Frustrating...

Honestly what adjustments did Izzo make? Seems to me that they just stopped turning over the ball and Winston took over. It ain’t like Izzo told Winston to NOT take over in the first half and then told him to dominate the 2nd half.

It is BB, we got beat by a better team who played a more solid game than us. If we were going to beat MSU we needed to play much cleaner, shoot better, while they struggled some.

Exactly, Why is it so hard to believe that a better team played a much better half.

And Fran made adjustments with clearly an emphasis to get Cook going early on in the 2nd half and it worked until Cook took it on his own to be too aggressive.

Honestly what adjustments did Izzo make? Seems to me that they just stopped turning over the ball and Winston took over. It ain’t like Izzo told Winston to NOT take over in the first half and then told him to dominate the 2nd half.

It is BB, we got beat by a better team who played a more solid game than us. If we were going to beat MSU we needed to play much cleaner, shoot better, while they struggled some.
I think he said they readjusted their post defense in the second half, when the wave overtook Iowa.

Fran's got to shoulder some blame here for that 24-2 run. My god, when they go on the first run...to go up 53-50, Fran gets his timeout, he's got to tell his team...we have to get the ball on the block and work through Garza and Cook on EVERY possession. What got us in trouble at MSU was settling for long range shots and missing them for a long stretch...and the game was over. Fran's philosophy of giving everyone the green light is wrong when a team is on a run like that. You have to score and slow down their transition. Cook or Garza needed to go strong to the basket and get a bucket or get fouled...if the refs will hopefully call it.

I said before this game that Connor, Moss, and Dailey needed to play if Bohannon wasn't burying threes. I think that is the recipe if he's struggling.
Fran waited too long to take a timeout. You have to take it while you still have a lead. Maybe even again if they tie it up if Iowa has another bad possession. You have to do anything you can to put speed bumps to MSU because you know they are capable of a 24-2 run.

I don't think Connor, Moss, and Dailey are answers but they are better options if JBo isn't hitting 3s. JBo played good defense the first half. Not many guards in the B10 could have stopped Winston in the second.

Connor and Dailey are not outside threats and MD is a very soft defender.

Exactly, Why is it so hard to believe that a better team played a much better half.

And Fran made adjustments with clearly an emphasis to get Cook going early on in the 2nd half and it worked until Cook took it on his own to be too aggressive.
I certainly believe MSU is a better team, played a better half, has better players, has better coaching.

Iowa would have to play a perfect game to beat them. One half is not a game.

You live and die by 3 pointers. Against superior athletes the only shots JB can get off with regularity are of the 25 foot variety, which are low percentage shots for even the best of shooters, which he is.

That said, so many in the first half, shot from deep and close up just didn't go in for Iowa. Iowa could have a had a huge lead at the half, on most days.

Beating Minnesota is a big game, don't string the losses. MSU loss is not that big of a deal, they are better.

I certainly believe MSU is a better team, played a better half, has better players, has better coaching.

Iowa would have to play a perfect game to beat them. One half is not a game.

You live and die by 3 pointers. Against superior athletes the only shots JB can get off with regularity are of the 25 foot variety, which are low percentage shots for even the best of shooters, which he is.

That said, so many in the first half, shot from deep and close up just didn't go in for Iowa. Iowa could have a had a huge lead at the half, on most days.

Beating Minnesota is a big game, don't string the losses. MSU loss is not that big of a deal, they are better.

I agree with basically all of this but I’ll stand behind JBos shot selection. They were deep but in his defense they were uncontested and I think he’s earned the right to take those based on past performance.

His worst shot of the night was a 3 from the corner and that wasn’t deep.

My question for you in regards to going your previous post, what specific adjustments did Izzo make?

I agree with basically all of this but I’ll stand behind JBos shot selection. They were deep but in his defense they were uncontested and I think he’s earned the right to take those based on past performance.

His worst shot of the night was a 3 from the corner and that wasn’t deep.

My question for you in regards to going your previous post, what specific adjustments did Izzo make?
I made comments about Izzo's adjustments a few posts prior.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, I have no problem with JB shooting from anywhere if he has a clean look. My point is, it is a low percentage shot, throughout the course of a game, even for the best of shooters. He is among the best.

Iowa seemed to decide to take the long 3 pointers, rather than go inside and get to the free throw line, which they normally do. MSU, just better athletes, better team, better coaching. No shame in the loss.

It's amazing how the refs swallow their whistles when Izzo is coaching. I saw C Mac try a shot under the basket and the spartan player grabbed his arm. He missed and no foul. He got the rebound and the same player fouled him again harder this time and was called. That was one example of the discrepancy in calls. Just frustrating to watch.

Look at the box score. We can go on and on about Winston shooting, but Michigan State had 31 defensive rebounds to our 14.

20 FTs to our 8.

Turn half of the defensive rebounds we should have had into baskets, and penetrate the ball to get 10 more free throws (still WAY under our average), and Iowa wins the game. Winston or no Winston.
Watching Garza trying to leap for offensive rebounds against superior athletes was pitiful.

I made comments about Izzo's adjustments a few posts prior.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, I have no problem with JB shooting from anywhere if he has a clean look. My point is, it is a low percentage shot, throughout the course of a game, even for the best of shooters. He is among the best.

Iowa seemed to decide to take the long 3 pointers, rather than go inside and get to the free throw line, which they normally do. MSU, just better athletes, better team, better coaching. No shame in the loss.

In fairness the refs probably wouldn't have called any fouls on MSU if Iowa had kept going inside. They certainly weren't calling any fouls when we were.

From a ref standpoint if you don’t see anything there isn’t anything to call . Garza isn’t athletic enough to help a ref visualize a call. When you can’t go around people or jump higher than people the ref can’t see a foul

Fran's got to shoulder some blame here for that 24-2 run. My god, when they go on the first run...to go up 53-50, Fran gets his timeout, he's got to tell his team...we have to get the ball on the block and work through Garza and Cook on EVERY possession. What got us in trouble at MSU was settling for long range shots and missing them for a long stretch...and the game was over. Fran's philosophy of giving everyone the green light is wrong when a team is on a run like that. You have to score and slow down their transition. Cook or Garza needed to go strong to the basket and get a bucket or get fouled...if the refs will hopefully call it.

Think about it...Cook took his first jump shot during that stretch? Why? Jobo is launching...Weiskamp launching...Baer launching. It's awful coaching...we should have been using the entire shot clock to get something down low on EVERY POSSESSION...Fran didn't do it and frankly never has.

I've said this on her before...if Bohannon is making his threes, play him. If he's struggling, sit him. He's a defensive liability against that type of guard...a big one who can penetrate. Winston also gets a foul when anyone is in the zip code defending him which is crazy. Jobo is not just costing you on one end...it's both. I was really disappointed in the way he played during that stretch and I would have benched him. He loafed for a loose ball, their guy didn't, and they score...he then goes down on the offensive end and immediately makes a horrible cross court pass and they go down and hit a three. He then hung his head. If he's going good offensively...he plays with more energy on defense. That was disappointing.

I said before this game that Connor, Moss, and Dailey needed to play if Bohannon wasn't burying threes. I think that is the recipe if he's struggling.
When things start rolling down hill quickly, Fran's head is spinning, and he becomes frantic, instead of calming and logically adjusting as needed.

My constant bitch about him LMAO! You must have me confused with someone buddy ol pal.

If I was in error about your previous posts on JBO, I sincerely apologize. I was actually in agreement with him being outplayed in the MSU game, though I would repeat that he played good D in the first half, especially. I was more disappointed in his offensive struggles than in his defense, in this game.

If I was in error about your previous posts on JBO, I sincerely apologize. I was actually in agreement with him being outplayed in the MSU game, though I would repeat that he played good D in the first half, especially. I was more disappointed in his offensive struggles than in his defense, in this game.

It’s fine just don’t recall me even talking about JBO much this year is all. I’m more of a Fran brasher Huck, I just think he isn’t that great of a coach. Just My personal view.

If JBO can’t hit his shots he usually struggles defensively as well. Atleast from what I’ve seen. He did play a decent 1st defensively but it all unraveled for him in the 2nd.

I was wondering as I watched all those 3's rain in through the nets in the previous game if we would want just 5 of them for the MSU game. Five made threes would have had the hawks close in the last 4 minutes to make a game of it.

As it was they got down by 15 then nearly 20 and the hawks were hanging their heads because they just knew they couldnt make any shots. You get down that much and you have to shoot quick in the shot clock and there isnt great rebounding position. Miss the shot and then MSU off to the races. A circular problem

As I've said in other threads, the problem started in the second half when after a media timeout Winston came out and made a couple of threes and a floater. For those three possessions, we got the ball to Cook on the block. He got point-blank uncontested shots, not layups but not more than about 3 feet, and missed all three. When you get the shot you want from the player you want and he doesn't deliver, it affects you as a team. I think that's when our problems began and we couldn't shake that; we shot worse from then on.

I agree, but what adjustments did he make? Izzo made adjustments to win.

You will lose a lot of games trying to rely upon 25 foot three pointers.

It did seem like so many of Iowa's shots "should have" gone down but didn't. Sigh. Iowa seemed nervous, MSU, seemed to "know" they would win, and it was just a matter of time. Talent/experience/depth/coaching.

MSU had the big shots taken and made by the big time players. Over.

Not blaming Fran, MSU is a much better team. Tweaking during the game isn't a strength of his, it seems.

We didn't rely on 25 foot three pointers. We shot a few of them but we hardly relied on them. We only took 10 three pointers in the second half. We were 8-15 in the first half in the paint. Second half we were 10-17. We were getting the ball inside better but for shots in the paint we simply didn't shoot a good enough percent.

That loss wasn’t on Fran, and I’m not one who likes Fran much. We didn’t hit shots, not only that but we were missing very makable shots. Some of those 3’s were wide open, and Cook and Garza went on. Stretch of missing about 5 easy inside of 10’ shots in a row it seemed.

Exactly. The coach can draw up the play to get the open shot but it's up to the player to make the shot.

From a ref standpoint if you don’t see anything there isn’t anything to call . Garza isn’t athletic enough to help a ref visualize a call. When you can’t go around people or jump higher than people the ref can’t see a foul

Yeah, tell it to good rebounders. Each one would tell you that position and desire are the two most important parts of getting a rebound. Jumping has less to do with it. If you block your man out properly, it doesn't matter if he can jump out of the gym - you've negated his rebounding ability. And if you watch, Garza's footwork is excellent. He works hard and gets good position. We even saw a couple of "team rebounds" where the ball hit the floor because we boxed out so well.

Latest posts