Ferentz Won't Confirm/Deny KOK Indiana Talk

Don't get your hopes up. The last time IU had a coaching vacancy and the Iowa fans wanted IU to hire our scraps, the scum ended up staying for a few more years just to bring us to our knees and then bolt for New Mexico.....

I'm not sure it would matter if he left. Conservative is the name of the game at Iowa.

One must remember, our HC started McCann over Banks for an entire season and JC or Stanzi for 3 games in 2008 including a loss to Pitt in which Stanzi was clearly better.

Lets Say KOK takes a job. If Kirk doesn't change the O his seat could get a little warmer if Iowa doesn't have success. For the first time there is a little something going on behind the scenes. Kirk made the comment about the Offense and KOK job hunting. It's not much but I think there is some for sure frustrations.

I'm not sure it would matter if he left. Conservative is the name of the game at Iowa.

One must remember, our HC started McCann over Banks for an entire season and JC or Stanzi for 3 games in 2008 including a loss to Pitt in which Stanzi was clearly better.

To be fair, given the two's performances against ISU, JC should have started against Pitt. We stuck with him for too long, but he should have started that game.

It's a matter of record that KF wanted to stick with JC and KOK had to beg him to switch to Ricky. If people were honest with themselves they would start to admit the genesis of the problems on offense.

The US Gov't could've fired the V.P. of General Motors and declared that the company had fixed the problem. But taxpayers understand where the buck stops . . . where it has always stopped.

Scapegoating people is scummy behavior.

The entire team should get credit for wins and losses. In a sport with a dozen coaches and 24 starters it is really stupid to give one person the blame or credit. But if one person is gonna get the credit and the 4mil$ pot of gold. Then that same person should get the credit for more than just the good times.

To be fair, given the two's performances against ISU, JC should have started against Pitt. We stuck with him for too long, but he should have started that game.

Ummmmmmm.....Jake's "performance" against ISU amounted to handing the ball off to Shonn Greene.

I will admit, he did do that very well.

True, he did a lot of handing off. But he went 4/5 for 27 yards, while Stanzi went 5/14 with 2 INT's. Not much there that screams that Stanzi should have started against Pitt.

Are you really debating a decision about QB's from one game three years ago? Also, KF will never confirm or deny job rumors, not matter who they are about.

IF...this were to happen it would certainly clarify one lingering question. Is it O'Keefe? or is it how KFz controls him?
The more I look at his performance "pre Iowa", the more I consider what some have suggested. KOK can generate offense when he has the handcuffs removed. It may be KFz that is the problem.
Would be interesting to finally find out.

IF...this were to happen it would certainly clarify one lingering question. Is it O'Keefe? or is it how KFz controls him?
The more I look at his performance "pre Iowa", the more I consider what some have suggested. KOK can generate offense when he has the handcuffs removed. It may be KFz that is the problem.
Would be interesting to finally find out.

I think it is fine that KF holds KOK to KF's style. However, what irks me is that you can still be productive with your play calling. End arounds and just the way the game is called is a bit of an issue. I would like to see that change, however, not sure who KF could convince to be his coordinator next.

It's a matter of record that KF wanted to stick with JC and KOK had to beg him to switch to Ricky. If people were honest with themselves they would start to admit the genesis of the problems on offense.

The US Gov't could've fired the V.P. of General Motors and declared that the company had fixed the problem. But taxpayers understand where the buck stops . . . where it has always stopped.

Scapegoating people is scummy behavior.

The entire team should get credit for wins and losses. In a sport with a dozen coaches and 24 starters it is really stupid to give one person the blame or credit. But if one person is gonna get the credit and the 4mil$ pot of gold. Then that same person should get the credit for more than just the good times.

This. I remember reading an article at the tavern where Jake's dad said that KF wanted his son to start, but KOK was lobbying for Stanzi.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that KOK is not the problem with the offense.

So does this mean the offense is going to go struggle since KOK might have his mind on other things instead of the bowl game? Oh wait...nevermind, an average of 17 points a game the last 4 games against 3 of the 4 worst D's in the Big Ten speaks for itself I guess.

I remember Donny Patterson being constantly criticized as Hayden's OC and then taking some D1AA job in Illinois and having the number one scoring offense in the nation. I would be interested to see what he could do with his own team.

Why would he leave Iowa?

1). He wants to be a head coach at a Div 1 University.
2). He wants to make a little more nest egg before retirement.
3). He's ready for a new challenge.

I suspect that he wants to leave for many of the same reasons that many of us choose to leave our jobs from time to time. It makes a lot of sense if you look at it from his perspective. He's close to retirement age. He could view this as the last stop before retirement and make significantly more money before retiring. When you look at it from KOK's perspective, I ask why wouldn't he want to leave? Like another poster said, 750K per year for four years is a guaranteed 3 million - that's the minimum he could make - which is significantly more than he's making now! Money isn't everything but if you view it as the last job he needs - maybe it makes more sense?

Seeing what Chizik has done might be a lesson to all coordinators at big name schools. Moving to isu was a risk he did not need to take. As an OC at Oklahoma, you will get a better job offer than Indiana...where you are destined to be mediocre at the very best.

IMO it is the kind of job that a coordinator at a school the level of Iowa would be in line for.

It would be interesting to see KOK go there and go back to his spread offense roots and see what happens.

As far as what we are left with, I would think Soup to OC would make sense. The Michigan offenses that he was a part of would seem to be right on par with what KF likes to do...and he would be a heck of a recruiter.

First off, I think KOK would make a pretty good head coach. I think he has a tremendous football mind, but pretty much has his hands tied with this offense that he is forced to run. I think he's pretty poor at playcalling when he's forced to make adjustments from his original game plan. But as a HC, he would be able to hire someone else to do that.

Here's the deal though. I don't think that KOK is a legitimate candidate for the Indiana job. But I think he is ready to move on to a head coaching position. We all know how these things seem to work. Ferentz gets Indiana to fake interest in KOK. Maybe even gets him an interview. IU hires someone else, but they've done a great service to KOK by getting his name out there. He then gets a job at a MAC school(or equivalent).

Latest posts