Fran Gets Paid

Excellent post. We are fortunate to have Fran. Apparently some do not appreciate what he has achieved so far. It has been rather extraordinary.....

Making the tournament is the next goal no matter how deep we go.....

There is a strong possibility we will go this season, next season should be a lock. We shall see....

:)

We appreciate what Fran has done so far but outside of Iowa City, no one really cares or thinks much of it especially considering what Hoiberg has done in Ames being a bigger story. Hopefully Fran can make a ripple outside of Iowa City and people will take notice.

Have at it...

"Steve Deace ‏@SteveDeaceShow Has a college hoops coach in a major conference that has yet to make the NCAA Tournament ever been granted a 7-year contract extension?"

I guess it is called the "Paul Rhoads Logic"...

HA not exactly the same thing. Altho sorta similar. ISU's ceiling in football is alot lower than what the Hawks bball ceiling is. All Rhoads has to do is keep ISU out of the basement and going to toilet bowls ever other year and he's good. Coach Macs deal doesn't really break the bank comparing him to other coaches. And his expectations are going to be higher. If Hawks aren't in tourny in 2 yrs for whatever reason he'll be on the hot seat too.

We appreciate what Fran has done so far but outside of Iowa City, no one really cares or thinks much of it especially considering what Hoiberg has done in Ames being a bigger story. Hopefully Fran can make a ripple outside of Iowa City and people will take notice.

Wrong. Around the league, fanbases have taken note of the job Fran has done. I have seen them comment on the Illini board,with grudging respect for Fran. Michigan,Purdue,Minny and Wis have noticed losing to Iowa for he first time in awhile,trust me.

This sorta answers that "is there loyalty in sports?" question. Fran is on his way to becoming a Hawkeye legend, and GarBar rewarded him with additional years of loyalty.
And a bunch of dough, too.

One key point for the extension now is that Fran has 4 years left on his original deal. With only one scholarship for 2013 Fran is actively recruiting for 2014 right now. Without an extension he would only have a contract through 2015-16 season (or the first 2 years the 2014 recruits are on campus) this is not a strong place to recruit from.

The three year extension allows him to look the recruit and their parents in the eye and say "I am under contract at Iowa for the entire time you will be at the university".

I think this is a good move by Barta, from this moment on I do however expect Fran to pay for any chairs he breaks. :D

Hadn't seen this posted yet. Not very long, but love hearing him talk. Hard not to be excited about Iowa basketball.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcz3CdKUrs]Iowa Men's Basketball Head Coach Fran McCaffery Comments on Contract Extension - YouTube[/ame]

I think this is a good move by Barta, from this moment on I do however expect Fran to pay for any chairs he breaks. :D

Good stuff. You bring up a good point. I wonder how the officials will react to Fran this year in conference play. Is it going to take a few more years to gain that respect?

Fran is the freak'n Man. He's not going to back down from anything or anyone. My message for the detractors is get out of the way or risk being run over. Lot of work remains and there will be some disappointments along the way but this bus is moving and we are not looking back.

Many national scribes have not only noticed but mentioned what Fran has done. Ryno must have is head buried in the sand. That or he's just being his usual pessimistic self.

Didnt we lose to the fighting camels by double digits at home last year?

I still think Fran is the man for the job and the team has continually improved but this was just too soon and unnecessary in my opinion.

One key point for the extension now is that Fran has 4 years left on his original deal. With only one scholarship for 2013 Fran is actively recruiting for 2014 right now. Without an extension he would only have a contract through 2015-16 season (or the first 2 years the 2014 recruits are on campus) this is not a strong place to recruit from.

The three year extension allows him to look the recruit and their parents in the eye and say "I am under contract at Iowa for the entire time you will be at the university".

Exactly. This was a necessary extension (for recruiting purposes) along with a nice raise as acknowledgement of the excellent job he has done so far. If he makes it to back-to-back NCAA's and keeps recruiting well he will get a bigger raise on his next extension.

I agree. The end of the Lick era was the lowpoint for Iowa bb since Dick Schultz...we are talking 40 some years,gang. When a program gets down that far, they can be cannon fodder for a decade or more. Iowa bb was on life-support and they were being measured for the casket. Fran had to to emergency resuscitation,and luckily was able to revive the fading patient.

Fran had little time to salvage this program,and he basically made zero mis-steps,anyone of which could have been fatal. Retaining Zach and Devyn,bringing in Melsahn, nailing Josh,and then grabbing Aaron and Gabe,and finally, securing Woody and Gesell....every recruit has panned out,above their rankings. He installed a style of play that attracted fans and recruits alike. He won some big games vs top 25 teams. He schmoozed the I Club folks. He recruited tirelessly and scored on the recruiting trail. He made the NIT and won a tourny game in Year 2.

Fran earned this contract by his performance. He had a two year probationary trial run,and he came thru with flying colors,unlike Lick.
He has shown a track record of turning around programs,and has Iowa on track for a major turnaround. He is the kind of coach you roll the dice on...it is a good gamble. And every coach is a gamble. Give me the guy who plays fast,talks fast,pitches his program fast,and wins fast. IU gave Crean 4 years to start to show some progress,and are now being rewarded. We have locked in Fran for the rest of his career,I think. Iowa has much better luck when they lock in longterm coaches in fb and bb.
Fran is one of those competitors who will never be satisfied,as he hates to lose. I like that kind of coach for the longterm.

What about the press conference he had to back his recruited felon that never played a game before leaving?

My gawd! After reading some of the tepid and dismissive comments about the job McCaffery has done here in a short two year span, I have to think that some of you just haven't been paying attention.

I commend Barta and congratulate Fran.

I'm OK with the salary but the length seems too long. He's proven some things the first 2 years to be certain and I think he's the right coach, but if things were to fall flat on their face for the next 3 years, we have 4 additional years at 1.6 mil to buy out. 5 years @ 1.6 mil and a clause for 'no easy out' would've seemed appropiate.I still think we have the right coach.

I think the fact that Iowa is still paying Lick has folks uneasy about the length of this contract. That being said Fran's the one for the job IMO

Latest posts