From the other board (Minny season is over).

If true, NW wins the West.

"A team must play at least six games to be considered for participation in the championship game.
However, if the average number of conference games played by all teams falls below six, with the average
rounded up/down at .50 (i.e. 6.50 or greater would round up to 7, 6.49 or less would round down to 6),
then teams must play no less than two fewer conference games than the average number of conference
games played by all teams (i.e. four games played if the conference average is six) to be considered.
The championship game participant and division champion from each division will be determined by the
following:
• With all conference games completed, the best winning percentage in all conference games.
• In the event of an unbalanced schedule due to cancellation of games:
o If two (or more) teams have the same number of conference losses but a different
number of conference wins, head-to-head results will take precedence over winning
percentage, as long as the two (or more) teams meet minimum number of games
language noted above"

If true, NW wins the West.

"A team must play at least six games to be considered for participation in the championship game.
However, if the average number of conference games played by all teams falls below six, with the average
rounded up/down at .50 (i.e. 6.50 or greater would round up to 7, 6.49 or less would round down to 6),
then teams must play no less than two fewer conference games than the average number of conference
games played by all teams (i.e. four games played if the conference average is six) to be considered.
The championship game participant and division champion from each division will be determined by the
following:
• With all conference games completed, the best winning percentage in all conference games.
• In the event of an unbalanced schedule due to cancellation of games:
o If two (or more) teams have the same number of conference losses but a different
number of conference wins, head-to-head results will take precedence over winning
percentage, as long as the two (or more) teams meet minimum number of games
language noted above"
That sucks.

That sucks.
I agree, but it makes sense the rules were written this way as it isn't Northwestern's fault if next weekend's game is cancelled. They won the two games they needed to in order to secure the division.

If only the Big Ten had stuck to its original plan, which made far more sense as it included bye weeks. Also would have meant Iowa opened vs Maryland instead of Purdue.

If Iowa wins out at ends 6-2 or .75

if Jnw loses to ILL end 5-2 or .71

Iowa could win the West..... no because head to head Iowa lost to jNW

If Iowa wins out at ends 6-2 or .75

if Jnw loses to ILL end 5-2 or .71

Iowa could win the West..... no because head to head Iowa lost to jNW
I could be wrong, but it seems like I remember hearing that, for teams that played at least 6 games, it comes down to losses. Not sure, but I think I remember hearing that.

Ohio State is in danger of not reaching the 6 games. Which means Indiana represents the East.
Does that mean OSU could be our East matchup?

Also, if Minny is cancelling their season, does an East team just get shut out of playing a game, or do they play a team like SW Delaware Tech?

choose up an all star team to play OSU
A West all star team would destroy OSU.

Best WR in the B1G-David Bell
Best DL-Daivyon Nixon
Best LB-Paddy Fisher
Best TE-Jake Ferguson
Best kicking game-Iowa
Best OL-Wisconsin

That freshman from jNW may also be developing into the Best cover corner in the B1G.

Last edited:
Does that mean OSU could be our East matchup?

Also, if Minny is cancelling their season, does an East team just get shut out of playing a game, or do they play a team like SW Delaware Tech?
Possibly but I can see the Big Ten pairing Wisconsin against them. Which would be weird because they might wind up being the 2 top ranked teams in the Big Ten and boast Ohio States chances at the playoffs.

There are substantial economic motivations for OSU to make the playoffs ... B1G gets some TV money. And OSU brings in viewership like nobody else in college football except maybe ND. Face it CFB needs cash this year and having ND and OSU would help a lot. They don't want a Cincinatti in there siphoning off $$$

Possibly but I can see the Big Ten pairing Wisconsin against them. Which would be weird because they might wind up being the 2 top ranked teams in the Big Ten and boast Ohio States chances at the playoffs.
I think it highly unlikely that a 6-0 Ohio State would make the playoffs. They haven't looked all that dominant this season, especially on the line of scrimmage.

If Iowa defeats Illinois and Wisconsin, they will play the East #2 anyway (either Indiana or OSU, of the latter gets the chance to play six games before B1G championship weekend).

I think it highly unlikely that a 6-0 Ohio State would make the playoffs. They haven't looked all that dominant this season, especially on the line of scrimmage.

If Iowa defeats Illinois and Wisconsin, they will play the East #2 anyway (either Indiana or OSU, of the latter gets the chance to play six games before B1G championship weekend).
I disagree, I think a 6-0 Ohio State team can make it into the playoffs. Even if they wind up playing Iowa that means Iowa is ranked fairly high, which gives them another win over a ranked opponent (assuming they beat Iowa).

A lot of money at stake for the Big Ten and College football having Ohio State reach the playoff.

I disagree, I think a 6-0 Ohio State team can make it into the playoffs. Even if they wind up playing Iowa that means Iowa is ranked fairly high, which gives them another win over a ranked opponent (assuming they beat Iowa).

A lot of money at stake for the Big Ten and College football having Ohio State reach the playoff.
We can do this analysis somewhat systematically:

SEC winner is in (Bama/Florida)
ACC winner is in (Notre Dame/Clemson)

I think 6-0 OSU with wins over Indiana (maybe the Big Ten champ) and Iowa would make it over the Big 12 and Pac-12 winner. But if Alabama and Clemson won their respective conference championship games: Would OSU jump one-loss Notre Dame and Texas A&M squads, when both played tougher schedules, way more games, and only lost to other playoff teams? No way l.

If you are an OSU fan, besides the obvious (hoping to play next weekend and then win out), you need Notre Dame to defeat Clemson again and A&M to drop one game.

An undefeated Cincinnati would make things interesting too.

Latest posts