Former MSU guard Chris Allen to ISU

Why did Allen leave MSU? I couldn't find much on it other than him and Izzo didn't see eye to eye.

If him and White stay in Ames this is going to be an interesting team to watch...

wow. Sounds like ISU is going to be known as "Reject U."
Hoiberg is gambling with these players, but if it works he is a genious.

We would have loved to have Allen so calling him a bum probably isnt accurate. White, on the other hand, maybe. But if we were bringing in this quality of talent, a little baggage wouldnt be a big deal. ISU pulling a lot of big name transfers could=winning more games=better recruiting= FM having a hard time talking kids into playing in IC.
I think we can admit that they are having a decent run with commits and transfers so far this year.

I want Iowa to beat the 'Clones at everything, but first I want the Hawkeyes to be competitive in the conference, then worry about Iowa State.

Successful new coaches bring in talent almost immediately. I have proven this through several different means.

Hoiberg understands this and he is working with what is available. It might blow up. But if it doesn't FM better get somebody significant quick. Otherwise, FM can kiss the class of 2012 goodbye as well as his Iowa tenure.

Successful new coaches bring in talent almost immediately. I have proven this through several different means.

Hoiberg understands this and he is working with what is available. It might blow up. But if it doesn't FM better get somebody significant quick. Otherwise, FM can kiss the class of 2012 goodbye as well as his Iowa tenure.

I think the flaw in your argument it that it is unclear if the players are 5 star recruits you speak of or if in the end the player is a good/great.

Lets not get hung up on star ratings...

If Basabe and Cartwright end up being good/great players then I am not sure how that fits into your argument.

EDIT..
I am also not sure how every thread has to end up being a ******* match about FM. He has been in place less than 6 months and hasn't coached a game... Time will tell if he ends up being a good/bad/great hire

Last edited:
I didn't mean to make it a p-match. Really I am just talking about the same hypothesis, which is that successful coaching new hires are able to sign a strong recruiting class within their first two recruting cycles.

The reason I did the research to come up with this hypothesis is because Iowa had a coaching search. The fact that ISU had a search too is just incedental. Now, of all the new hires, the two that have been able to quickly upgrade their teams are Hoiberg and Barbee. That doesn't mean others won't hit the mark with their second classes.

Also, FM has the added benefit of a staggering amount of in-state talent in year three. So it might be that FM can stretch the curve to year three.

But it really isn't about ISU / Hoiberg & Iowa / FM, they just are part of the data to test the hypothesis.

It is one thing to bring in talent, but the talent is flawed.
White is what he is and Allen getting kicked off of MSU has to say something.
Why was Allen not playing at the BT tourney?
Why did Allen have to sit early for not living up to team rules?
Allen was given many chances to right himself at MSU and apparently, he didn't.
How or why would you put yourself in that position at MSU when you have a chance to go to the Final Four every year?
Now to White, he hasn't played in how long now?
What kind of shape will he be in?
After the fiasco at Minnesota, how dedicated is he really?

Say what you want about Iowa not getting these 4 or 5 star kids, but the players that did come to Iowa in Fran's first class are not flawed before they hit campus.
There is an image that Fran has to re-establish for Iowa basketball and it has started.
No negative media since he has been there, I am not counting the defections of Fuller and Cougill, that was in motion long before Fran took over.

It is one thing to bring in talent, but the talent is flawed.
White is what he is and Allen getting kicked off of MSU has to say something.
Why was Allen not playing at the BT tourney?
Why did Allen have to sit early for not living up to team rules?
Allen was given many chances to right himself at MSU and apparently, he didn't.
How or why would you put yourself in that position at MSU when you have a chance to go to the Final Four every year?
Now to White, he hasn't played in how long now?
What kind of shape will he be in?
After the fiasco at Minnesota, how dedicated is he really?

Say what you want about Iowa not getting these 4 or 5 star kids, but the players that did come to Iowa in Fran's first class are not flawed before they hit campus.
There is an image that Fran has to re-establish for Iowa basketball and it has started.
No negative media since he has been there, I am not counting the defections of Fuller and Cougill, that was in motion long before Fran took over.

What is better, high talent players with a possibility of "flaws", or nice guys who have the flaw of not being good at basketball?

What is better, high talent players with a possibility of "flaws", or nice guys who have the flaw of not being good at basketball?

That is what I was waiting for. Iowa has much more talent than given credit for.
Everyone has anoited Basabe as the next great Hawkeye, but remember they do have Payne, Gatens, May and Cole back, all were starters.
The problem is, Iowa had zero depth, they now have some depth, lets see how their talent really shows this year. Everyone might be surprised.

That is what I was waiting for. Iowa has much more talent than given credit for.
Everyone has anoited Basabe as the next great Hawkeye, but remember they do have Payne, Gatens, May and Cole back, all were starters.
The problem is, Iowa had zero depth, they now have some depth, lets see how their talent really shows this year. Everyone might be surprised.

I have said for some time that the core group of guys Iowa has is not a bad bunch they are just young, lacked depth and a reliable go to guy. I think we have a few guys who can be the #2 option on any given day. I don't look for Iowa to set the world on fire this year but i do look for this group to be a good / competative group who will play a much better brand of ball this season.

I look forward to the ISU game in CHA this year. I think Iowa has a good chance of winning that game,and putting Hoiberg in the hole right away vs Iowa.

Latest posts