Fran's Grade after 5 years

Yeah I think people needs on calm down and realize he only "brought us back" to 5th place in the conference. Is more relevance good? Yes, but let's stay grounded

We finished tied for 3rd. Don't confuse the standings with BTT seeding...and the 2 teams we tied with only played WI once.

I think some people are confusing what place we finished in (tied for 3rd) and what seed we got in the B1G tourney (5th).

Ralph & Lute brought in players like Freddie Brown, John Johnson, Ronnie Lester & Sam Williams. Fran has not brought in one player of that talent. Plus, Wooden seemed to get the best players without the one & done rule. Of course, freshman ineligibility helped.

again, apples and hand grenades.

No, Fran is not a legendary coach, like the 3 you mention above....agreed.

Since when is the size of a college student body relevant to how good the basketball team is? Check out these enrollments:

Wofford 1500
Hampton 3800
Providence 3800
Valparaiso 4000
Xavier 4500
Butler 4900

All of these programs have made the tournament this year. All have made the tournament multiple times in the past 10 years.

Exactly. Throw in

Gonzaga 7691

taking over a program who's football team literally had more wins than the basketball team the year before and 5 years later having them win an NCAA tournament game (plus make some sort of post season 4 years in a row) is pretty remarkable. Iowa was left a radioactive crater after lickliter got fired. Hopefully this time around Iowa fans (myself included) will accept making the NCAA tournament and getting to the 2nd round as a successful season, not an entitlement and will be understanding of the occasional down year which next season appears to be without major offseason improvements in almost all areas.

Yeah, used to be that when football was over and basketball was starting, I dreaded it and couldn't wait until Fall. Now...yeesh...looking forward to basketball again, even though there are some serious questions about the team we'll see on the court. Not qualified to grade coach...go with a B since the future is pretty unclear.

A group of us over on what used to be the Hawk central forum used to do a game thread on the forum there during all the Lick years. I've needed professional help and medications ever since.....lol. Hell no I don't ever want to go back to that and so I am grateful at what Fran has done thus far. I would however like him to now knotch it up a bit in recruiting and performance. Some have said that will happen with the recruits we have coming in next year. If true I am anxiously looking forward to see what they can do.

B- Carver Hawkeye Arena can still be Cricket Hawkeye Arena at times, posing little help to the home team....no way a solid B or better given VERY average recruiting over the last 5 years. And that brings us to 5 years, which is 2 years longer than needed to show a one and done season. Folks, their is nothing wrong with a B-.....would have been better has he not lost so many last minute recruits the past 3 seasons....VERY discouraging! Had Iowa State actually done something noteworthy, Fran may have gotten a C+ given the Clones ability to out recruit and rebuild on the fly every 2 years....makes us look severely outworked. Whether you want to believe human nature or not, Fran is getting higher grades and benefiting because the Clones choked and did not make a deep run....had they done so, Fran would be getting a lot side by side evaluations from Hawk fans.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why so many are applying a grade based on recruiting?? Would you rather have Fran killing it on the recruiting front like Illinois (7) 4* recruits over the last 3 years, but having almost ZERO results on the floor (2 1st round NIT losses in the last 2 years).

I would bet some would "feel better" if Marble was a 4* who turned into 1st team All B1G and White was a 4* who now had his name littered all throughout Iowa's all time leader in all sorts of categories. Not sure why this matters, but it certainly seems to. I think Fran has hit on a recruit that is of 4* caliber each year even though they weren't ranked a 4* (Marble, then White, then Gesell & Uthoff, then Jok, then Uhl, and at least 1 FR this year). To me that is more important than securing a top 50 kid like Woody or Matt Thomas, or a top 125 kid like Ogs who just never give you the top 50 or top 125 results like a Marble, White, Gesell, Uthoff, and eventually Jok and Uhl will.

Your grade should be based on results with what Fran & Co. have as a team from year to year....not on recruiting.....I can agree w/some on that point.....Case in point, 4-5* kids that get their a$$es handed to them by our 2-3* kids, on paper they're better, on the field, maybe not so much...Fran has done the most w/what he has right now (resulting in a higher grade), recruiting, he's come close to some top notch kids, but not landed them (resulting in maybe a lower grade because maybe these kids could've been the cog in the wheel that got Iowa over the hump...i.e Ulis)....Fran has improved each year and I feel the results are there and heading in the right direction...

I'm not sure why so many are applying a grade based on recruiting?? Would you rather have Fran killing it on the recruiting front like Illinois (7) 4* recruits over the last 3 years, but having almost ZERO results on the floor (2 1st round NIT losses in the last 2 years).

I would bet some would "feel better" if Marble was a 4* who turned into 1st team All B1G and White was a 4* who now had his name littered all throughout Iowa's all time leader in all sorts of categories. Not sure why this matters, but it certainly seems to. I think Fran has hit on a recruit that is of 4* caliber each year even though they weren't ranked a 4* (Marble, then White, then Gesell & Uthoff, then Jok, then Uhl, and at least 1 FR this year). To me that is more important than securing a top 50 kid like Woody or Matt Thomas, or a top 125 kid like Ogs who just never give you the top 50 or top 125 results like a Marble, White, Gesell, Uthoff, and eventually Jok and Uhl will.

Nail on head post....Look at what Crean did with his #1 ranked recruiting class or this Illinois coach running off most of his players to make room for his new 4 stars. Would grade would some of you give them? They got their "recruiting" humming with lackluster results. Results are what we should be grading. Heck, I give Fran even more credit for outperforming those teams without getting a top target. Makes me even more excited to see what he can do if he actually does get a couple big gets. We also need to see the caliber of players coming in next year before giving a final grade on recruiting. I give him a B+ to this point. Would of been an A if not for the late season collapse last year, which maybe could been avoided if Marble had rallied the troops like White did this year. Lets also remember that the 2 best seniors Iowa is losing (White & Olaseni) were 2-3 star recruits. Ogs was a 3-4 star recruit......results matter.

I think people forget just how bad Iowa was when Fran got here. 5 years is a "long time" in today's standards, but he had to build this thing from the very, very, very bottom up. Recruiting has been okay given that Fran had to recruit from the basement of the B1G. Sometimes success lags behind recruiting. In this case, I think recruiting will lag behind success...Iowa is still in brand rebuilding mode, in my opinion.

I put him at A-.

I agree with BiasedHawkeye, an A-. I, being the Mayor of REALville, give Fran credit for Recruiting Woodbury, Mike Gesell,
Jarrod Uthoff and bringing in Whitey, plus Dev. All of them were A+ recruits and Fran convinced them to be HAWKEYES.

The Iowa Hawkeyes just got a TON of National, positive media exposure, the likes of which hasn't happened in a while.
The Hawkeyes return 3-4 starters, next year (Gesell, UTE, Woody, Jok/Sapp), so an A- very much in line.

GO HAWKS

I am a teacher so I will grade him by four quarters (quarter 1 includes first 2 years): Q1 = B+, because he started with such a low position which was not his fault and still got into the NIT; Q2 (year 3)= B, NIT finals (recruiting misses); Q3 (year 4) = B, NCAA 1st round (late season collapse); Q4 (year 5) = B+, NCAA 3rd round (road warriors). This teacher believes in extra credit, so when Fran develops players like Gatens, May, Gabe, Dev, and Whitey, I would give grade Fran a final five year grade of an A-. The only reason he's not a full A is because of his recruiting, I would blame it on his values of trying to get good characters with strong academics individuals to come to IA. This reason alone can limit the four and five star recruiting pool for IA. Just my evaluation.

I think recruiting will pick up with being in the NCAA tournament a few times now. Mccaffery doesnt have to sell "hope" of getting to the tournament. Theyve been there now 2 straight years and proven, he can take them to the dance.

Guys, you can't have results or year to year continuity without good recruiting, and in my mind, that all starts with the ability to evaluate talent and fill whatever needs you have with quality players, and it ends with sealing the deal and getting a commitment. We only have one true post player for next year, so Fran hasn't quite done all he can in the recruiting department.

I think Fran is doing an excellent job overall, but I can't give him an A+ across the board because of the unfilled needs we currently have in the front court. Sorry. Now if he goes out and finds a good big guy that can come in and contribute right away next year, I will change my opinion here, but I have to go with what we know as of right now.

Obviously coaching is crucial - there are several coaches that can recruit but just don't get the results (Rick Barnes, Tom Crean, etc.) but IMO, you need to recruit AND be able to coach if you expect to win consistently. You can be the greatest coach in the world, but if you're failing to properly evaluate recruits and aren't bringing in players with adequate talent, there's only so much success you're going to have.

I agree, in the end, it's the results that count, but it's hard to get results without good personnel to go out and win for you.

Last edited:
Guys, you can't have results or year to year continuity without good recruiting, and in my mind, that all starts with the ability to evaluate talent and fill whatever needs you have with quality players, and it ends with sealing the deal and getting a commitment. We only have one true post player for next year, so Fran hasn't quite done all he can in the recruiting department.

I think Fran is doing an excellent job overall, but I can't give him an A+ across the board because of the unfilled needs we currently have in the front court. Sorry. Now if he goes out and finds a good big guy that can come in and contribute right away next year, I will change my opinion here, but I have to go with what we know as of right now.

Obviously coaching is crucial - there are several coaches that can recruit but just don't get the results (Rick Barnes, Tom Crean, etc.) but IMO, you need to recruit AND be able to coach if you expect to win consistently. You can be the greatest coach in the world, but if you're failing to properly evaluate recruits and aren't bringing in players with adequate talent, there's only so much success you're going to have.

I agree, in the end, it's the results that count, but it's hard to get results without good personnel to go out and win for you.

Nobody is arguing that recruiting better can lead to better results.

But in the end it's the results that we are judging.

There can be 20 pages by the end of this post. The only point is there has been visible advancement every year.

I fear a few fans look at the transfer luck (before BDJ) in Ames and expect more, UAB helps with that.

Latest posts