 1 lb and 5 oz. Luke is now up to 3lbs 2 oz and is doing well. He is having his PDA closed on friday which is going to be a big surgery for him. But he will be fine. It is because of prayer that he is alive and my hawkeye friends on here played a big role in that. I am forever greatfull. Looking out the NICU window, and seeing Kinnick I realize that there is larger things than football. (maybe not many larger things though ha ha) Anyway my son is still on a vent(breathing machine) and will be for about another month. But all is looking well. I met Coach Ferentz in passing a few weeks ago and he was very nice. I spoke with Coach Brands for quite some time last weekend and he was a class act. After speaking with the staff around here about how our coaches and players come and visit I think its important to realize that although they may not always win, they themselves are class acts and are for the most part, turning these young men and women who represent the U of I, into outstanding young men and women. That is much more important that national titles. Thanks again for all your kind words and prayers!

Heck yeah! Great news! Keep fighting little buddy!!!! Add my wife, my 1 year old son, and me to the list of those praying for your son!!

God, take care of Luke and his family! I can see it now the first time you take him to Kinnick! Keep fighting!

Just sent up a prayer.

And as I saw earlier that you're not "religious". God has a tendency of using times like this to draw you close to Him and your family. I hope this experience does that for you.

God bless.

Thanks for the update and we are all very happy to hear of Luke's progress. Just think, on September 4th, you can think that you have 70,000+ outside of your window cheering Luke on. Please give your little guy a hug for all of us. Yes, we will continue to keep Luke and your family in our prayers.

I think that it is tremendous that the coaching staffs and players take their time to visit patient at the UofI hospital. The few minutes that they take to stop by and say "hi" and offer encouragement can really lighten up someone's day. When my wife was with the Iowa Softball team, when they went on the Spring Break trips, they would visit Children's Hospitals where they were playing. It is a tremendous tradition and service to the patients!

Please keep those good updates coming to the board as we are all pulling for Luke!

I wanted to update you all and thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for all your prayers this past year for my son. Luke enjoyed his first time in Kinnick this summer on Kids day! He is doing well, and may even be trying to say HAWKEYES! My wife refuses to admit it, and it MAY be a pipe dream, but he says Hawk-ah...thats close enough in MY book! Thanks again everyone!

I know this isnt really the place for this but I am doing anything I can. My son was born at 23 weeks and 1 day on thursday and needs your prayers. As of right now he is doing well for where he is. We are at the U of I and I get to look out and see Kinnick each and every day. What these doctors and nurses, heck the whole place does each and every day is nothing short of the most wonderfull job and they are the best. I hope Im not being selfish by asking for more prayers on here but Im sure you all understand. We are holding on to hope with prayers because thats all we have. Thank you in advance.

The power of prayer is the single most misunderstood and powerfull entity in the world and it is my opinion it is never out of line to ask for it.....

You are at a great hospital and I will certainly be praying for you and your little one....God bless you friend.

Chad

I wanted to update you all and thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for all your prayers this past year for my son. Luke enjoyed his first time in Kinnick this summer on Kids day! He is doing well, and may even be trying to say HAWKEYES! My wife refuses to admit it, and it MAY be a pipe dream, but he says Hawk-ah...thats close enough in MY book! Thanks again everyone!

That is outstanding news. Outstanding. As a NICU vet myself, I know that it was certainly the most stressful period in my life. I've been trapped on the side of mountains and I'd trade that fear any day for what I felt in the NICU watching my child and wife go through that experience.

Outstanding news. This made my day.

BTW...I have a brother named Luke...well done. Great name. And my sister-in-law was one of your nurses at the UIHC NICU.

Just prayed for your son, you, the family, and the Dr.'s and staff. I will continue to do so also. God Bless

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
This update on your (healthy!) little guy made my day, rj! Continued best wishes to all of you.

Never feel bad about asking for something like this. All of my kids were born there too. You have a great, dedicated, state of the art staff looking after your little one. Prayers that you and your wife have support, strength, courage and peace in the weeks and months ahead. Prayers that your little guy is a figher. May he one day be telling of his early struggles while suited up on a sideline somewhere (preferrably Iowa). Prayers to his caregivers, that they make the best possible decisions, have the surest hands and the kindest hearts.

Posted without reading all the way (will I ever learn). Great update. Bless all of you! What a great thing.

My little brother was born at 28 weeks. It isn't easy, but he got through it, and after being a bit behind physically and mentally for the first couple years, is now a musical genius and graduating at Texas this spring.

They do incredible things with preemies these days. Good luck to you!

Latest posts