Fran’s alleged meltdown

There's a HUGE difference between having a coach who doesn't take any shit and let's the refs (as well as his team) know it and having one who chases a ref down the stadium tunnel once the game is over and questions his character and literally accuses him of cheating.

The former you'd go to war with....the latter gets fired.
Will Fran or Gary apologize to all the "mothers" who somehow have been thrown into the latest vulgar laced psychofran incident? Probably not.

You've been sniffing too much glue in @ClintonIAfan 's chick basketball threads.
I have never sniffed glue, but since the totality of your thinking is an ad hominem attack, I'll clarify. My statement was that a beat reporter who covers tOSU for a living and an employee of the athletic dept. at tOSU are not unbiased sources. Then I'm not the one who repeatedly shows up at the Women's Basketball game threads and "mistakenly thinks their Men's games" and has to change his reservations and call his good friend Gary Barta about the schedule changes.

Then I'm not the one who repeatedly shows up at the Women's Basketball game threads and "mistakenly thinks their Men's games" and has to change his reservations and call his good friend Gary Barta about the schedule changes.
For the record I can never get through to Barta. I just call the 800 number and talk to whatever interns happen to be at the desk.

Sea Shell island has taught me enough to know that OSU information personnel probably doesn't have any bias against Fran McCaffery. We're not talking about a coach that has kept OSU from winning BIG titles. You think far more of Fran McCaffery than OSU sports people do. Who do you think Fran McCaffery is in the landscape of College basketball? GTFO.
I did not say a word about my opinion of Fran. I said a reporter who covers tOSU for a living, and needs to curry favors from them is not unbiased. Neither is an employee of tOSU, who was quoted as saying what Fran said "was bad". I do not know what Fran did or said, but I would not put much stock in these two witnesses that Rob described. I certainly would leave it up to Rob to let us know if he felt this was confirmation of the accusations. He did not write that in the article.

For the record I can never get through to Barta. I just call the 800 number and talk to whatever interns happen to be at the desk.
My apologies I misunderstood your relationship with Gary Barta. I am thinking the interns may be too young for you though.

As a coach there is zero reason to interact with an official after a game. Nothing good comes out of it and nothing he says will do anything positive for his program. If he has something to say about the officiating its during the game or taking a cheap shot during the press conference. He knew damn well what he was doing and that was creating both a scene and a distraction. Now instead of putting the matter to bed and focusing entirely on the next game they have this looming over the program and potential ramifications in the form of a possible fine or suspension. Well done Fran, way to step up for your team.

As a coach there is zero reason to interact with an official after a game. Nothing good comes out of it and nothing he says will do anything positive for his program. If he has something to say about the officiating its during the game or taking a cheap shot during the press conference. He knew damn well what he was doing and that was creating both a scene and a distraction. Now instead of putting the matter to bed and focusing entirely on the next game they have this looming over the program and potential ramifications in the form of a possible fine or suspension. Well done Fran, way to step up for your team.

If it wasn’t for some weasel reporter from shithole Toledo, this wouldn’t be a story. I’m sure Fran is the first coach to yell obscenities at an official in the tunnel, he’s not. Not on the floor, not in the PC, but in the tunnel.

If it wasn’t for some weasel reporter from shithole Toledo, this wouldn’t be a story. I’m sure Fran is the first coach to yell obscenities at an official in the tunnel, he’s not. Not on the floor, not in the PC, but in the tunnel.

No argument there. But what does he gain? What does the program gain? What do his players gain? Nothing is going to change and you just pissed off an official. You're right though, all officials are total professionals that don't talk or carry a grudge. I should applaud his effort and encourage it after every game. So its ok for a coach to have an absolute public tantrum, its just not ok when a reporter catches wind of it. Got ya.

I did not say a word about my opinion of Fran. I said a reporter who covers tOSU for a living, and needs to curry favors from them is not unbiased. Neither is an employee of tOSU, who was quoted as saying what Fran said "was bad". I do not know what Fran did or said, but I would not put much stock in these two witnesses that Rob described. I certainly would leave it up to Rob to let us know if he felt this was confirmation of the accusations. He did not write that in the article.
Turns out that the story in question was accurate. The BIG fined the University of Iowa $10,000. The University of Iowa suspended Fran for 2 games. Fran acknowledged what he said and apologized. In case you didn't hear. I guess you owe the OSU reporters/information people an apology. We won't hold our breath.

Turns out that the story in question was accurate. The BIG fined the University of Iowa $10,000. The University of Iowa suspended Fran for 2 games. Fran acknowledged what he said and apologized. In case you didn't hear. I guess you owe the OSU reporters/information people an apology. We won't hold our breath.
Not sure what you want me to apologize about. I said both guys probably had a Buckeye bias. I stand by that. Fran admitted he said inappropriate things, but we don't know if they reported it accurately. I doubt their feelings were hurt by my saying I didn't put much stock in what they said, but if they were hurt, I'm sorry that happened and I hope Fran learned something from this. Unlike your admirers i didn't engage in any ad hominem attacks on anyone.

Turgeon, Izzo, Pitino have something in common that Fran does not...wins, national credibility, and oh championships.
Credibility!? Lol!
MSU the one that supported a culture of sexual abuse on little girls? MSU that's prepared to pay out $500M. MSU that their leader then said he thought the abused girls were enjoying the spot light.
Where's Pitino coaching these days?

Last edited:
Credibility!? Lol!
MSU the one that supported a culture of sexual abuse on little girls? MSU that's prepared to pay out $500M. MSU that their leader then said he thought the abused girls were enjoying the spot light.
Where's Pitino coaching these days?

And yet those programs are successful this year and national media isn't shining a negative light on them nor bashing their coaches. Iowa is an embarrassment right now after this week, more than MSU or Louisville ever were for far WORSE actions!!! Shows how important winning is to perception. Iowa just doesn't have that credibility unfortunately.

Unless Fran exceeds his prior showings in post-season, this season will be viewed and treated like the others and continue to divide the fanbase and Fran becomes more polarizing figure.

My only issue was how easily Fran got his tech compared to Holtmann literally having to beg for several minutes to get his.

His T was over his foul machine of a player got 2 weak foul calls. After that, the guy who fouls out almost every game he plays in got zero more fouls. I guess his T worked.

Well, when you've spent the last 9 years being a complete jackass to people, you shouldn't be surprised if they have an itchy trigger finger. And yes, I know that Izzo, Ryan, etc did it as well....the difference is that they didn't let it linger off the court like Fran has.....
Your post reads that of course they have an itchy trigger finger with Fran because one day down the road he's going to let it linger off the court.

I disagree. Connor waved his hands at a ref that will almost always get you T’d. Stephen Bardo reiterated that on the BTN coverage.

I don’t care that Fran got T’d I find it interesting how easily he got T’d compared to Holtmann screaming at the officials for almost 5 minutes before getting his.
Stephen Bardo reiterated a lot of shit during the game that was incorrect..

Getting T’d up on a game to defend your players.

I’m okay with that.

Getting T’d up in a game for bad officiating when you’re getting beat by 20.

Okay. Whatever.
At best it could be strategy for the next time these refs officiate an Iowa game.

Following a ref in a hallway and screaming at him.
No. Uncalled for. Suspension worthy.

Being fired up is one thing. Chasing a ref down in the tunnel and accusing him of being a Cheating MnFer is grounds for suspension at a minimum and certainly could be grounds for termination...you just can’t publicly accuse an official of cheating...

It's definitely suspension worthy, but I would do it if that's what I felt.

Latest posts