Fran Gets Paid

What about the press conference he had to back his recruited felon that never played a game before leaving?

And how did that negatively impact our basketball program? Fran took a shot on a talented guy that appeared to have turned his life around. It didn't work out. Now tell me how that negatively affected Fran or our program.

Nice find, Sheagle, it is good to hear Fran affirm what many of us are anticipating....

:)

I couldn't agree more. I think this upcoming season is going to be fun to watch but the season after that one is going to be realy something special.

I couldn't agree more. I think this upcoming season is going to be fun to watch but the season after that one is going to be realy something special.
Feels good to be this upbeat about the program after the horrible years a while ago, BigD.....

Good to have you around here....

:)

Didnt we lose to the fighting camels by double digits at home last year?I still think Fran is the man for the job and the team has continually improved but this was just too soon and unnecessary in my opinion.

I guess some of us are smart enough to judge fran based on his entire track record rather than just 1 home loss.

It's hard to imagine anyone being upset about a three year extension and a raise that makes his pay competitive. Iowa didn't give him an additional seven years, and it isn't like Iowa is paying him top dollar.

He is now being compensated at a competitive rate and has an additional commitment from the university.

You keep that little extra pressure on getting back to the Big Dance, it shows we are happy with the direction of the program but still not satisfied with the results. There was zero down side to waiting until the end of next season. The recruiting advantage is BS as Iowa only has 1 scholarship to give in 2013 and a contract extension will mean just as much to the 2014 recruits whether if you do it now or wait.

You keep that little extra pressure on getting back to the Big Dance, it shows we are happy with the direction of the program but still not satisfied with the results. There was zero down side to waiting until the end of next season. The recruiting advantage is BS as Iowa only has 1 scholarship to give in 2013 and a contract extension will mean just as much to the 2014 recruits whether if you do it now or wait.

So what does waiting to see what happens this year accomplish? If they don't reach the NCAA do you not extend his contract? If we don't extend after this season then the 2014 recruiting class will be negatively impacted. The 2014 class will probably decide if Iowa plateaus as a middle of the pack team, takes the next step to being able to compete at the top of the conference, or slides back to the bottom of the conference.

If the team has a great year the cost could go up so in April this may look like we got a discount.

Also Fran has $200,000 riding on Iowa making the NCAA tournament this year. So there is some of the pressure you want.

Plus, we can't have our coach getting paid less than the one who resides 138 miles to the northwest....it's so unbecoming.

So what does waiting to see what happens this year accomplish? If they don't reach the NCAA do you not extend his contract? If we don't extend after this season then the 2014 recruiting class will be negatively impacted. The 2014 class will probably decide if Iowa plateaus as a middle of the pack team, takes the next step to being able to compete at the top of the conference, or slides back to the bottom of the conference.

If the team has a great year the cost could go up so in April this may look like we got a discount.

Also Fran has $200,000 riding on Iowa making the NCAA tournament this year. So there is some of the pressure you want.

You are making to big of a deal of the impact it has to the 2014 recruiting class. Alford was on his way to having a top 25 class before he left and Lick was having his best recruiting class before he was fired. The biggest impact on the 2014 class will be what happens on the floor this year and if Iowa is still considered a team on the rise. The earliest the 2014 recruiting class can sign is November of 2013 so there is no harm for Barta to wait until the end of this season to decide if a contract extension is necessary or deserved.

I am not a big fan of rewarding contract extensions for mediocrity. I like the fact Barta put in a 200K bump for reaching the tournament but there was no rush in doing anything right now.