Frans demeanor

damnfinn

Saw Fran on tv last night and the guy looks exhausted. His team just made the NCAA tourney but he looked like someone just killed his dog or something, no excitement no smiles. nothing. I'm kinda worried about the toll this season has taken on him and beginning to wonder if this isn't carrying over to his team. This is what he had to say about his team,(also has me worried) "our team is incredibly business like in how we approach everything. There was hugging, but it wasn't jumping up and down on each others heads or anything like that, we're not that type of team." My guess is somewhere along the line they lost all emotion for the game and are no longer having fun, hate to say it but I think we are 1 and done.

Yeah, I am not so sure though Sportstalent...I think a collapse like the Hawks went through...plus Patrick's health issue...and that's more than enough for anyone to handle.

He looks totally defeated.

Put yourself in his shoes. His son's condition became public last week, its probably been on his mind for weeks. Surgery on Wednesday to see if it's cancerous or not. Yeah, I can really blame the guy for looking tired. Cannot even imagine that stress.

How can he not be preoccupied with his son's illness? Not to mention he has his biggest day on his biggest job. I'd be a wreck.

Let's hope it's win-win on wednesday - but if we can only have one - I'd gladly trade a Hawk win for a Cancer Free Patrick!

Prayers sent for Coach and family.

I think they've all been reading HN a lot lately.

I actually thought exactly this when he started talking about no jumping around or hugging...he even used "business like" which was jokingly thrown around on here a few times...

With that...and Woodbury's shush...and McCabe's lash out...part of me wonders if that did play a small part in this whole thing...couldn't tune out the outside world...

Just grasping at straws though.

His son may have cancer & he looks like he might have a lot on his mind? At TOURNAMENT TIME no less?!?! How dare he.

His son may have cancer & he looks like he might have a lot on his mind? At TOURNAMENT TIME no less?!?! How dare he.

this thread was not a flame towards Fran at all, Im worried about the guy. Did you see him on tv he looks exhausted and defeated, not good at all. I'm a supporter of Fran and wish him all the best, I want him back next year and the year after.

His kid has a fking thyroid tumor for crissakes.

The guy shouldn't be anywhere near a gym on Wednesday as far as I'm concerned.

Look, there are far worse tumor sites than the thyroid, especially for a young person, but if that were my son, I'd be gripping hard and not really honed in on my career obligations.

In fact if I were Barta I'd make it clear in no uncertain terms that the expectation is that you NOT coach on Wednesday. It's just a game.

Last edited:
His kid has a fking tryroid tumor for crissakes.

Look, there are far worse tumor sites than the thyroid, especially for a young person, but if that were my son, I'd be gripping hard and not really honed in on my career obligations.

In fact if I were Barta I'd make it clear in no uncertain terms that the expectation is that you NOT coach on Wednesday. It's just a game.

Agreed. But if he DOES show up to the locker room at 7p with an ear-to-ear grin, it would be epic...

For the players, hard to be excited when your potential far exceeds a 11 seed play in game.

I wish he would just take it off too. This is much bigger than BB. But everyone has to handle these things in their own way

Especially because it's not like he is abandoning them...Kirk Speraw is a more than capable head coach.

Exactly. Guy should be nowhere near the team right now. Sometimes as a leader, you have to realize when you've done all you can and have confidence in your troops and let them execute with the knowledge that you have confidence in them. I've seen a lot of workaholics get a personal or family terminal disease diagnosis and think they have to keep working because of how they are wired, but they are ultimately more of a distraction to the matter at hand than what they add by being there. There's nothing macho about trying to show how tough you are in the face of a family or personal crisis, though. It just isn't worth it and if this guy's head isn't in the game (which I don't think it can be at this point), he needs to bounce.

Exactly. Guy should be nowhere near the team right now. Sometimes as a leader, you have to realize when you've done all you can and have confidence in your troops and let them execute with the knowledge that you have confidence in them. I've seen a lot of workaholics get a personal or family terminal disease diagnosis and think they have to keep working because of how they are wired, but they are ultimately more of a distraction to the matter at hand than what they add by being there. There's nothing macho about trying to show how tough you are in the face of a family or personal crisis, though. It just isn't worth it and if this guy's head isn't in the game (which I don't think it can be at this point), he needs to bounce.

I conquer that he looked very run down.....tired. With his kid's situation, the team limping into the tournament and having it happen all on the same day, a lot of pressure there. I think Kirk S should coach the team that day.

Having gone through a similar situation a couple of years ago, it is very difficult to focus and he is at a totally different kind of pressure he is dealing with at the college level.

Here is how my day was and I Fran may be there at one point, but I hope not. Go to work, go to practice, go to the hospital for a few hours and then go sleep for an hour or two. While at the hospital you wonder if your kid is going to live.

Then for the next few weeks you get people saying...you look like you need sleep...no kidding.

Look as for the team, they probably have not had to deal with anything like this and at this time they are kids when it comes to how to act. It is not something that can just be dealt with and with the unknowns they feel for thier coach and a kid who ia probably around them more than his friends.

Cut everyone a break and if you cant understand it, go away.

Having gone through a similar situation a couple of years ago, it is very difficult to focus and he is at a totally different kind of pressure he is dealing with at the college level.

Here is how my day was and I Fran may be there at one point, but I hope not. Go to work, go to practice, go to the hospital for a few hours and then go sleep for an hour or two. While at the hospital you wonder if your kid is going to live.

Then for the next few weeks you get people saying...you look like you need sleep...no kidding.

Look as for the team, they probably have not had to deal with anything like this and at this time they are kids when it comes to how to act. It is not something that can just be dealt with and with the unknowns they feel for thier coach and a kid who ia probably around them more than his friends.

Cut everyone a break and if you cant understand it, go away.

Well done. I went through major health scares with my wife and two of my kids. At work I have to be "the man." It wears on ya. Those who have not been through it — and honestly, those who haven't had a high profile in-the-public eye job — simply can not fathom it.

Fran said in an interview there is no way he will miss the game. Personally, having a in-the-public eye job, I get that. I also know the desire he may have to not be in Dayton.

I can't help but wonder how this has affected the team as a whole — and anyone who does not believe it hasn't is simply nuts.

Latest posts