Fran's Contract

He's only coached at Iowa for 19 years, don't know if you're counting Maine or wherever he coached before that for the other three years.

That means 32% of the time he's finished ranked. Not great but above average since there are like 121 programs that could qualify to be in the top 25. I'm too lazy to do that math on the law of averages for one team to finish in the top 25 32% of the time when there are 121 teams possible to do so but I'd bet there are about 80-85 teams that would take 32%.
LMFAO @ you for thinking that is above average. He's literally finished ranked 31.5% of the time he's been a head coach at Iowa. 68.5% of the time he's finished average to mediocre. #LivingLegend

Better question, when does Barta's contract expire? I don't want him making the next coaching decision.
Exactly. Barta first.

One side I don't see discussed very much is does the student body care? The Michigan student body stormed the president's house forcing him to fire the AD. Do students get up in arms and contact the administration over poor performing athletics or do they just not buy tickets and do something else instead?

LMFAO @ you for thinking that is above average. He's literally finished ranked 31.5% of the time he's been a head coach at Iowa. 68.5% of the time he's finished average to mediocre. #LivingLegend

So you're laughing at facts that make your argument wrong? Knock yourself out.

There are about 125 teams in D-1 football, so, by average, a team should make the top 25 once every 5 years. After twenty years, a team should have made it four times, or 25%. Kirk is at 32% (rounding up from 31.5%) after 19 years. Considering the slam-dunk-to-make-the top-25 teams with recruiting advantages like Bama, Oklahoma, OSU, Clemson, and about 10 other teams, Kirk's record is pretty good actually.

Not great or legend-like by any means but pretty good.

There are about 125 teams in D-1 football, so, by average, a team should make the top 25 once every 5 years. After twenty years, a team should have made it four times, or 25%. Kirk is at 32% (rounding up from 31.5%) after 19 years. Considering the slam-dunk-to-make-the top-25 teams with recruiting advantages like Bama, Oklahoma, OSU, Clemson, and about 10 other teams, Kirk's record is pretty good actually.

If you're going to factor in the slam dunk makes, you have to factor in the slam dunk misses too.

If you're going to factor in the slam dunk makes, you have to factor in the slam dunk misses too.

You'd also have to factor in 4 top 8 finishes in 19 years=21%.

So how many schools can state that as an accomplishment during the last 19 years?

Would you say Kirk is better than average in that department?

I'm not a Kirk supporter but if he's been average than Fran has been bad.

A few things.
Those 5 top 10 seasons for most fans make him a legend. Most fans don't think Iowa should EVER finish in the Top 10 cuz they've bought into the reverse hype KF has been pushing since day one.
13 of the 19 seasons he's underachieved. This season being a perfect example. If you can crush Ohio State you can also beat Purdue and Northwestern. But KF can't cuz he doesn't adapt to game-day conditions and he thinks his program shouldn't be expected to win against programs with inferior resources. He wasn't embarrassed about losing to an FCS squad,and that fact alone should get him fired. He's not embarrassed about any of his losses. He always rationalizes away those directional-school catastrophes.
Lastly, KF has made it clear that he is willing to open his usually closed mind when his seat is hot. He dumped Rudock in favor of CJB and he hated doing that. The only reason that happened was a warm seat. KF had intense manlove for Rudock who never questioned the supreme-leader. Rudock also proved he could be pretty good with a coach who expected to win rather than hoped to win.
I can find a million posts on here hating Nick Saban. But his ego can accommodate the egos of a truckload of 5 stars. Kirk's ego can't even accomodate one, unless it's a legacy, and even then it's a struggle for Chancellor Palpatine.

A few things.
Those 5 top 10 seasons for most fans make him a legend. Most fans don't think Iowa should EVER finish in the Top 10 cuz they've bought into the reverse hype KF has been pushing since day one.
13 of the 19 seasons he's underachieved. This season being a perfect example. If you can crush Ohio State you can also beat Purdue and Northwestern. But KF can't cuz he doesn't adapt to game-day conditions and he thinks his program shouldn't be expected to win against programs with inferior resources. He wasn't embarrassed about losing to an FCS squad,and that fact alone should get him fired. He's not embarrassed about any of his losses. He always rationalizes away those directional-school catastrophes.
Lastly, KF has made it clear that he is willing to open his usually closed mind when his seat is hot. He dumped Rudock in favor of CJB and he hated doing that. The only reason that happened was a warm seat. KF had intense manlove for Rudock who never questioned the supreme-leader. Rudock also proved he could be pretty good with a coach who expected to win rather than hoped to win.
I can find a million posts on here hating Nick Saban. But his ego can accommodate the egos of a truckload of 5 stars. Kirk's ego can't even accomodate one, unless it's a legacy, and even then it's a struggle for Chancellor Palpatine.

My bad, Kirk's had 5 top 10 seasons. How many programs have had that success rate in the last 19 years? Maybe 15?

But this is a Fran thread. Kirk not great but above average/Fran this year takes him down to average consideration and he's trending down.

A few things.

I repeat, the narrative from everyone (and I'm the only one bucking this narrative that I'm aware of) on every Hawk site is that KF is a better human being than every member of the coaching fraternity.
I don't believe that. I've used evidence to that affect over and over. He is morally no different than Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Harbaugh, etc. Name me all the other coaches considered his peer who use their position to engineer their child's professional future? He isn't better than them, nor worse. He is proportionally the same.

I repeat, the narrative from everyone (and I'm the only one bucking this narrative that I'm aware of) on every Hawk site is that KF is a better human being than every member of the coaching fraternity.
I don't believe that. I've used evidence to that affect over and over. He is morally no different than Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Harbaugh, etc. Name me all the other coaches considered his peer who use their position to engineer their child's professional future? He isn't better than them, nor worse. He is proportionally the same.
A very large portion of Iowa fans are bigger Kirk fans than they are Iowa fans. It's really not disputable.

So, where did he finish in the rankings for the other 14 years? o_O
Oh I have that one memorized
Why do you keep bringing up Mr. Davis, I agree with you he is overrated :)
I don't care how many points we score, I care about the W. I would actually prefer Fran slow it down and keep the possessions down to keep us in games, his "style" needs to adjust to his roster.
Our record says otherwise, we are bad. If you are saying there is talent on the team, that is a whole other thread in itself, and just further drives home the point that many of us a questioning Fran's ability to coach if we have talent but yet are indeed as bad as we look all year. I believe at least 50% of our roster is MAC level players at best, but that is another story.
50%????? trust me its way more that. We won't suck as bad next year because of Weiscamp but we will still kind of suck. Didn't they modify the shot clock a couple of years ago? I'm pretty sure you can't slow it down as much as you could under Lick

Your percentage numbers are inaccurate. You are assuming the pollsters respect non power five conferences which they don't. A sun belt team could go 10-2 and probably wouldn't be ranked.It's a hell of alot easier to get iowa ranked than half the teams in college football

Through 1/3 of the B1G schedule, the teams we've lost to are:

OSU - T1st
UM - T2nd
IU - T3rd
MD - T3rd
PSU - T3rd

I am not saying we played well enough to win any of those games; those teams are showing to be front runners in the conf and a common characteristic in each game has been Iowa allowing an extended run to go down 15+, coming back to within 5, then allowing another run to lose. That is coaching. I get that. But we haven't lost to the dogs of the conference. I am hopeful and do feel the Illanoy win was an elixir and we will now go on a nice run.

It’s true there are 10-15 blue bloods that take upn1/2 the slots.

It’s also true that 60 of the 65 G5 or mid-majors don’t have a shot at the Top25 and those 5 that have a shot are going to have to be 12-0 to 10-2. Maybe 9-3 depending on how many P5 teams are 9-3 or 8-4.

KF has led Iowa to 4-5 amazing seasons.
1-2 shoulduv wins per year and moved from L column would have put Iowa in the Top25 another 5 seasons.

Kirk has had success here and Fran hasn't.

Define "success". If you mean "Getting to the Elite Eight, Final Four or better", then you're correct, he has not had "success".

But, given what was in Iowa City (in terms of the program) when he arrived, I'd say he has succeeded in turning things around.

Getting to the next level is the question. It's not a question that can be answered yet, IMO.

Latest posts