Fran's kiddos are so replaceable, yikes this is one baaaad basketball team

I agree that it ends bad a lot and he probably shouldn't do it. But I'll also say that a decent amount of the time he ends up making it work and you just shake your head at the whiteness. Last night it didn't work once tho and killed us bad. Especially when good shooters are so wide open and he has no idea.

It only ends well against bad competition, and it really hurts us most of the time vs good competition. Garza is great, he just needs to pick his spots better, and hit his teammates when he is doubled. Same goes for Kriener, when he dribbles it, I am always screaming, WTF are you doing, as he is a TO machine when he dribbles.

I think Joe T should be playing and should be starting. I think Fran saw that last night as well. He unfortunately doesn't play with a lot of control and that can be maddening. He is a live turnover waiting to happen cause he's just not adjusted to the game yet. That will come IMO. Unfortunately for Iowa, Connor's probably the 2nd or 3rd best guard on the team with Jordan a shell of himself. He's going to have to play if anything out of necessity. He plays tough and is strong with the ball, but it's not good enough. Period.

If this continues to go south.... a 9 million dollar buy out and 4 years remaining on a contract is pretty standard and absorbable by any university. I think it's more of a "look" thing at this point. How would it look for a school that went to 3 NCAA's in 14 years to fire a coach that just went to 4 in 6? Probably not great. How desirable is a job that fires their coach after that? Probably not. That's the real predicament....not the 9 mil buyout IMO.
I agree. He does play out of control some. But that's alright. Too man possessions we had guys that couldn't hardly even pass the ball due to their on the ball pressure. He's the only one of our guys off the dribble who can do something on his own.

CJF will be good I do like how he uses fakes and power dribbles. He's young and rough around the edges too but I really do like him. He's not a Brady Ellingson he's got the ability to score in more ways.

I wonder if JBo is thinking harder about sitting out now... Like you said he's not even close to himself. He looks noticeably bigger too like borderline fat. I wonder what kind of shape he's in. But if you were to look at him play from last yr to now that isn't the same kid

That is an absolutely massive buyout for a basketball coach. Matt Campbell's buyout is 9 million and that caused Tennessee to balk at hiring him. Steve Prohm's buyout is 3.4 million. Fran's buyout is higher than Roy Williams, Bob Huggins, Tom Izzo, Lon Krueger, etc. There is a reason why Barta tried to keep the contract extension behind closed doors: It contained information that was insane.

JBo would get a medical redshirt. Can play in 30% of a team's games and still get one of those.

Football rules changed to allow a kid to play 4 games. Didn't change for basketball so as soon as he's checked in once the redshirt is burned.

It was 10.2m if before July 18 - 9m if before July of 19 - I am guessing probably close to 8m if before July 20, though I was unable to find a definitive #. I am sure someone can shed light. But, in 2019, with a stadium that was often times not full or even close to full w/ a top 25 team, Iowa hoops reported an income of 3.7 million. How much potential revenue are they already losing with a half empty stadium? They are already losing money and it's gonna get so so so so much worse if the team tanks again. It's better to eat the 8 million in the long run and at least attempt to improve the product on the floor sooner then later.

It only ends well against bad competition, and it really hurts us most of the time vs good competition. Garza is great, he just needs to pick his spots better, and hit his teammates when he is doubled. Same goes for Kriener, when he dribbles it, I am always screaming, WTF are you doing, as he is a TO machine when he dribbles.
I screamed that at Kriener like 6 times last night. He’s not strong with the ball and guards just smell blood in the water and come for the steal.

I disagree about the competition. Some of his bigger games have come against good competition. When he gets going, it's tough for anyone to stop him. Maybe he gets going more often against good competition. That's definitely possible. But he does get going against good teams sometimes and can be really good. I do agree with your overall premise tho. He needs to force it less.

I disagree about the competition. Some of his bigger games have come against good competition. When he gets going, it's tough for anyone to stop him. Maybe he gets going more often against good competition. That's definitely possible. But he does get going against good teams sometimes and can be really good. I do agree with your overall premise tho. He needs to force it less.

I said Garza is great, that doesn't mean he doesn't have to work on things. One of the things I see out of him that he needs to do better is pass out of the double team. That is basically what I am saying, instead of forcing up a shot vs the double team, hit a wide open teammate for a less contested shot.

TBH, it's not even 9 million any more. That was if Iowa fired him before July 1st 2019. I'll find out what it is now, but quick glance - out of the top 50 or so paid coaches in college basketball - 30 of them have higher buyouts.

I just looked at the USA today list and that's as of 4/1/19. He was #22. Only guys ahead of him are basically guys on brand new contracts at a school or some of the best in the game. No offense but bumping the buyout for a guy who is 60 years old is insane. There is absolutely no good reason you can give me for it.

I remember a game recently where we came out and dominated Michigan early. All of our shots were falling and they couldn't make anything. We got up 15 or so really early and won by about 15. I knew the whole time we weren't a way better team than them. We just clicked really well really and got up big. That's pretty much what happened here. The thing I hated the most was how many extremely lazy turnovers we had and how much Garza tried forcing things. And Nunge. I really hate that he looks so bad. I just don't think he's gunna be able to play with Garza and we don't have any other options.
Getting beat, sometimes soundly, happens, as you point out. But they looked bad in ways that weren't just shots not falling.

I just looked at the USA today list and that's as of 4/1/19. He was #22. Only guys ahead of him are basically guys on brand new contracts at a school or some of the best in the game. No offense but bumping the buyout for a guy who is 60 years old is insane. There is absolutely no good reason you can give me for it.

I am not defending it, so you're not offending me. I am saying Iowa will happily pay the buy out if things are bad and that it is no longer 9 million as of July 1st 2019, it's Nov 12th. Also, that if there are 21 buy outs higher then he, it's not that out of whack. Also, it's not 9 million anymore - even tho USA still lists that so chances are it's higher then 22nd most at this point.

Last edited:
Pat is a Lil Lick.

I don’t like to say that because I really think what took the wind out his sails was the cancer treatments, but it’s the plain truth.

He got fucked over by life.

However, his dad is a gazillionaire and he’ll never want for anything, so it’ll all work out if basketball goes south.

I don’t know the details of Patrick’s thyroid cancer or how it affected him physically. I can only say I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, had it removed and by and large was back at full strength in a couple days. I think I even returned to work the following week.

What I learned from my diagnosis and surgery is that if you’re going to get cancer (which none of us want, let’s be honest), thyroid cancer is the one you want. It’s easily treated and recovery is 99.9 percent. My surgeon said it really even shouldn’t be called the C-word as it’s more “some cells got messed up.” Friends diagnosed with TC have had a similar experience.

So I don’t know the validity of blaming cancer for P-Mac’s performance. But again, I don’t know how it affected him.

I do know cancer sucks.

I said Garza is great, that doesn't mean he doesn't have to work on things. One of the things I see out of him that he needs to do better is pass out of the double team. That is basically what I am saying, instead of forcing up a shot vs the double team, hit a wide open teammate for a less contested shot.

My post was in response to you saying he can't do it against good competition. Maybe you didn't say that and i misread something. Too lazy to go back and look. Again tho, i agree he needs to get a better feel for when to go and when to pass.

Getting beat, sometimes soundly, happens, as you point out. But they looked bad in ways that weren't just shots not falling.

No doubt about that. But that's not out of the norm for a fran coached team. Once things start going bad, they go really bad. We see it a lit with him and it really only meant something ine season. Two years ago.

We've also done it to teams too. Marble's senior year we ran a Michigan team that was probably better than us out of the gym. Blowouts happen a lot more in basketball, especially with a fast paced team. We were three made 3s and them missing two 3s away from an even game, in a game that was a blowout, both on paper and the eyeball test. Hopefully we wont always have to out shoot teams to get a win, but it sure looks that way right now.

I don’t know the details of Patrick’s thyroid cancer or how it affected him physically. I can only say I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, had it removed and by and large was back at full strength in a couple days. I think I even returned to work the following week.

What I learned from my diagnosis and surgery is that if you’re going to get cancer (which none of us want, let’s be honest), thyroid cancer is the one you want. It’s easily treated and recovery is 99.9 percent. My surgeon said it really even shouldn’t be called the C-word as it’s more “some cells got messed up.” Friends diagnosed with TC have had a similar experience.

So I don’t know the validity of blaming cancer for P-Mac’s performance. But again, I don’t know how it affected him.

I do know cancer sucks.

I've heard the thyroid helps regulate your weight. Is that not true?

I do know cancer sucks.
Cancer sucks for sure, I’m sorry you went through it.

Regarding PM, it’s been repeated quite a bit by Pat and family that he tries to gain weight but can’t after his chemo and the medications he has to take. Maybe his was a different form or one that was more likely to return/cause complications?

There was an article from last year where it mentioned that he was eating ridiculous amounts of calories to try and gain even a couple pounds but it just wasn’t working. I think he’s a good kid and definitely loyal to the Hawks, but I just don’t see him handling the physicality of the Big Ten. There are a lot of monster forwards in this league who’ll toss him around, and I don’t think he’s got the shot to wing it. Shawn Bradley had the same build, but he had the benefit of being another four inches taller in an era where huge, muscular behemoths weren’t the norm in college ball. A guy like Karl Malone was a physical freak in his day, but now that’s probably typical size.

Had the cancer thing not happened, who knows, maybe we’d be talking about another Uthoff...

I hear this a lot from people for multiple games a year....Oh, they just caught a hot streak shooting. Maybe that's due to the defense?
When you can't defend the other team's point and he delivers the ball where they like it, or can't close out on shots, or don't have the footspeed to play D it's bad D leading to hot shooting.

It's low hanging fruit but it's the bed our coach made for himself. I am not bashing any of the boys on our team and I personally was all in favor of bringing players their caliber to Iowa. But this is Fran's mess and he's hardly heard a peep from me criticizing how he's run his program. I feel like I have been patient and I feel like I have been a loyal follower and donor to the program for decades. I feel like I should be able to pick some of that fruit at this point.
I can’t find any high hanging fruit

Cancer sucks for sure, I’m sorry you went through it.

Regarding PM, it’s been repeated quite a bit by Pat and family that he tries to gain weight but can’t after his chemo and the medications he has to take. Maybe his was a different form or one that was more likely to return/cause complications?

There was an article from last year where it mentioned that he was eating ridiculous amounts of calories to try and gain even a couple pounds but it just wasn’t working. I think he’s a good kid and definitely loyal to the Hawks, but I just don’t see him handling the physicality of the Big Ten. There are a lot of monster forwards in this league who’ll toss him around, and I don’t think he’s got the shot to wing it. Shawn Bradley had the same build, but he had the benefit of being another four inches taller in an era where huge, muscular behemoths weren’t the norm in college ball. A guy like Karl Malone was a physical freak in his day, but now that’s probably typical size.

Had the cancer thing not happened, who knows, maybe we’d be talking about another Uthoff...
You're correct about Karl Malone. Karl and Tyler Cook are almost the exact same height, weight, and muscularity. Michael Cage also had those dimensions and body type. The difference is that it doesn't stand out nearly as much in Tyler's present era.