Fran needs to get his anger under control

I have a feeling the majority of those complaining about Fran being too emotional are the same ones complaining that KF does not show enough emotion.

What emotion is appropriate in response to a perceived injustice? Crying? Sulking? Self-pity?

Argue. Disagree. Voice your displeasure loudly.

Don't kick the scorer's table or kick a notebook flying off it. Childish. Immature.

Not saying Fran shouldn't be passionate or emotional during games. He should; I like that about the guy, especially relative to his predecessor. No problem with him arguing a call and getting the occasional technical (although I think he can take lessons from Izzo, Matta, Ryan and a few others on how to effectively dissent without getting T'd up, but that's a whole 'nother thread.)

My problem is hitting, kicking or slamming objects. Those are classic signs of anger management issues. Your wives, co-workers, bosses, parents let you slam things at work or in your house, or kick things across the floor? I doubt they do. Or at least they shouldn't. Anyone who grew up in an abusive household knows what I'm getting at. (Fortunately, I didn't, but have learned a thing or two along the way about managing one's anger.)

We're lucky, so far, that a slammed chair didn't hurt a player or member of his staff, or that a kicked object didn't hit a fan or worker or member of the media. It's immature behavior and Fran needs to stop it.

I will pay you $1,000 on the first occurrence that a Fran-slammed chair significantly injures a player or member of his staff if you will pay me $5 each time it doesn't.

If your work environment is a competitive sports arena and you are the coach of a basketball team that is competing in said arena, your code of conduct and that conduct which is considered acceptable would be vastly different than that which is encoded or acceptable in an office-type environment. I think that distinction is fairly obvious and unimpeachable.

I will pay you $1,000 on the first occurrence that a Fran-slammed chair significantly injures a player or member of his staff if you will pay me $5 each time it doesn't.

If your work environment is a competitive sports arena and you are the coach of a basketball team that is competing in said arena, your code of conduct and that conduct which is considered acceptable would be vastly different than that which is encoded or acceptable in an office-type environment. I think that distinction is fairly obvious and unimpeachable.

What, does Fran now work in the WWE?

Last I knew he was an employee of the University of Iowa and coached a men's basketball team sanctioned by the NCAA and B1G conference in an arena owned by said university.

Argue. Disagree. Voice your displeasure loudly.

Don't kick the scorer's table or kick a notebook flying off it. Childish. Immature.

Those are, of course, outward manifestations of emotion, not particular emotions themselves.

Look, emotions and manifestations thereof are part of competitive spots. I'm not too worried about a notebook.

I think that the difference between Fran and all of us is this:

Fran goes crazy while ON T.V., you go crazy AT the T.V.

“I’ve got Italian blood and sometimes I get…..ehhhhh…over enthusiasticâ€￾ Frank Tagliano | Lilyhammer

I'm with law and skeets. Be passionate, but when you can't maintain control, it makes you look childish and does nothing positive for you or your team.

So basically if any of you hot heads went off at work like Fran has done during games your keisters would be at the very least given some type of reprimand or suspension and/or fired if it happened more than once but I forgot most of you knuckleheads don't work and live in your parents basements. :D

Bob Knight is fading from CBB radar because he's getting old. Someone asks who the best coaches in CBB history are, though, and Bob Knight will absolutely be one of the first five guys mentioned.

Wooden
Coach K
Knight
Lute (IMO, anyway)
Rupp

Fran is no Bobby Knight. Both of their behavior is unacceptable to me. They get away with it because they are highly paid basketball coaches.

When you go home tonight kick the wall, slam a kitchen chair to the floor and kick something off the counter. See if anyone else in your casa finds it "laughable."

He's not at home. He's at work. If some people think he goes too far I get that. But no one should be on here saying this goes on at home. No one should even be saying this goes on at a practice...unless they have been there and seen it first hand.

We're lucky, so far, that a slammed chair didn't hurt a player or member of his staff, or that a kicked object didn't hit a fan or worker or member of the media. It's immature behavior and Fran needs to stop it.

You're losing credibility quickly...implying results which have never occurred.

I think that's the right approach, and good for him for looking out for his players. Did he also slam chairs, kick the scorer's table, knock things across the floor?
The high school gyms I played in didn't have chairs, scorer stables and such......jk. I saw him stomp his feet, throw his sport coat, break a clipboard....it happens. I'm 46 and would still run thru a wall for him.

I would like to know if the coaching staff every sits back and has a good laugh at the antics of Fran.

I love what he has done for Iowa basketball. Majority of his T's are planned. I dont think he tried to get the one against MSU. i hate the "out of the box" bs that refs use.

there is no way to say a T lost a game. If T's did not influence officials coaches wouldn't get them. The flow of the game will often change after a T. The end of game strategy is different with those 2 points.

Hypothetical, the T never happened. Do we automatically win by 2 in regulation? No, the strategy changes

Latest posts