Ferentz Won't Confirm/Deny KOK Indiana Talk

1. I don't think KOK leaving really changes anything. I'd like to see us open things up a little bit in certain situations, but firing KOK (or him leaving) isn't going to accomplish that.

2. I'm surprised he's interested in the job (if true). He's got total job security where he's at now.

1. Kirk doesn't sound overly impressed with KOK looking around.

2. If KOK leaves, we could very well end up with two new coordinators.

2. I'm surprised he's interested in the job (if true). He's got total job security where he's at now.

Agreed, but all coaches have egos, they want to be bigger and better and hope for their big break. I am guessing he would make more money at Indiana as a head coach than as a Off Coord. Not to many people are satisfied being second in command. Look at Dan Mac. He left a job at Florida for North Texas. Now, which one had more job security? and Indy is a step above the Mean Green.

1. I don't think KOK leaving really changes anything. I'd like to see us open things up a little bit in certain situations, but firing KOK (or him leaving) isn't going to accomplish that.

He is 55 years old at this point he might as well ride it out.

Agreed, but all coaches have egos, they want to be bigger and better and hope for their big break. I am guessing he would make more money at Indiana as a head coach than as a Off Coord. Not to many people are satisfied being second in command. Look at Dan Mac. He left a job at Florida for North Texas. Now, which one had more job security? and Indy is a step above the Mean Green.

So if your Indiana how do you sell that?

The guy has been here for 12 years and this is the first time that he is linked to another job?

Either he has been really quiet about it in the past, or he's had it in Iowa City.

Denial would be preferable. Ferentz rode it out 10 years with KOK, and he might leave for an in-conference doormat? Makes no sense, but not much has made sense this year. Makes no sense from IU's perspective, too.

Last edited:
I know the Indiana job isnt good but is it really this bad? How could they possibly hire O Keefe and sell that to the fan base?

Anyone know who else is being considered?

This whole situation does seem odd although I suspect KOK would make a better head coach than many of us realize or want to ackowledge. Maybe Kirk actually realizes that he needs new blood on his staff and has encouraged KOK to shop himself around a bit. He won't fire him nor make his thoughts public and granted it doesn't seem his nature to make changes but maybe he will surprise us. It looks very likely that he will have to name a new defensive coordinator so some change seems in the works no matter what.

I'm Kirk's age and you do get set in your ways at this point in life. But you also have the wisdom to recognize when you need to change course. We'll see how it plays out but some kind of re-evaluation of things seems in order at this point.

This is probably more out of deference to Indiana and their search than anything else. Let's not start looking for something that isn't there.

Lots of reasons to leave...I assume taking a head coaching gig at Indiana likely means $3 million. Not a year, but perhaps a 4 year contract for at least that total. Assuming he doesn't break any NCAA rules, that means $3 million minimum even if he gets fired in year 2 or 3. It'd take O'Keefe what, almost 10 years, to make that as OC, assuming Ferentz sticks around that long.

Also, maybe he's tired of the vanilla offense he's forced to run and wants to go back to being a head coach with an innovative system.

And for all the Hawk fans chirping about helping him pack, how would you feel if he took two or three assistants with him? What if Eric Campbell went as offensive coordinator and assistant HC, and Rich Kaczenski left to be O'Keefe's defensive coordinator?

If O'Keefe leaves, it's likely he won't be the only one.

Latest posts