Food Thread

We need one of these to exchange ideas and to brag.

I don't remember who it was that made Mississippi Pot Roast last weekend but it got me curious and I found this recipe for my crock pot online. OMG, it was AMAZING....the juice that comes off the meat makes a very tasty gravy that went well with the potatoes I cooked with it.

This was the recipe I used: https://belleofthekitchen.com/mississippi-pot-roast/
I do something similar, but with powdered Italian seasoning - Italian beef. I also add onions and jalepenos to it. Serve on toasted bun with provolone, it's amazing and super simple. I'm not a huge fan of ranch so for me, this is a good alternative.

@okeefe4prez You ever smoked any salmon or trout in the PBC?

I've got 10 rainbow trout fillets from this past ice fishing season that I want to make a smoked pate out of. If it turns out good I'm going to hit the trout harder next season.

Just bought me a brisket at Thoma's meat market in IC. Heard a lot of good things about them. Excited to smoke this bad boy tomorrow!

I’m not okeefe, but I’ve smoked salmon. Brined in brown sugar/salt, smoked as low as I could for a couple hours. Turned out great. You could also just cure for a couple hours, maybe with some dill. All times are, of course, dependent on the size of the fish.

Like Ree, I think Sunday will be a brisket day for me. Gonna experiment with hot and fast (275 ish) so I don’t need to go overnight and get up too early.

I’m not okeefe, but I’ve smoked salmon. Brined in brown sugar/salt, smoked as low as I could for a couple hours. Turned out great. You could also just cure for a couple hours, maybe with some dill. All times are, of course, dependent on the size of the fish.

Like Ree, I think Sunday will be a brisket day for me. Gonna experiment with hot and fast (275 ish) so I don’t need to go overnight and get up too early.
Yeah that's always the prob with brisket, this time I think I'm gonna go 180 overnight and hope it's around 165 when I get up. Probably try the boat method this time instead of wrapping. Fun stuff!

@okeefe4prez You ever smoked any salmon or trout in the PBC?

I've got 10 rainbow trout fillets from this past ice fishing season that I want to make a smoked pate out of. If it turns out good I'm going to hit the trout harder next season.

Nope. It runs waaaay too hot to properly smoke fish. Smoking fish is quite an art. Do you have a Weber kettle? If you do, maybe try that. I think if you kept the heat source off to one side and the fish on the other you could keep the temp down and really work some magic.

You technically should cold smoke trout, but I think you could get something close with that kettle. Can you get alderwood up there? IMHO, alderwood is the only wood to use for salmon and trout, but I can't get it around here. That is what they use up in the northwest and it just has the perfect taste for fish.

Nope. It runs waaaay too hot to properly smoke fish. Smoking fish is quite an art. Do you have a Weber kettle? If you do, maybe try that. I think if you kept the heat source off to one side and the fish on the other you could keep the temp down and really work some magic.

You technically should cold smoke trout, but I think you could get something close with that kettle. Can you get alderwood up there? IMHO, alderwood is the only wood to use for salmon and trout, but I can't get it around here. That is what they use up in the northwest and it just has the perfect taste for fish.
I’ve got alderwood, I actually did some sausage with the vent closed down and two of the rebar holes closed off with foil. Only used a few briquettes (just enough to keep the wood smoking) and it kept it right around 200 at the top. Had the barrel in the shade.

I got the wood on Amazon, Cameron’s brand and it came in a nice stout box.

I’ve got alderwood, I actually did some sausage with the vent closed down and two of the rebar holes closed off with foil. Only used a few briquettes (just enough to keep the wood smoking) and it kept it right around 200 at the top. Had the barrel in the shade.

I got the wood on Amazon, Cameron’s brand and it came in a nice stout box.

Yeah, that'll work. Probably need to try to tone it down even from 200.

Side note since we were talking about food equipment...

I've had a generic, no name vacuum sealer for years and packed thousands of fish with it. After last season it quit working, and I've been eyballing a popular model Foodsaver that a lot of my buddies use. It's about $200 on Amazon without the food attachment.

Anywhoo...in my town we have a thrift store that's like Goodwill only run by a local charity. I cruise through there about once a week because it's a great way to pick up inexpensive cooking items. Usually what happens is someone in their 80s dies and has a kitchen full of good stuff from the 50s and 60s back when shit was heavy duty and built to last. I've gotten tons on cast iron from Wagner and Griswold for literally pennies, old Anchor and Pyrex baking dishes, you name it.

I was cruising through there this weekend and see what looks a hell of a lot like the Foodsaver I want on the end of the shelf. Checked out and sure enough it was the exact model number and had the wet food attachment, the manual, and all the paperwork taped to it. Price tag said "$8, NOT TESTED." Took it up to the counter and it was 50% off in the whole store so I got out of there for $4, totally sure the thing wouldn't work. Plugged it in, and she worked like a champ. Vac'd and sealed about five bags and I'm pretty sure it's good to go.

I'm guessing someone's mom or dad died and their kids put everything in boxes and took it down there. Thank you to whoever it was.

Foodsaver with a bonus Ghost......................No Fuckin' thanks!

@okeefe4prez Did you see Pit Barrel just came out with a Papa Bear sized barrel? Calling it the PBX.

190807470_10208985657634277_3754041367444879657_n_720x.jpg

Looks like it's the same height but 22.5" diameter instead of 18". Basically 3 rebars wide. They're marketing it to the catering/restaurant crowd but I'm guessing there will be a lot of people who buy it just because it's huge.

Last year for my 40th I did 6 racks of ribs on one bar, and on the other one I had 4 chicken halves and a tri-tip. I can't imagine having double the space (three bars plus they're 4.5" longer). It'd be a waste of charcoal more than anything.

@okeefe4prez Did you see Pit Barrel just came out with a Papa Bear sized barrel? Calling it the PBX.

190807470_10208985657634277_3754041367444879657_n_720x.jpg

Looks like it's the same height but 22.5" diameter instead of 18". Basically 3 rebars wide. They're marketing it to the catering/restaurant crowd but I'm guessing there will be a lot of people who buy it just because it's huge.

Last year for my 40th I did 6 racks of ribs on one bar, and on the other one I had 4 chicken halves and a tri-tip. I can't imagine having double the space (three bars plus they're 4.5" longer). It'd be a waste of charcoal more than anything.
I saw that. I can't imagine it would have a viable commercial use other than a casual weekend catering business. If you're really trying to be in the barbecue game, that is simply not a suitable device.

Breakfast for supper tonight for the kid and I.

Ham and cheese omelettes with tomatoes and avocado, hashbrowns, sausage, and bacon. Didn’t eat lunch so I was hungry. Got leftovers for tomorrow.

40F3B051-24F8-4464-AA6A-0B9910EE4B29.jpeg