For those interested in the tailgate rule changes...

Hawkfromnorwalk

It looks like the U is holding a press conference at 10:30 to discuss the changes to the tailgate rules for the upcoming 2010 season. Looks like Barta will be the ringleader for the show along with the head of public saftey and student services. It will be broadcast live on KCJJ for those who have access to streaming audio over the web.

Recap:
Looking for underage drinkers on University Lots
No open containers on Melrose or the sidewalks along it
Don't be an idiot.

Nothing new at all, this is all way overblown. The biggest change for most of us is we can no longer drink a beer as we walk to the game or while we go from one tailgate to another.

Recap:
Don't be an idiot.

Nothing new at all, this is all way overblown. The biggest change for most of us is we can no longer drink a beer as we walk to the game or while we go from one tailgate to another.

Good luck with this one.

Good luck with this one.

This will be very tough to enforce, I can't think of the street that intersects Melrose on the west side of the stadium but there are thousands of young people in the street to the point you can't even see the street. If they started writing open container tickets you could have a problem, most likely not, but you take that many younger drinkers in a group that size and agitate them there can be a problem, ie upside down cars and such. It has happened before, plenty of times.

Sounds like they are also going to be setting up DUI checkpoints after the game too, at least that's how I heard it. I don't have a problem with it since my wife drives after the game but people need to be aware of it. They also made mention of liquor too. I'm hoping they still employ the "out of sight, out of mind" policy when dealing with that in the lots. I can't tailgate without a bloody mary in the morning!

Also, I wonder if that store that sells the tallboys after the game on Melrose will not do it anymore. If you can't walk down the street with it there is probably no point of selling them. Otherwise they are going to have hundreds of people huddled on their property finishing off their beers.

I don't think it's that difficult keep a beer out of your hand while you are walking down a sidewalk or street. Just finish it before you start on your journey. This is what I have been doing for years anyway so this change doesn't bother me a bit.

And it's not like they need to enforce the rule with every single person. They start doing it to enough people and the message will get out. Kind of like when the new seat belt law came into effect years ago. At first there was a huge outcry and people were screaming they would never wear it. And now, pretty much everyone seems to wear them.

Cops are gonna be out in full force. (not that they weren't in past years anyway) I'm always walking around with a beer in hand... I'm sure they'll just make us pour it out if they catch us... I'm glad they will be cracking down on the knuckleheads. 2 years ago I was walking through a swarm of people from Kinnick to downtown and some random dude punched me in the gut as he walked by me. It hurt....my ego.

Sounds like they are also going to be setting up DUI checkpoints after the game too, at least that's how I heard it. I don't have a problem with it since my wife drives after the game but people need to be aware of it. They also made mention of liquor too. I'm hoping they still employ the "out of sight, out of mind" policy when dealing with that in the lots. I can't tailgate without a bloody mary in the morning!

Also, I wonder if that store that sells the tallboys after the game on Melrose will not do it anymore. If you can't walk down the street with it there is probably no point of selling them. Otherwise they are going to have hundreds of people huddled on their property finishing off their beers.

Good, at least they are doing 1 thing that will actually help keep people safe.

That store is under new ownership.

It actually wont be that difficult. An officer or two on each side of the street at a few key places will be enough to make folks dump out thier beer or ticket those that refuse.

It actually wont be that difficult. An officer or two on each side of the street at a few key places will be enough to make folks dump out thier beer or ticket those that refuse.

It will slow things down, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put up a few barriers to funnel traffic down to more easily observable segments. A trash can and a cop at each end of a barrier would probably do it.

Recap:
Don't be an idiot.

Agreed. I remember walking back to the car after the Purdue game in '06 with a couple of cold ones in hand. I can't say that not being able to do that from now on is going to be a deal breaker.

The walk to the game isn't really a problem either, beings that as soon as you are in the universtiy lot next to Kinnick stadium you are able to drink again. Lock your car, stick a full beer or two in your pocket, walk to the game, throw back a few in the lot before you get into the game.

The walk to the game isn't really a problem either, beings that as soon as you are in the universtiy lot next to Kinnick stadium you are able to drink again. Lock your car, stick a full beer or two in your pocket, walk to the game, throw back a few in the lot before you get into the game.

This^^

Or pour a beer into an A&W plastic bottle of root beer. Since it's brown they can't see what's inside of it.

Latest posts