First Coaches Poll of 2010 Released

Ask the 2004 Auburn team how important they are.

Or 2009 Boise State. Preseason rankings are important, this isn't basketball where there is a tournament at the end of the season. Only two teams get to play for the title and if two teams ahead of you in the preseason polls go undefeated, well you're probably going to be left out.

2009 Oklahoma says preseason rankings are awesome as does 2008 Clemson

What is your point? They started high and fell, so what, it is teams that start low in these that can get screwed because they may be the odd man out, ie. Auburn 2004, that is why these are important and like others have said rankings shouldn't start until the first of October after 4 games have been played.

So where do you think Iowa should be ranked right now?

Realistically I think we should be 6th or 7th, but I would love to be number one. I want us to be ranked as high as possible, it makes no sense for me to want us to be ranked lower. We won the Orange Bowl last year, we have maybe the best defensive player in all of college football, whether we're ranked 2nd or 20th, we're not going to be sneaking up on people this year.

The point is when you are a BCS Bowl winner and you return the majority of yur starters, you should want the highest ranking possible in order to have a chance at the next level (BCS Cahmpionship). With a top 5 ranking, you could lose a close game early in the season and still have a shot at the National Title, the lower you are ranked the harder it becomes.

What is your point? They started high and fell, so what, it is teams that start low in these that can get screwed because they may be the odd man out, ie. Auburn 2004, that is why these are important and like others have said rankings shouldn't start until the first of October after 4 games have been played.

I'm saying (because as usually Scotty, your reading skills fail on this site) that I have no problem with a low preseason ranking because preseason rankings don't mean ****.

it was always fun to not be ranked, win a couple games, start getting votes, win another game, be ranked in the 20's and just keep creeping up. but i think i like the whole 10 ranking more.

take care of business week in and week out and we should be playing in arizona in january

At #10 and as a member of the Big Ten the Hawkeyes chances for a National Championship aren't hurting as long as they win. What Hawk fans should really be worried about is that Ohio State game on Nov. 20th because that game will probably decide if 1 of those 2 is in the NC. Remember that if TCU or Boise State finish in the top 8 and don't go to the NC the Rose Bowl has to pick 1 of them to fill its at large spot.

I'm saying (because as usually Scotty, your reading skills fail on this site) that I have no problem with a low preseason ranking because preseason rankings don't mean ****.

Yeah they do...Its called the BCS. If Boise St. was ranked 12 or lower, they would not have a shot at the Championship. At 5 they do.

But they do in football. People have showed you examples of this, but you obviously don't get it. Only two teams have a shot at the title at the end of the year, so if you want to win a title you have to be ranked in the top two. It's a hell of a lot harder to do this when you start out barely ranked than if you start in the top ten.

They SHOULDN'T mean ****, but the fact is they DO mean **** in college football.

It's just the way it is.

Yeah they do...Its called the BCS. If Boise St. was ranked 12 or lower, they would not have a shot at the Championship. At 5 they do.

And if Boise State goes undefeated and shows that on the field they are worthy, they'll play for a national title. (Even if they were #12 to start the season what's to say the 12 teams ahead of them wouldn't lose and drop below them later on???)

But they do in football. People have showed you examples of this, but you obviously don't get it. Only two teams have a shot at the title at the end of the year, so if you want to win a title you have to be ranked in the top two. It's a hell of a lot harder to do this when you start out barely ranked than if you start in the top ten.

It's harder but not impossible.

Latest posts