For the Vandenberg Bashers

Vandy just needs to settle down a little and he / we should be fine. When he is on, he is no doubt the best QB in the league. Our problem as a team was inconstency on all levels.

In fairness to Vandenberg, Peyton Manning would look pedestrian in this offense. Putting QB's in obvious passing downs so the D can pin their ears back and blitz is a recipe for disaster. Nice that KOK called one screen the whole freaking game and we happened to score on it.

With that being said, Vandenberg is extremely below average at recognizing blitzes and has poor pocket presence. He missed at least 2 TD throws last night because he thinks pressure is coming that isn't.

Jon, while I agree with the premise of your post, putting up big yards against awful teams does not mean much. Ferentz always says "yards don't equal points" when defending the bend but but don't break D. I would offer that yards do not equal wins. Give me a QB that shows up in big games and doesn't look overwhelmed vs. a guy who makes busted coverage throws against bad teams at home.

Does anyone find it ironic that Iowa nabs a juco qb the day after the bowl game? things that make you go hmmmm.

i doubt the loss hasd a thing to do with the coaches getting Sokol they were looking at him as well as a HS kid as we need depth and do not need two freshmen QB recruits
a juco give us instant quality "DEPTH"

In fairness to Vandenberg, Peyton Manning would look pedestrian in this offense. Putting QB's in obvious passing downs so the D can pin their ears back and blitz is a recipe for disaster. Nice that KOK called one screen the whole freaking game and we happened to score on it.

With that being said, Vandenberg is extremely below average at recognizing blitzes and has poor pocket presence. He missed at least 2 TD throws last night because he thinks pressure is coming that isn't.

Jon, while I agree with the premise of your post, putting up big yards against awful teams does not mean much. Ferentz always says "yards don't equal points" when defending the bend but but don't break D. I would offer that yards do not equal wins. Give me a QB that shows up in big games and doesn't look overwhelmed vs. a guy who makes busted coverage throws against bad teams at home.

Totally agree HawkIhoops! He was too nervous that entire first Q. Like a fish out of water and I think WE all forget this is his first year starting the key will be will he improve. I think the lack of QB coaching will be the biggest factor in his development through next year. He's got skills can KOK get him to where he should and could be. I am doubtful in KOK's abilities....just ask Jake Christensen's Dad about that.

Vandenberg got more robotic as the season progressed. The first of the OU game he looked like somebody was telling him 1, 2, 3, throw regardless of what was taking place on the field. I feel for any QB that has to play in the KOK circus.

This is why I came up with the new affliction Vangina. Attacks of Vangina are often brought on by severe stress. People often overreact and perceive Vangina to actually be something more serious and terminal. However, if one learns the signs and takes the appropriate precautions, he or she will find the symptoms will eventually subside. But here's the rub, Vangina is a chronic condition. You can't get rid of it, you can only hope to manage it.

I'm no doctor but I heated that a shot of peniscillin will cure this.

I think JVB needs to reflect on whether he really wishes to be a D1 football player.

The camera shot where he was head in hands on the bench late in the 4th Q didn't look like someone with a potentially dangerous brain injury, such as a concussion. If he got one, it's minor. I've had a concussion. I saw spots, got way disoriented, and walked aimlessly, had trouble forming coherent expressions, etc. I have also witnessed others with concussions. I have NEVER seen anyone with a concussion pout. It doesn't occur to one to sulk, pout, cry, etc. You're in shock. But I have seen that kind of sulking.

When my sons were much younger and sat like that, in their bedrooms, head in hands, they were bemoaning the terrible unfairness of it all and were sulking like babies. I think JVB is a wimp, but I don't blame him for it. I think he has an empty sack. I also think he has rather an inflated opinion of himself, one that likely has been much worse the past few years as everyone has been telling him he's the New Chuck. So let's look at that. Take his chosen number. Nobody made him choose that. It was purely his choice, contingent upon availability. But at Iowa, in the present, choosing that jersey number makes a very particular statement about how you view yourself and your role on/for the team, and I am not certain it's all that positive. He compared himself to other people that have worn that number, and I think that was unwise. It isn't fair to himself. He also isn't a microscopic figment of an *** pimple on the guy that really filled Iowa jersey #16. Just the way it is.

I think about 1/2 of JVB in the 4th Q really thought he could beat OU with his magic touch and golden spiral. The other half was cognizant of what he was facing, even if OU isn't this year the nasty they usually are. I think his lack of pocket presence is deeper. His happy feet and bizarre passes might indicate a certain conflict or tension in himself. People have built him up for years, but the plays he is producing on the gridiron don't reflect the constructed plot, of Iowa #16 tossing miraculous touchdown passes, of the videos he's seen of that awesome image, as he heard those mighty tales at Grandpa's knee. He looks like a kid that believed all the hype and ******** about himself, and yet now it's real work. Now, the other team is also trying to win. They don't just lay down and die like all those HS teams. He probably was a special HS QB, back in those halcyon days of general athletic parity, when really special players stand out like supernovae. This is much harder. There are players even better than him on the field, and instead of relying on HIS TEAM to improvise, adapt, and overcome he chokes. Not all the time. But he chokes far too frequently to be a Great One.

He can wear Iowa jersey #16. But he cannot fill it. And the more I see him play, the more I recognize that he KNOWS it.

Just my two cents.

:eek:

Maybe.

It's just my hypothesis. I think JVB is the one who will test it, however, so it's basically on him to sack up, as my kids tell one another. So I could be way wrong.

You got a better hypothesis? Many guys above have praised his mechanics. OK, cool. Then the issues are very likely emotional.

Remember how Drew Tate threw himself around like a wrecking ball? Often stupid, yes, but nobody ever had any doubt whether Drew Tate had the situational awareness to play QB. He didn't mind getting hit.

JVB acts like he's deathly afraid of being hit. Sort of a liability in a football player, don't you think?

Thanks Darth or Chuck Long for giving your opinion. I think you took a pretty big leap on some of those accusations unless you know the kid or have practiced with him.

Last edited:
Really just opinions.

Opinions informed by playing football, basketball, and track/field through HS, and then raising two boys (sometimes with difficulty) who played football and ran track through HS. And from decades of teamwork in college, jobs and career, etc.

If JVB played the whole game with a concussion, THEN I'd believe the concussion thing. That would make some things fall into place. Then throwing to dudes in triple coverage while ignoring wide open receivers would make a certain amount of sense.

For a JR player in his 3rd or 4th year in The University of Iowa college football program, he looks damned timid.

I offered a hypothesis to begin EXPLAINING the issues we all see with the kid. That's all. I have no problem being wrong. There's nothing WRONG with being wrong. You learn from it.

I think JVB needs to reflect on whether he really wishes to be a D1 football player.

The camera shot where he was head in hands on the bench late in the 4th Q didn't look like someone with a potentially dangerous brain injury, such as a concussion. If he got one, it's minor. I've had a concussion. I saw spots, got way disoriented, and walked aimlessly, had trouble forming coherent expressions, etc. I have also witnessed others with concussions. I have NEVER seen anyone with a concussion pout. It doesn't occur to one to sulk, pout, cry, etc. You're in shock. But I have seen that kind of sulking.

When my sons were much younger and sat like that, in their bedrooms, head in hands, they were bemoaning the terrible unfairness of it all and were sulking like babies. I think JVB is a wimp, but I don't blame him for it. I think he has an empty sack. I also think he has rather an inflated opinion of himself, one that likely has been much worse the past few years as everyone has been telling him he's the New Chuck. So let's look at that. Take his chosen number. Nobody made him choose that. It was purely his choice, contingent upon availability. But at Iowa, in the present, choosing that jersey number makes a very particular statement about how you view yourself and your role on/for the team, and I am not certain it's all that positive. He compared himself to other people that have worn that number, and I think that was unwise. It isn't fair to himself. He also isn't a microscopic figment of an *** pimple on the guy that really filled Iowa jersey #16. Just the way it is.

I think about 1/2 of JVB in the 4th Q really thought he could beat OU with his magic touch and golden spiral. The other half was cognizant of what he was facing, even if OU isn't this year the nasty they usually are. I think his lack of pocket presence is deeper. His happy feet and bizarre passes might indicate a certain conflict or tension in himself. People have built him up for years, but the plays he is producing on the gridiron don't reflect the constructed plot, of Iowa #16 tossing miraculous touchdown passes, of the videos he's seen of that awesome image, as he heard those mighty tales at Grandpa's knee. He looks like a kid that believed all the hype and ******** about himself, and yet now it's real work. Now, the other team is also trying to win. They don't just lay down and die like all those HS teams. He probably was a special HS QB, back in those halcyon days of general athletic parity, when really special players stand out like supernovae. This is much harder. There are players even better than him on the field, and instead of relying on HIS TEAM to improvise, adapt, and overcome he chokes. Not all the time. But he chokes far too frequently to be a Great One.

He can wear Iowa jersey #16. But he cannot fill it. And the more I see him play, the more I recognize that he KNOWS it.

Just my two cents.

:eek:

wow, that's some truly epic ******** right there.

Really just opinions.

Opinions informed by playing football, basketball, and track/field through HS, and then raising two boys (sometimes with difficulty) who played football and ran track through HS. And from decades of teamwork in college, jobs and career, etc.

If JVB played the whole game with a concussion, THEN I'd believe the concussion thing. That would make some things fall into place. Then throwing to dudes in triple coverage while ignoring wide open receivers would make a certain amount of sense.

For a JR player in his 3rd or 4th year in The University of Iowa college football program, he looks damned timid.

I offered a hypothesis to begin EXPLAINING the issues we all see with the kid. That's all. I have no problem being wrong. There's nothing WRONG with being wrong. You learn from it.

there can be something wrong with being wrong. see Stalin, Josef. you are just so full of crap with all that you've written. I think it crosses the line of ripping on players.

Wow, that last big bash on jvb was a real dump on a young guy who is trying to be a great hawk. Jvb has improving to do at accuracy leading crossing receivers, seeing some receivers open up, but he played pretty well this year.

Calling him a wimp, that is really harsh and not a D1 player, he has already proved he is a D1 player. Wild.

Latest posts