Former MSU guard Chris Allen to ISU

That is what I was waiting for. Iowa has much more talent than given credit for.
Everyone has anoited Basabe as the next great Hawkeye, but remember they do have Payne, Gatens, May and Cole back, all were starters.
The problem is, Iowa had zero depth, they now have some depth, lets see how their talent really shows this year. Everyone might be surprised.

I'm not trying to make a negative comment towards Iowa here. I really am not. I have been to many a games in CHA and have many friends with strong ties still to the school.

BUT....Iowa has the least amount of talent in the Big 10 for next season.

That is what I was waiting for. Iowa has much more talent than given credit for.
Everyone has anoited Basabe as the next great Hawkeye, but remember they do have Payne, Gatens, May and Cole back, all were starters.
The problem is, Iowa had zero depth, they now have some depth, lets see how their talent really shows this year. Everyone might be surprised.

If they were playing in the MAC I would agree. But the guys you mentioned as starters should be the depth on a Big Ten team. Gatens is a great versatile and steady 6th man type. Payne would be a good sub at the point. May would be good energy coming off the bench and Cole would be a really nice sub on the front line.

If you don't agree, go through the list of teams in the top half of the Big Ten and tell me which players that any of these guys would start over. You might find one or two situations where one player might be in the competition, but that is about it. That is if you look at it objectively.

I'm not trying to make a negative comment towards Iowa here. I really am not. I have been to many a games in CHA and have many friends with strong ties still to the school.

Ditto for ISU in the B12. Actually, I think the young guys are talented but they are young.

If they were playing in the MAC I would agree. But the guys you mentioned as starters should be the depth on a Big Ten team. Gatens is a great versatile and steady 6th man type. Payne would be a good sub at the point. May would be good energy coming off the bench and Cole would be a really nice sub on the front line.

If you don't agree, go through the list of teams in the top half of the Big Ten and tell me which players that any of these guys would start over. You might find one or two situations where one player might be in the competition, but that is about it. That is if you look at it objectively.

Going the route the list of other B10 teams and players would really be pointless. For starters it's an agree to disagree proposition from the get go.

There really is no way to measure it. Player A may not displace Player X on his own team in hypothetical land, but that does not mean that he wil not be as effective on his own squad in the real world.

I think a 2nd year Payne, 4th Year Cole and 3rd year Gattens are quality B10 players that would play key roles and or start for several B10 teams. Of that group < I think Cully is vastly underrated by Hawk fans. Furthermore, I think that Eric May will be a star in the B10 before all is said and done if he stays healthy.

Last edited:
I look forward to the ISU game in CHA this year. I think Iowa has a good chance of winning that game,and putting Hoiberg in the hole right away vs Iowa.

I'll agree that Iowa could win the game this year. If Iowa wins, I highly doubt Hoiberg will be in a "hole" vs Iowa for very long.

Penn State baby brain.

My vote goes to Penn State. They are going in the wrong direction.

I also predict an Iowa win over ISU this year. It will be an epic pillow fight.

Latest posts