For those interested in the tailgate rule changes...

The rule of no drinking 1 hour after the game is going to be an interesting one to enforce. I know that our group typically waits a couple of hours to let the traffic settle down before trying to get back on Melrose. Now, they might have to end their wait while drink something else.

The vehicle checkpoints are definitely something needed. Got to keep the roads safe. Get yourself a DD if ou are drinking at the game!

It will slow things down, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put up a few barriers to funnel traffic down to more easily observable segments. A trash can and a cop at each end of a barrier would probably do it.

Sounds like and awesome use of our police force. I tell ya what, i feel safer already.

Sounds like they are also going to be setting up DUI checkpoints after the game too, at least that's how I heard it.

That should help get the traffic out of the games much more quickly. Thanks for this heads up - now, I'll buy my own portable breathlyzer to make sure I'm good to go.

Sounds like and awesome use of our police force. I tell ya what, i feel safer already.

You will be safer. Now you won't have to worry about a person who walking while drinking bumping into you on Melrose.

I just hope the cops are asking people to dispose of brews rather than actually giving tickets.

I can't believe how many people are fretting over not being able to drink beer during their 10 min walk to Kinnick. I'm not a tea toteler but shees, some of you have problems.

They might start getting a little suspicious when all of the stumbling, obnoxious fans are all carrying around root beer or Dew bottles.

I can't believe how many people are fretting over not being able to drink beer during their 10 min walk to Kinnick. I'm not a tea toteler but shees, some of you have problems.

I don't think people really care so much about not being able to drink on the sidewalk, i think it's more just how stupid and basically pointless some of these new rules are.

some of you have problems.

Yeah, I have a problem sending 80 or 90 grand a year to Uncle Sugar so that people like Maude Flanders can drop another 10,000 pages of regulations on people who aren't hurting anybody. That last beer on the walk is my "in the zone" beer and without it, my game day experience just won't be the same, but at least the children will be safe, eh Maude? Let the steady march to the police state continue - the only jobs left in this country are government jobs enforcing ridiculous regulations, might as well just roll over and let the government "create" some more jobs, I guess.

I don't think people really care so much about not being able to drink on the sidewalk, i think it's more just how stupid and basically pointless some of these new rules are.

No, the number of people injured in walking while drinking accidents on Melrose is unacceptably high. We must act now or the people walking from Finkbine, Myrtle or Woodside carrying open beers are going to hurt a lot more people.

Yeah, I have a problem sending 80 or 90 grand a year to Uncle Sugar so that people like Maude Flanders can drop another 10,000 pages of regulations on people who aren't hurting anybody. That last beer on the walk is my "in the zone" beer and without it, my game day experience just won't be the same, but at least the children will be safe, eh Maude? Let the steady march to the police state continue - the only jobs left in this country are government jobs enforcing ridiculous regulations, might as well just roll over and let the government "create" some more jobs, I guess.

you'll just have to fist pump without that beer I guess. seriously, get a grip. it's ten minutes without a beer in your hand.

you'll just have to get a little bigger flask for inside the game I guess?

I guess this answers whether the new rules will be enforced. Should start prdicting chnags for next year. Barta needs to quit being such a *****!

Iowa City Government is biting the hands that feed them. Sadly, Iowa City is becoming more and more of a police state as of late. Even more so than the drinking, if I read it right, tailgating must be shut down 2 hours after gaming events. Sure, way to kill a family event for people who like to enjoy their college football game experience tailgating and enjoying college football Saturdays outside.

Nobody will ever confuse Iowa City for being Vegas or some other big city.

If that the case, what are your feelings about the DUI checkpoints that are going to be set up?

If that the case, what are your feelings about the DUI checkpoints that are going to be set up?

As i stated previously in this thread I think they are a good idea and will help promote safety. What they should do is heavily advertise that they will be having the checkpoints.

Jebus, shake the sand out and put on your big boy undewear. Have your beer before you walk to the stadium, or put it in your pocket and pound it once you get to the stadium lots. An "in the zone" beer? How old are you, 22?

People are probably just going to start cutting across yards now while walking down Melrose. They can't cite people for open container if they aren't on city land.

Also, what if you tailgate on Melrose in somebody's yard and your tailgate spills out onto the sidewalk? Can they cite you or make you pour the beer out if you're just standing on the sidewalk?

Latest posts