Fran Looking Around?

It made for an interesting read at least but Patrick was about pissing his pants for excitement after his HS season ended saying that he would FINALLY be putting on a Hawkeye uniform for real. To think him or Connor are just gonna say no big deal after all, we can play it out in Arkansas instead, whatever you say Dad, is really unlikely.

Living under a microscope has gotta suck no matter how much ya make.

Last edited:
I just heard from a very reliable source that four posters on Hawkeye Nation are on the short list in case Fran leaves. I did not make the cut. Damn.

I just heard from a very reliable source that four posters on Hawkeye Nation are on the short list in case Fran leaves. I did not make the cut. Damn.

I will confirm that I am one of those four. Currently putting my staff together. Looking for brilliant basketball minds and scouring HN for assistants and recruiters. This will not be a wasteland. Anyone interested?

Fran is a great coach and motivator. He SHOULD get interest with what he has done, given what he started with. I hope he stays another 10 years. But being good opens doors like this. I don’t feel like Ark would be a move “up”. Lateral move at best

I will confirm that I am one of those four. Currently putting my staff together. Looking for brilliant basketball minds and scouring HN for assistants and recruiters. This will not be a wasteland. Anyone interested?
Can I be walk-on coordinator? I'll form in 6 scout teams that can shuttle in and out of practice to stay fresh and give the 1's a good look. We'll call ourselves the Dirty Thirty.

he could have just checked the Butler message boards apparently.

It was a terrible hire, Barta should have known better. Ya really don't know how a fit is going to be, but you are always going to have a "great hire" camp and a "dumb hire" camp regardless of who you hire.

Barta (apparently) doesn't consult THIS message board enough, either!

Can I be walk-on coordinator? I'll form in 6 scout teams that can shuttle in and out of practice to stay fresh and give the 1's a good look. We'll call ourselves the Dirty Thirty.

I'm pretty sure that there are rules that prevent this.

My feelings/responses to the hires since Tom Davis was ushered out:

Alford - I wasn't as big on him as most others. I was never impressed with his 2nd-3rd place MVC finishes. As I said earlier, I like coaches who can win mid-major conferences, not finish 3rd. I got more excited when he took SWMS to the Sweet 16, and looked like they played good D. So I figured hey, finally a coach whose teams defend the 3 point line, etc. Didn't really work out that way.

Lick - When I heard the name.. My response was "Who?" Oh, the Butler coach. Ok, seems like they have a good program, so could be a good hire. I was initially optimistic.. I didn't know who Brad Stevens was at the time. Turned out Lick couldn't recruit worth a lick and the brand of basketball couldn't have helped matters.

Fran - At first I didn't like the hire. It looked like we were hiring a career mid-major guy, not an up-and-comer. Why hadn't this guy ever gotten an offer to coach in a major conference sooner? But I saw his success at Siena, that he had taken 3 other programs to the dance, so looked like he knew how to build a program and I warmed to it some after my initial disappointment.

My take on each:

Alford: though I was pissed at the way TD was "retired", and at Alford taking some backhanded swipes with raising the bar, I figured a guy that could SWMS to the Sweet 16, and who had been a college star himself, was going to mean good things. After we won the BTT in 2001, I really thought the "next level" was underway. The near-run in BTT following year still gave me hope. Fool's gold, obviously.

Lick: again, I figured a guy that was getting a mid-major to the Sweet 16 HAD to be good. I was wrong, though I did feel a bit sorry for they guy at times.

Fran: I was more impressed with the fact he had a semi-attractive wife than I was with him. But when a few Siena fans visited our boards saying, "He better not poach Basabe!", I really felt this was going to be gold. The way the program trended up his first four seasons--or "First Four", if you will--I thought it was definite "very good hire". I guess, for me, the jury is still out. Can he get us past the late-season fades? Can the program get past all the stupid distractions? I will say, if Patrick keeps developing and continues to "beat" cancer, and the program trends upward from its current state, I:d say, "Definitely a good hire". But...at this point, if he does get poached Arkansas, I won't be "pissed".

I think a lot of those guys. Miller and Howe didn't say anything about Iowa making a bad hire when they hired TL - they didn't know. I know they didn't cause I consume their product. They didn't. You are literally making shit up dude. Why? To make me look bad? To make yourself look better? It's a weird character trait. I don't get it. I asked you for proof that "basketball people" in the know knew it was a bad hire and you told me to go to the Butler message boards. I didn't make that up. You also said I was making "convoluted leaps" in regards to people thinking the TL hire was a good one based on his credentials. That's not a leap, that's what it was..... yes yes I know, not by beautiful basketball minds like yours.

F-ing platinum :)

I don’t really do that, just not my style. I don’t like to run from confrontation, and in fact I embrace it. I am also kind of drawn to that type of person. I feel obligated to say something tho I rarely start it. I don’t blame ya 1 bit for doing it tho. He & Lightning1 seem to disagree with whatever I say just to do it. It’s weird, but ok with me, gives me something to do. Whatever they say to me has 0 impact on my life.
What he says had zero impact on my life also. That’s the very reason I don’t bother looking at it. Why waste time on a dullard.