First Coaches Poll of 2010 Released

Texas - yes.
Nebraska - 13-15 range would be about accurate.
OU was 7-5 in a down B12 last year. They don't even deserve to be ranked in the top 25 IMO.

They also lost the the #1 pick in the draft in the first game of the season, and lost Jermaine Gresham before the year even started. Hell, if I rememeber right, DeMarco Murray didn't play last year either. Once he got his **** straight, Landy Jones was a beast.

They also lost the the #1 pick in the draft in the first game of the season, and lost Jermaine Gresham before the year even started. Hell, if I rememeber right, DeMarco Murray didn't play last year either. Once he got his **** straight, Landy Jones was a beast.

Jones was up and down all year. It wasn't like he struggled right away and then was great. He put up huge numbers against bad teams, and was average to bad against good teams.

They are just educated guesses. They saw what you did last year, what you COULD do this year. How many players you lose, how you reload or whatever. Trust me you want to start as high as possible in pre season poles. You can even lose to good teams buy a small margin and not be effected to badly. Point in fact I think we either went up a ranking or down a ranking after the loss to texas. Kinda a moot point for this arguement but its best to be as high as possible no matter how far fetched it is in order to make that NC run. Which is what were really talking about here. If all you want is the rose bowl you just need to beat the Big 10. But the NC you need to look at it differently. You guys are in a really good position to challange for the NC. Friggin enjoy it.

Jesus Christ....I can't believe I just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading this insane arguement. The Hawks are ranked 10th...enjoy it! If...IF, we go 12-0 we will either play in the BCS Title game, or we'll play in the Rose Bowl. Sitting here 29 days before the first snap of the 2010 season, I would love either of those two outcomes, but let's not put the cart before the horse. We saw last year how fragile a thing an unbeaten season can be. A lot will have to go right, and very little can go wrong for us to be sitting crowing about a 12-0 season here in December.

"And if Boise State goes undefeated and shows that on the field they are worthy, they'll play for a national title. (Even if they were #12 to start the season what's to say the 12 teams ahead of them wouldn't lose and drop below them later on???) "

Look at Boise's schedule last year. One decent game until they played TCU. Cal-Davis, Lousianna Tech, NM State,Utah State.. This year their schedule isn't much better. Even if they go undefeated their "worthyness will be questioned"

"And if Boise State goes undefeated and shows that on the field they are worthy, they'll play for a national title. (Even if they were #12 to start the season what's to say the 12 teams ahead of them wouldn't lose and drop below them later on???) "

Look at Boise's schedule last year. One decent game until they played TCU. Cal-Davis, Lousianna Tech, NM State,Utah State.. This year their schedule isn't much better. Even if they go undefeated their "worthyness will be questioned"

I hate Boise State. It's easy to get up for 1 game and play one flawless game a year. When you play in the big boy conferences you have to bring your A game every week.

even iowa only made it to what? 4th in the polls last year? we were 9-0...why weren't we #1? oh wait...because we "weren't that good"

The only time when these pre-season polls have some effect is with a team like Boise State. They have 2 good games on their schedule. The rest of their schedule is worthless.
For the rest of the NCAA div 1 teams that play most of their games against contenders, pre-season polls mean nothing. Real conferences are competitive. The odds are that OSU will win the B10, but it won't be decided until Oct at the earliest. You can crown the WAC champion today.

The only time when these pre-season polls have some effect is with a team like Boise State. They have 2 good games on their schedule. The rest of their schedule is worthless.
For the rest of the NCAA div 1 teams that play most of their games against contenders, pre-season polls mean nothing. Real conferences are competitive. The odds are that OSU will win the B10, but it won't be decided until Oct at the earliest. You can crown the WAC champion today.
Even that isn't true. Say, for example, Alabama, tOSU, and Oklahoma all go undefeated. All 3 are going to play similar schedules so the chance of one leap-frogging another is mighty slim.

They are just educated guesses. They saw what you did last year, what you COULD do this year. How many players you lose, how you reload or whatever. Trust me you want to start as high as possible in pre season poles. You can even lose to good teams buy a small margin and not be effected to badly. Point in fact I think we either went up a ranking or down a ranking after the loss to texas. Kinda a moot point for this arguement but its best to be as high as possible no matter how far fetched it is in order to make that NC run. Which is what were really talking about here. If all you want is the rose bowl you just need to beat the Big 10. But the NC you need to look at it differently. You guys are in a really good position to challange for the NC. Friggin enjoy it.

This.

"Even that isn't true. Say, for example, Alabama, tOSU, and Oklahoma all go undefeated. All 3 are going to play similar schedules so the chance of one leap-frogging another is mighty slim. "
The point is that BSU plays a whimpy schedule and that is why they go undefeated. So that is where the pre-season poll makes a difference. If they get through Sept undefeated they have almost no chance of losing. You can't say that about the 3 teams you mentioned.
To try to compare Boise to Alabama, OSU, or Oklahoma is a stretch. Alabama,OSU and Oklahoma all play in very competitive conferences. Its tough for these teams every week.

Incorrect.

In 2003, I think we started out ranked somewhere around in the 20's (23 or so).
In 2004, I believe we were somewhere near the Top Ten preseason. After a bad loss @ASU, and another loss @Michigan, we were unranked, only to win our final 8 games in a row.

You may be correct to say that in 2003, everyone thought we were a flash in the pan since we weren't ranked real high, but we were ranked. Different story in 2004. We started the season ranked fairly high, and finished the season high, so technically, we DID live up to the hype in '04.

I was wrong, went back and checked the preseason polls on ESPN. We were unranked to start 2003, and started at #19 in 2004.

I think Mich St should be a team to watch who flying completely under the radar

The problem is that that is their prognosis every year. They have a tendency to underachieve, regardless of the talent level of their players (Charles Rogers, Drew Stanton, Javon Ringer, Greg Jones, Kirk Cousins come to mind).

Latest posts