Fran's Grade after 5 years

I'm so curious about the last kid to commit. Fran knows we need bigs and he signs a guy who plays a position that we don't have a need for. Fran always says that he will always take the best available player. It really makes me think Fran thinks he is better than the guys already commited.
This post might best sum up Fran's tenure here^^.

So because you don't like how 7 minutes of the last game went Fran drops an entire grade? Hey kid you had an A in my class but I really don't like how you answered the first 7 questions on today's 40 question test. I've decided to disregard your work up to this point and drop you from an A to a B.
"Hey kid, you had a really good grade until you failed your final exam. So, your A dropped to a B." Seems reasonable to me.

I'm going to predict we are an NIT team in 2026. I jave no info to make that prediction anything more than a complete guess. But hey, I might end up right too.
You are looking 8 years into the future. he was looking 2 years into the future. I can look at this team and the next 2 years worth of recruiting commits and get a pretty good idea where we'll be at. I'll say a 1st or maybe a 2nd round NCAA tourney loss.

This is the first year I am really questioning Fran. The regression is noticeable and significant. That said he's got the rest of this year, next year.

All is not lost.

Prior to this year I would have given Fran a solid B- overall.

He's trying a number of things to disguise weaknesses, which is good. Dailey getting more minutes at point, 1-3-1, etc. But some things...like the infuriating Center hedge on the ball screen, dribbling at the point too long, etc remain staples.

Love Jbo but he needs to be at the 2 and a backup 1.

He'll, I don't know. I still like Fran but understand some thinking he may not take us higher. He likely gets 2-3 more years as long as this season is an aberration.

Go Hawks.

In just 3 years since Deace and Jon gave out the B+ and A grades, where we are NOW in less then 3 years would be an F in my book

Surprisingly, I still have him a B overall in incomplete year 8 (year 8 still in progress). However, I think we are trending downward fast. He improved every year in his first four years and dug the program out of the gutter. He has had 2 NCAAs and 1 NIT since then. He probably will not have a tourney team this year.

But, I think we are trending downward fast. This year has been a solid F for sure. With Fran's temperament (does not look like a guy having much fun coaching here), poorly coached fundamentals (especially on defense), and poor recruiting (especially at point guard), I think the future does not look very good for him at the helm. This is mostly on the eyeball test for me (and some objective measures). And the problems we have this year were also problems Fran's best teams at Iowa had....only showing up much worse.

Without complete recruiting at key positions, I'm not convinced what we have coming in will be enough to save him (Joe W, Fran boys).

I think he has at least 2 years to turn things around. If not, I would predict, at this point, he will be gone.

Last edited:
This is the first year I am really questioning Fran. The regression is noticeable and significant. That said he's got the rest of this year, next year.

All is not lost.

Prior to this year I would have given Fran a solid B- overall.

He's trying a number of things to disguise weaknesses, which is good. Dailey getting more minutes at point, 1-3-1, etc. But some things...like the infuriating Center hedge on the ball screen, dribbling at the point too long, etc remain staples.

Love Jbo but he needs to be at the 2 and a backup 1.

He'll, I don't know. I still like Fran but understand some thinking he may not take us higher. He likely gets 2-3 more years as long as this season is an aberration.

Go Hawks.

I've actually questioned him during the non conference and early conference season each of the last 4 years. The last 3 he has answered my questions. It remains to be seen if he does this year.