From the other board (Minny season is over).

Ok, so hypothetically would Northwestern still get the nod if Illinois had to pull out because of covid? Or if Northwestern could not compete in the last game because of covid?

Say the standings at the finish were

Iowa 6-2
Northwestern 5-1

Ok, so hypothetically would Northwestern still get the nod if Illinois had to pull out because of covid? Or if Northwestern could not compete in the last game because of covid?

Say the standings at the finish were

Iowa 6-2
Northwestern 5-1
No question here - Northwestern has the higher win percentage and less losses than Iowa, and they have already reached the 6-game minimum.

Again, if they only finish with two losses they are in as well. Hawks only chances are for NW to lose to both Minnesota and Illinois.

That loss to a bad Purdue team hurts so much because this Iowa team hasn't made those same mistakes (penalties, turnovers, blown assignments) since. At least NW earned the win.

A West all star team would destroy OSU.

Best WR in the B1G-David Bell
Best DL-Daivyon Nixon
Best LB-Paddy Fisher
Best TE-Jake Ferguson
Best kicking game-Iowa
Best OL-Wisconsin

That freshman from jNW may also be developing into the Best cover corner in the B1G.
Hello, my name is Coach Scott Frost and if it wasn't for people clapping, I swear you said someone from my team was on your West All Star team but, like I said, I couldn't hear through the clapping.

No question here - Northwestern has the higher win percentage and less losses than Iowa, and they have already reached the 6-game minimum.

Again, if they only finish with two losses they are in as well. Hawks only chances are for NW to lose to both Minnesota and Illinois.

That loss to a bad Purdue team hurts so much because this Iowa team hasn't made those same mistakes (penalties, turnovers, blown assignments) since. At least NW earned the win.
Yeah, that Purdue game still grinds my ass. Bad loss all the way around.

Iowa deserved to lose that NW game, they outplayed Iowa. The game was lost when they had to settle for a field goal when it was first and goal inside the 5.

My first thought when I heard Minnesota had a major outbreak was that Fleck didn't like the way this was going to go for him and brought in a bunch of people from the Trump White House to talk to the team. They brought their favorite special guest with them...Covid.

Wisconsin was going to run all over them.
NW would shut them down and run all over them.
Nebraska would have also beaten the crap out of them.

PT Barnum was looking at 2-6 and sabotaged the season to save his reputation as the leading snake oil salesman in America. He knew they were rowing in circles at this point. At least we got to hang #6 in a row on Minny before Fleck shut it down.

bummer.

The championship game will have a huge asterisk next to it if OSU can't participate.

Much to be seen ...
If we can get OSU somehow in the 2nd place game.....that would be the real championship. Maybe Minny can still participate and win that and with some help from Illini...and we win out out....lots of ifs there.

My first thought when I heard Minnesota had a major outbreak was that Fleck didn't like the way this was going to go for him and brought in a bunch of people from the Trump White House to talk to the team. They brought their favorite special guest with them...Covid.

Wisconsin was going to run all over them.
NW would shut them down and run all over them.
Nebraska would have also beaten the crap out of them.

PT Barnum was looking at 2-6 and sabotaged the season to save his reputation as the leading snake oil salesman in America. He knew they were rowing in circles at this point. At least we got to hang #6 in a row on Minny before Fleck shut it down.
Bateman, his best offensive player, helped do Fleck's dirty work by opting out prior to the Wisconsin game getting cancelled.

When it came to 2020 Fleck didn't have much reputation left to salvage. Their effort against Iowa was uninspiring. Purdue bailed them out by repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot. And their season opening loss to Michigan is looking worse all the time. He will have plenty to answer for in 2021. His Outback Bowl thrashing of Auburn seems like a lifetime ago.

Let's play What If.. I've not seen it discussed but what happens if NW seals down the B1G West and OSU doesn't have the requisite number of games. Here is the kicker NW can't play because they have a Covid Outbreak. Indiana ends up winning the East. Wisconsin is eliminated because they can't play 6 games. Iowa has 6 in already and wins 1 more to seal 2nd place. You could have an Iowa vs Indiana in the Championship game.

I don't believe people have thought about a possible covid outbreak on teams that qualify for the championship.

...and OSU doesn't have the requisite number of games..
There is no way in this universe if OSU doesn't have the requisite number of games that the B1G doesn't reneg and change that rule to allow them to play in it.

OSU is the one and only golden child of the conference and they are to the B1G what Texas used to be to the Big 8/12. I said when they came out with a minimum game requirement that it was dumb because if OSU doesn't meet the minimum they'd change the rule and have egg on their face. It's the only team in the conference that even has a remote chance of making the playoff, you think the B1G is going to commit total suicide by voluntarily keeping them out of it? No way.

There is no way in this universe if OSU doesn't have the requisite number of games that the B1G doesn't reneg and change that rule to allow them to play in it.

OSU is the one and only golden child of the conference and they are to the B1G what Texas used to be to the Big 8/12. I said when they came out with a minimum game requirement that it was dumb because if OSU doesn't meet the minimum they'd change the rule and have egg on their face. It's the only team in the conference that even has a remote chance of making the playoff, you think the B1G is going to commit total suicide by voluntarily keeping them out of it? No way.
Oh come on Fry. I was having fun with the idea of playing for a BT Championship. Spoil sport.

Oh come on Fry. I was having fun with the idea of playing for a BT Championship. Spoil sport.
One part of me would love nothing more than OSU to be put in its place and be treated like every other Big Ten team, but the more rational part of me knows that it's crucial to the conference to have a playoff team every year.

Which is why it was completely stupid for the Big Ten to issue the minimum games rule in the first place. That would've better been a "cross that bridge when we come to it" situation.

We already look like total idiots by not having any covid make up dates available and this only adds to it.

Just wondering when the Big Ten has been known to break their own rules and play favoritism? I don't see them giving Ohio State a break and, besides, just because they don't reach the championship game doesn't mean they won't get a nice matchup. A game against 2nd place Iowa or Wisconsin might be a better games for them anyway than against the Cats.

For sure, also sucks knowing we are the best team in the West (at least the way it looks now) and we can't do a damn thing about it because we tripped on our own dicks out of the gate.
We are not the best team in the west. Wisconsin and NW are both better.

Possibly but I can see the Big Ten pairing Wisconsin against them. Which would be weird because they might wind up being the 2 top ranked teams in the Big Ten and boast Ohio States chances at the playoffs.
That would make the most sense. I think that Nebraska should get a rematch with OSU since the refs screwed them so bad (I assume that was their excuse)

We are not the best team in the west. Wisconsin and NW are both better.
Iowa by 2 scores on Northwestern now. Wisconsin, remains to be seen, but at the very least a toss up at this point. And, yes, Iowa is the best team in the West at this juncture.

Latest posts