Ferentz Supporters Enter Here

How easy it is to forget. This season still has to be played and the possibility of improvement is there. We are 2-1, and many of Kirk's teams improve as the season progresses. In-State Games are usually a toss up, even against UNI, we won a tough game against them with a very inexperienced defensive secondary. The Ball State game was a tough one that I thought was over before one of the better rallies we have ever had. We won the game. Iowa State has been a thorn in our side for years. This game means more to them than any bowl game. I am anxious to see what happens at Pitt. It will be a very tough game, but I am not giving up on the team. They are Hawkeyes and have Hawkeye Pride. The talent is there, hopefully it will manifest itself. I will watch and cheer for the Hawks all season, just as I have for Many years, ever since the Evy era, when few games were on TV, and I listened to them on WHO, same as I did with the basketball team with Don Nelson.....

The frustration is easy to understand, and also frustrates me, but I love the Hawkeyes, and will always support them. I also would like to see the offense open up, and not be so predictable. A little imagination would do wonders. The raw talent is there.....

Remember, we have never had scores of 4/5 star players starting and sitting on the bench as the traditional powers always do. We have done rather well over the years, all things considered.....

A win or even a very close, hard fought game at Pitt would help to right the ship, a win and we are 3-1, which would be a nice start....

:rolleyes:

Blah blah blah, were just Iowa. We don't get top recruits. Blah blah blah. Kirks a swell guy.

KF is our coach and I support him from the standpoint that I hope he succeeds, for obvious reasons. If you ask me if I believe in what he's doing with the program and feel confident that he WILL succeed, I can't really answer in the affirmative. That's about the best I can say these days.

""The people lay down the conditions which the king is bound to fulfill. Hence they are bound to obedience only conditionally, namely, upon receiving the protection of just and lawful government…the power of the ruler is delegated by the people and continues only with their consent." -- Theodore Beza 1579

Those people are influenced by the popular opinion of the fans that provide a substantial portion of their revenue.

The fans indirectly pay the paycheck of Barta -- be it through television ratings and radio ratings, supporting advertisers, taxes, ticket sales, donations, or merchandising purchases. Their consent, as the source of funding, is paramount, and blind acceptance of the status quo, unyielding support of the coaches and teams, has nothing to do with fandom.

Throughout history, the governed get the government they deserve. This is far less serious than the election going on right now, but it is still a political (social) process wherein the power to coach the football team is granted by the following of the team by the fans.

The fanbase, in general, does not consent. Even Iowa State fans, like my father, think he needs to go. It's not just this board. Jon and the media won't say that yet, because their livelihoods depend on being invited to press conferences, getting access to coaches and players, etc; and because Iowa hasn't had a consistent meltdown on the field yet for a whole season. Many fans believe it is coming. To do so this year would be especially damning, because Iowa barely plays anyone in the top 50 of college football, let alone the top 25 or top 10, while our coach is the 9th best payed coach in college football, and our athletic department is the 11th highest in the country in revenue. Forgive me for thinking that performance should be commensurate to the resources available and spent.

Yes, I get it, although I think the comparison of college football to government is a little unfair. With government, we can make a change simply by voting for a different candidate. Unfortunately, with college football, the changes that would truly bring about change (ie. empty stadiums, low TV viewership, poor merchandise sales, etc.) require a large portion of the fan base to abandon their team until a change is made. I'm simply not going to do that, and neither are most of the people on this and other boards. Sure, there are some who aren't renewing their season tickets and aren't buying Hawkeye sweatshirts. However, most are still going to keep doing what they've been doing, except they will come on the boards and lambast those "KF lovers" and somehow make themselves feel like they are better fans than those who don't. Look, if there was a vote, I'd most likely vote for staff changes to be made, probably starting at the top. Does that mean I don't want the current staff to make the necessary changes to get back on track and have a successful season? No, it doesn't. Surely this can't be seen as blind consent.

Yes, I get it, although I think the comparison of college football to government is a little unfair. With government, we can make a change simply by voting for a different candidate. Unfortunately, with college football, the changes that would truly bring about change (ie. empty stadiums, low TV viewership, poor merchandise sales, etc.) require a large portion of the fan base to abandon their team until a change is made. I'm simply not going to do that, and neither are most of the people on this and other boards. Sure, there are some who aren't renewing their season tickets and aren't buying Hawkeye sweatshirts. However, most are still going to keep doing what they've been doing, except they will come on the boards and lambast those "KF lovers" and somehow make themselves feel like they are better fans than those who don't. Look, if there was a vote, I'd most likely vote for staff changes to be made, probably starting at the top. Does that mean I don't want the current staff to make the necessary changes to get back on track and have a successful season? No, it doesn't. Surely this can't be seen as blind consent.

Yup, so it's pretty much up to Barta and the powers that be (not sure who else has a say) to determine whether or not to remove KF "from office". I'm not sure they're ready to do that as long as the money is rolling in. Do they care about winning? I'm not sure. Although Barta did fire Lickliter, the same man he hired, and also gave Alford "the talk" after the 2007 season and more or less nudged him out the door to take the UNM job. So, guess we'll see what happens if the on-field product stays bad very much longer.

That said, Iowa did make the Outback Bowl last year, so I imagine KF has a couple years minimum to get things back on track.

As Rob Howe points out, since 2002 season Iowa has won 99 games, which is #21 in the country over that period...considering our recruiting options in state, smallest population of any power 5 school state cept for Nebby....I do not think that is underachieving.

If you're a Ferentz supporter, please comment "I support Kirk Ferentz".

I really need to know how many are left.

I support the team. KF is a multi, multi, multi millionaire. I am a poor man, I feel like he should support me, by leaving with no further money.

KF is the coach...I like KF (most days)... I like Hawkeye football (all days)...I just believe, for now, that it is time to move away from the GD Greg Davis experiment, and quickly (like this week...ok, see how Sat goes since it's Thurs already). Not sure who or what the issues are, but as it is now, they are not working. Lot of the season left to correct ourselves, and this weekend's game should be a good indicator. Just show us something!

Yep, this is where I'm at. KF might be the problem, but I KNOW that the Greg Davis/KF hybrid offense/philosophy is Definitely the primary cancer.

Dont hold your breath. Greg Davis sucks, but he has Ferentz's full faith and confidence which leads me to believe he is doing exactly as he is told. I dont see Ferentz ever going away from GD.

This , sadly, is what I think it has boiled down to for me. And is why, while I am not ready to call for KF to be fired, I cannot whole heartily argue with those that do.

GD and this awful hybrid "read the defense on the fly" iffense , may ultimately be as one poster put it "KF's Waterloo".

Good Lord do I want to have faith restored, the data from 2012 and the first 3 games this year just tells me otherwise.

I almost feel the players, on offense, will have to win in spite of the offensive scheme/philosophy.

Just sickening.

This , sadly, is what I think it has boiled down to for me. And is why, while I am not ready to call for KF to be fired, I cannot whole heartily argue with those that do.

GD and this awful hybrid "read the defense on the fly" iffense , may ultimately be as one poster put it "KF's Waterloo".

Good Lord do I want to have faith restored, the data from 2012 and the first 3 games this year just tells me otherwise.

I almost feel the players, on offense, will have to win in spite of the offensive scheme/philosophy.

Just sickening.

I feel the same as you and theboat about GD and his hopeless style.....

Puts a lot of pressure on the D.....

Like everyone else, I cannot stand the ultra predictable offense. That must change. The team has my support.....

Anyone who doesn't support KF can email me your place of employment and I will show up with a crowbar to defend his honor and coaching ability.

I guess you'll need a crowbar, cause facts and logic certainly won't win out for you,

Last edited:
As Rob Howe points out, since 2002 season Iowa has won 99 games, which is #21 in the country over that period...considering our recruiting options in state, smallest population of any power 5 school state cept for Nebby....I do not think that is underachieving.

Most wont disagree. But....

2002-2005= 9.75 wins per season, 76.5%
2006-2009= 8/year, 59.3%
2010-2013= 6.75/year, 52.9%
Is that a direction you like to see? Especially considering how awful they have looked this year?

Ferentz is cashing checks he wrote a decade ago.

I really think the major difference is him. He does NOT coach the same way that he used to and having all yes men as assistants only feeds his stubbornness.

We make fun of clown fans for still riding off of the OSU win, but we are riding seasons 5-10 years ago.

2006-2009= 8/year, 59.3%
Is that a direction you like to see? Especially considering how awful they have looked this year?

I really think the major difference is him. He does NOT coach the same way that he used to and having all yes men as assistants only feeds his stubbornness.

Why is Ferentz cashing checks that he, himself, wrote? This doesn't make sense.

Pull it together, Boat.

2006-2009= 8/year, 59.3%

Valid points...I am not happy with this season either. I thought last year was a nice bounce-back season...beating Michigan, ISU, and Neb does not make for a horrible season. We were 4th in the Big Ten, which is acceptable, coming off the year before. I hope we start to get back on track Saturday vs Pitt.

Latest posts