Fran's kiddos are so replaceable, yikes this is one baaaad basketball team

2 years ago I was like "it's one game, every one settle down, things could still be ok, it's not that bad" right at first. Hell, I was like that LAST NIGHT. I thought to myself "in the 2nd half, it's gonna get close, there's no way we can play that bad and Depaul can shoot that well". At the 10 minute mark, Pat Harty tweeted "Hawks trying to hang around to make a 2nd half push" ....and I was like .... "no, they haven't even cut into the lead, they are actually playing worse"

I just aint gonna do it this season. I am not. I will watch a few more games and I hope they turn it around, I am just not in the belief that they can or will.

DePaul actually looks like a good team. If they are, we might be ok. If they just looked like a good team because they were playing us, we're in big trouble.

Assuming they're good, we played them pretty much even after the first TV timeout and it's not like they coasted. They continued to play hard and shoot a high percentage. So IF they're a good team, it likely means we can hang around at home against the good teams as long as we shoot decent. If you can only "hang around at home" against good teams, you're likely just a fringe NIT team.

A few years ago we started the year with our 2 worst players as starters (Williams and Uhl) and ended up a decent team. We will need that to happen again this year. A player or two (likely Joe T) to prove as the year goes on that he's a top 5 player.

DePaul actually looks like a good team. If they are, we might be ok. If they just looked like a good team because they were playing us, we're in big trouble.

Assuming they're good, we played them pretty much even after the first TV timeout and it's not like they coasted. They continued to play hard and shoot a high percentage. So IF they're a good team, it likely means we can hang around at home against the good teams as long as we shoot decent. If you can only "hang around at home" against good teams, you're likely just a fringe NIT team.

A few years ago we started the year with our 2 worst players as starters (Williams and Uhl) and ended up a decent team. We will need that to happen again this year. A player or two (likely Joe T) to prove as the year goes on that he's a top 5 player.

PC, I wish I felt that way. I really do. I would actually be elated to watch a fringe NIT team. I mean, I would still want Fran out, but I can at least stomach it if we are competitive. I can wait that out. I can't wait last night out. I can't. I'll just disengage this season. It sucks, but it's where i am ....last night hit me hard. I am full out melt down mode today.

I think Joe T should be playing and should be starting. I think Fran saw that last night as well. He unfortunately doesn't play with a lot of control and that can be maddening. He is a live turnover waiting to happen cause he's just not adjusted to the game yet. That will come IMO. Unfortunately for Iowa, Connor's probably the 2nd or 3rd best guard on the team with Jordan a shell of himself. He's going to have to play if anything out of necessity. He plays tough and is strong with the ball, but it's not good enough. Period.

If this continues to go south.... a 9 million dollar buy out and 4 years remaining on a contract is pretty standard and absorbable by any university. I think it's more of a "look" thing at this point. How would it look for a school that went to 3 NCAA's in 14 years to fire a coach that just went to 4 in 6? Probably not great. How desirable is a job that fires their coach after that? Probably not. That's the real predicament....not the 9 mil buyout IMO.

Maybe it indicates how easy it is to get to the NCAA tournament and just how bad a basketball program is not to make it on a regular basis. :p

It's the low-hanging fruit.
I agree it’s low hanging fruit and I don’t really want to go there yet.

But Rob do you ever have days where you think this was all just a product of Fran’s plan? I had heard RUMORS that’s the key word but rumors nonetheless that claim to be in the know and they say that Fran’s ultimate goal was to coach his two sons at this level. I mean it sort of adds up. Negotiating the buyout to ensure job security. Building the roster we have in place today. Do you ever ask yourself is Connor a B1G level point guard? How many other teams at this level would he starting at PG on? Should Pat have redshirted?

Again I’m not really trying to go down that road or push that narrative but I’ve definitely had days where I think this was all part of Fran’s plan. I think to myself that’s why he was getting so flustered two years ago when we sucked and he was PR’ing the body of work comment. Last year was a saving grace and here we are. If this year goes down to the tubes and Barta has the stones to fire him (unlikely) he will get his monster buyout and ride off into his sunset. Connor will pursue his baseball and Pat can probably play at many schools or follow Fran if he wants to coach elsewhere.

Again I’m not saying that 100% what’s going on here but the thoughts have crossed my mind as I’m sure they have many other Iowa fans.

It's low hanging fruit but it's the bed our coach made for himself. I am not bashing any of the boys on our team and I personally was all in favor of bringing players their caliber to Iowa. But this is Fran's mess and he's hardly heard a peep from me criticizing how he's run his program. I feel like I have been patient and I feel like I have been a loyal follower and donor to the program for decades. I feel like I should be able to pick some of that fruit at this point.

That's news to me. It's weird that they have the same number of games as football when they play almost 3 times as many.

The 4 game limit is for football only. If a basketball player plays, they need a medical reason for a redshirt (like JBo will apply for if he decides to sit). Patrick would need an injury related concern to be able to redshirt now (and would need to apply).

On a related note ...

Iowa is not poor, it's one of the bigger revenue generating athletic programs in the country. It's going to be a lot cheaper to pay 9 million in the long run to get rid of 3 McCaffery's that have sank the program. Look at it as a 3 million buy out for each.
He could go 32-6 this year and as far as I'm concerned he's one suspension from the door regarding his embarrassing temper.

If we're a .500 team.....?

I agree it’s low hanging fruit and I don’t really want to go there yet.

But Rob do you ever have days where you think this was all just a product of Fran’s plan? I had heard RUMORS that’s the key word but rumors nonetheless that claim to be in the know and they say that Fran’s ultimate goal was to coach his two sons at this level. I mean it sort of adds up. Negotiating the buyout to ensure job security. Building the roster we have in place today. Do you ever ask yourself is Connor a B1G level point guard? How many other teams at this level would he starting at PG on? Should Pat have redshirted?

Again I’m not really trying to go down that road or push that narrative but I’ve definitely had days where I think this was all part of Fran’s plan. I think to myself that’s why he was getting so flustered two years ago when we sucked and he was PR’ing the body of work comment. Last year was a saving grace and here we are. If this year goes down to the tubes and Barta has the stones to fire him (unlikely) he will get his monster buyout and ride off into his sunset. Connor will pursue his baseball and Pat can probably play at many schools or follow Fran if he wants to coach elsewhere.

Again I’m not saying that 100% what’s going on here but the thoughts have crossed my mind as I’m sure they have many other Iowa fans.
With our luck youngest son Jack, now in seventh grade, will be the real legit player of the bunch and Fran will be long gone by the time he enrolls in college.

He could go 32-6 this year and as far as I'm concerned he's one suspension from the door regarding his embarrassing temper.

If we're a .500 team.....?

yeah, he's only got so many more of those little blow ups left period, but him sucking to go along with those will make it fairly easily.

I thought a little more about Connor and Pat being "low hanging fruit" and I actually think they kind of are. I am less upset and concerned about them being on the team then anything. It's everything else that's a mess. They only take up 2 ships and to be honest, Fran would have them walking on if he had other players worthy of a ship. They are low hanging fruit and fruit I am not nearly as concerned with if we have better players in the other 11 spots. Since we don't - that's the first place people start.

PC, I wish I felt that way. I really do. I would actually be elated to watch a fringe NIT team. I mean, I would still want Fran out, but I can at least stomach it if we are competitive. I can wait that out. I can't wait last night out. I can't. I'll just disengage this season. It sucks, but it's where i am ....last night hit me hard. I am full out melt down mode today.

Last night was a classic Fran game. When a team goes on a run, they don't go on a 10-2 run, they go on a 20-2 run. We've seen a lot of games like last night under Fran and some of them have come during some good years. If I had to put a percentage on it right now, I'd say its 65% we suck and 35% we just had a bad night and ran into a buzz saw. One thing we know for sure is Garza and Wieskamp are a lot better than they played last night. The rest is unknown.

Last night was a classic Fran game. When a team goes on a run, they don't go on a 10-2 run, they go on a 20-2 run. We've seen a lot of games like last night under Fran and some of them have come during some good years. If I had to put a percentage on it right now, I'd say its 65% we suck and 35% we just had a bad night and ran into a buzz saw. One thing we know for sure is Garza and Wieskamp are a lot better than they played last night. The rest is unknown.

Garza needs to learn he can't do more than one post move and still have space to score. He need to get the ball, make his move and if the shot isn't there pass it out. Instead he makes a move, see it isn' there, tried to make another move and then he has 3 guys on him and he turns it over or forces a horrible shot.

I thought a little more about Connor and Pat being "low hanging fruit" and I actually think they kind of are. I am less upset and concerned about them being on the team then anything. It's everything else that's a mess. They only take up 2 ships and to be honest, Fran would have them walking on if he had other players worthy of a ship. They are low hanging fruit and fruit I am not nearly as concerned with if we have better players in the other 11 spots. Since we don't - that's the first place people start.
DePaul took away LG and JW early as scoring options.
They also took secondary clock O options away, as we can’t create a shot in space.

At the other end, we can’t stop dribble penetration. AGAIN.

Connor and Pat are secondary options that mostly can’t create.
I said it last year, as I fear this is going to end poorly for everyone concerned.

After seeing that flaming pile display in person last night, My hunch is that last night will not be an aberration in 2020. Hope I’m proved wrong.

then a 9 million dollar buy out aint shit. That's probably on the low end of most coaches buy outs in contracts. Fran is not a highly paid coach. Iowa can get rid of him at any time.

That is an absolutely massive buyout for a basketball coach. Matt Campbell's buyout is 9 million and that caused Tennessee to balk at hiring him. Steve Prohm's buyout is 3.4 million. Fran's buyout is higher than Roy Williams, Bob Huggins, Tom Izzo, Lon Krueger, etc. There is a reason why Barta tried to keep the contract extension behind closed doors: It contained information that was insane.

He has but Jordan hasn't?

JBo would get a medical redshirt. Can play in 30% of a team's games and still get one of those.

Football rules changed to allow a kid to play 4 games. Didn't change for basketball so as soon as he's checked in once the redshirt is burned.

That is an absolutely massive buyout for a basketball coach. Matt Campbell's buyout is 9 million and that caused Tennessee to balk at hiring him. Steve Prohm's buyout is 3.4 million. Fran's buyout is higher than Roy Williams, Bob Huggins, Tom Izzo, Lon Krueger, etc. There is a reason why Barta tried to keep the contract extension behind closed doors: It contained information that was insane.

JBo would get a medical redshirt. Can play in 30% of a team's games and still get one of those.

Football rules changed to allow a kid to play 4 games. Didn't change for basketball so as soon as he's checked in once the redshirt is burned.
Good insight here thanks. No way the athletic department would get behind doing this buyout. Gary Barta strikes again.

Garza needs to learn he can't do more than one post move and still have space to score. He need to get the ball, make his move and if the shot isn't there pass it out. Instead he makes a move, see it isn' there, tried to make another move and then he has 3 guys on him and he turns it over or forces a horrible shot.

I agree that it ends bad a lot and he probably shouldn't do it. But I'll also say that a decent amount of the time he ends up making it work and you just shake your head at the whiteness. Last night it didn't work once tho and killed us bad. Especially when good shooters are so wide open and he has no idea.

TBH, it's not even 9 million any more. That was if Iowa fired him before July 1st 2019. I'll find out what it is now, but quick glance - out of the top 50 or so paid coaches in college basketball - 30 of them have higher buyouts.

Honestly classic buzzsaw game. I doubt DePaul shoots that well again all season.

I like Toussaint a lot. A little out of control but somebody needs to be able to fly around on this team. I don’t care if Conner is a better passer, whatever that means, he had 3 ast 2 to’s, Toussaint has 2 and 1 so don’t tell it it’s some huge gap.

I hear this a lot from people for multiple games a year....Oh, they just caught a hot streak shooting. Maybe that's due to the defense?