Fran's kiddos are so replaceable, yikes this is one baaaad basketball team

To address Patrick it's too early to tell. He probably should red shirt and work on putting on muscle.

Conner is what he is. A decent passer but limited everywhere else. He should be coming off the bech.

Toussaint needs to play as much as possible.

I'll also throw in Bohannon should just red-shirt. This season isn't going anywhere.

Patrick has already played in two too many games this year to redshirt.

I think Joe T should be playing and should be starting. I think Fran saw that last night as well. He unfortunately doesn't play with a lot of control and that can be maddening. He is a live turnover waiting to happen cause he's just not adjusted to the game yet. That will come IMO. Unfortunately for Iowa, Connor's probably the 2nd or 3rd best guard on the team with Jordan a shell of himself. He's going to have to play if anything out of necessity. He plays tough and is strong with the ball, but it's not good enough. Period.

If this continues to go south.... a 9 million dollar buy out and 4 years remaining on a contract is pretty standard and absorbable by any university. I think it's more of a "look" thing at this point. How would it look for a school that went to 3 NCAA's in 14 years to fire a coach that just went to 4 in 6? Probably not great. How desirable is a job that fires their coach after that? Probably not. That's the real predicament....not the 9 mil buyout IMO.

I think Joe T should be playing and should be starting. I think Fran saw that last night as well. He unfortunately doesn't play with a lot of control and that can be maddening. He is a live turnover waiting to happen cause he's just not adjusted to the game yet. That will come IMO. Unfortunately for Iowa, Connor's probably the 2nd or 3rd best guard on the team with Jordan a shell of himself. He's going to have to play if anything out of necessity. He plays tough and is strong with the ball, but it's not good enough. Period.

If this continues to go south.... a 9 million dollar buy out and 4 years remaining on a contract is pretty standard and absorbable by any university. I think it's more of a "look" thing at this point. How would it look for a school that went to 3 NCAA's in 14 years to fire a coach that just went to 4 in 6? Probably not great. How desirable is a job that fires their coach after that? Probably not. That's the real predicament....not the 9 mil buyout IMO.
If we don’t make the tournament this year we would have missed it in 3 out of 4 years. In other words, regression

If we don’t make the tournament this year we would have missed it in 3 out of 4 years. In other words, regression

then a 9 million dollar buy out aint shit. That's probably on the low end of most coaches buy outs in contracts. Fran is not a highly paid coach. Iowa can get rid of him at any time.

then a 9 million dollar buy out aint shit. That's probably on the low end of most coaches buy outs in contracts. Fran is not a highly paid coach. Iowa can get rid of him at any time.

Especially for a university whose athletic department revenue supposedly ranks Top 15 or so nationally - at least if I remember correctly from what Jon Miller said once, several years back. Yet people cry poor.. Not sure I buy that.

Especially for a university whose athletic department revenue supposedly ranks Top 15 or so nationally - at least if I remember correctly from what Jon Miller said once, several years back. Yet people cry poor.. Not sure I buy that.
Iowa is not poor, it's one of the bigger revenue generating athletic programs in the country. It's going to be a lot cheaper to pay 9 million in the long run to get rid of 3 McCaffery's that have sank the program. Look at it as a 3 million buy out for each.

It shouldn’t be, but I don’t think our athletic department really cares that much about b-ball anyway.

I haven’t given up all hope yet anyway.

It shouldn’t be, but I don’t think our athletic department really cares that much about b-ball anyway.

I haven't either, but it's hard to call last night an outlier with 2 seasons ago still so fresh in my mind. I personally think Iowa cares A LOT about basketball. I also think they had a pretty quick hook on TL. 3 years is a quick hook. It needed to be. I am hoping they have it here too if need be.

This isn't Connor or Pat's fault, I feel badly for them. I think Patrick is gonna be a player, he is athletic enough to play, he needed to RS this year, take another year of growth and I think he could be an impact player for 3 years. Connor just isn't a D1 player. I do like some of his game, I like his toughness and his physical play, but his Dad puts him in awful spots by having him as our PG. I mean at least Fran realizes he can't have him defend the opponents PG, and has CJ on them instead.

You're right that 2 years ago made last night way worse. It was an exact replica of how it looked back then.

You're right that 2 years ago made last night way worse. It was an exact replica of how it looked back then.

2 years ago I was like "it's one game, every one settle down, things could still be ok, it's not that bad" right at first. Hell, I was like that LAST NIGHT. I thought to myself "in the 2nd half, it's gonna get close, there's no way we can play that bad and Depaul can shoot that well". At the 10 minute mark, Pat Harty tweeted "Hawks trying to hang around to make a 2nd half push" ....and I was like .... "no, they haven't even cut into the lead, they are actually playing worse"

I just aint gonna do it this season. I am not. I will watch a few more games and I hope they turn it around, I am just not in the belief that they can or will.

I've been ready to part with Fran for a couple years now. Not only has he failed to recruit a legit Big Ten Guard in 10 years, had no postseason runs, plays too many guys, doesn't know when to use a time out or teach defense... his tantrums and continual embarrassing meltdowns have run their course. Last year when he went after the referee and obliterated him with f bombs after the game in the tunnel was the last straw. The Refs are not the reason we lose games, our poor coaching and clear lack of athleticism are the reason we have been mediocre at best the last 10 years

2 years ago I was like "it's one game, every one settle down, things could still be ok, it's not that bad" right at first. Hell, I was like that LAST NIGHT. I thought to myself "in the 2nd half, it's gonna get close, there's no way we can play that bad and Depaul can shoot that well". At the 10 minute mark, Pat Harty tweeted "Hawks trying to hang around to make a 2nd half push" ....and I was like .... "no, they haven't even cut into the lead, they are actually playing worse"

I just aint gonna do it this season. I am not. I will watch a few more games and I hope they turn it around, I am just not in the belief that they can or will.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but two years ago when Iowa took it's first loss early against Louisiana, while some others were saying "It's just one game, other teams have games like this, we'll be fine, step back from the ledge, etc. etc." my reaction was basically "Uh oh, that is NOT a good omen." Turns out I was right.

That's what I fear last night's game means, too. Like you, I hope to be wrong, but... Not a good omen.

Welcome to the dark side.

To think some were worried we would lose out on them if Fran left town.

Year 10....I think Fran has run his course. He dug us out of the ditch only to put us back into the ditch 10 years later. Foster is like yep mom, this is why I held my nose and went the other way.

"But I just felt I had a better chance at success at Iowa State." XF
That should stick in the University President's craw, the Athletic Director's craw, and the Head Mens Basketball Coach's craw, just like it does in all of ours...and the kid's not wrong.

This isn't Connor or Pat's fault, I feel badly for them. I think Patrick is gonna be a player, he is athletic enough to play, he needed to RS this year, take another year of growth and I think he could be an impact player for 3 years. Connor just isn't a D1 player. I do like some of his game, I like his toughness and his physical play, but his Dad puts him in awful spots by having him as our PG. I mean at least Fran realizes he can't have him defend the opponents PG, and has CJ on them instead.

It's the low-hanging fruit.

unfortunately, no one has the two kids best interests in mind........one should be redshirted and the other should be in the batting cage year round.

I once heard Greg McDermott make a commit that he was told your kid better be the best player on the team (like Doug was) or the worst kid who sits at the end of the bench. Anything in between and you will have problems. That is where Connor and Patrick fall.

I don't blame them, and let's be honest, if their last name was Smith, Iowa still would have signed them because they were highly rated recruits playing for a local high school. They are the same type of player that Mr. Davis would have signed too. So they would be on this team regardless of their last name.

However, I agree with everyone that Patrick should be redshirting to get bigger and stronger just like Baer did and like how Nunge was supposed to have been doing last year. Conner should have a similar role to Maishe Dailey used to have, come in as a backup for 5-10 minutes per game while the starters get a break. He should not be a starting Big 10 PG.

But again, don't blame the kids, the coaches are the ones putting them in these situations.