Ferentz' postgame quote on CJ

Who cares, seriously? CJ's parents and family to name 1/2 dozen.

Dolph offered a softball question designed to give him a chance to praise a kid that played well and led the team to a victory (just like he does every other game that a player has a good game).
And rather than take that chance to praise CJ, he gave a smarmy answer. It was a dumb thing to say. It was also intentional.

I doubt CJB's parents care if KF gives an honest answer about how he played in practice on Thursday. I bet they're thrilled he played. Way too much political correctness going on here. It depends a lot on the spirit of the answer. Also, it's not the only interview by far. KF did say CJB played well in at least one of the interviews didn't he?

If KF was getting back at the "fans" with his cutting remark about CJ, then he is a quite foolish as well as petulant. Most of the people listening to the radio are probably not even aware of the heat that has been placed on his coaching decisions but now they hear the coach berate the star player of the game for practicing poorly? If you were just a casual fan, what would you make of that statement?

Let's face it, KF is his own worst enemy when it comes to the media, he just does not do it well. Now to be fair, I could overlook that weakness if he made better coaching decisions... we can always hope he learned something today.

I doubt CJB's parents care if KF gives an honest answer about how he played in practice on Thursday. I bet they're thrilled he played. Way too much political correctness going on here. It depends a lot on the spirit of the answer. Also, it's not the only interview by far. KF did say CJB played well in at least one of the interviews didn't he?

His parents not caring would be allot more likely if the comment was made Friday afternoon. I hate political correctness more than most but this comment annoys me.

His parents not caring would be allot more likely if the comment was made Friday afternoon. I hate political correctness more than most but this comment annoys me.

Fair enough, it appears some people were annoyed. I took it as KF was happily surprised (with maybe a touch of defensiveness). I loved the game plan today (the entire game) so I'm in a better mood than most maybe.

I doubt your CJB's parent. There are times to be honest and there are times to not answer truthfully. That can be done without being deceitful. A wise person knows when those times are; it has nothing to do with political correctness or the spirit of the answer. It was in public and a wise person wouldn't give a smarmy answer to a softball "here's a chance for you to praise up a kid". He didn't.

Did you hear the interview?

I don't know what KF said about CJ in every interview he gave. What did he say in the other interviews?

Fair enough, it appears some people were annoyed. I took it as KF was happily surprised (with maybe a touch of defensiveness). I loved the game plan today (the entire game) so I'm in a better mood than most maybe.

Me too. Love being wrong!

No he's being stubborn because he thinks he's always right. Burning the fans is just an added bonus for him.

Exactly right. KF thinks he's the smartest guy in the room soley on his longevity at his current position (Gary Barta fans chime in here). He was proven wrong today and he.let that leak into his post game comments, despite the win.

The most generous reading of his comment is that he was acknowledging how superior CJB's play was over JRs today, and was trying to find a way to justify why he didn't start CJB and have him play the entire game.

The most generous reading of his comment is that he was acknowledging how superior CJB's play was over JRs today, and was trying to find a way to justify why he didn't start CJB and have him play the entire game.

Perhaps the head coach could be a little more definitive when describing how CJ played in his first come from behind victory instead of leaving it open to degrees of interpretation. Just, you know, perhaps...

The pride I feel in the comments in this thread would rival that of the pride felt by Paul Rhoads after watching a commemorative video of a historic win over directional Wyoming.

It really is amazing. In years that Iowa is rolling (2002-2004 and the end of 2008- the middle of 2010) KF's responses like this are treated as witty and clever by the Iowa fan base. When things are not going as well, he is a dick or throwing guys under the bus.

KF's demeanor at pressers hasn't changed the last 16 years.

It really is amazing. In years that Iowa is rolling (2002-2004 and the end of 2008- the middle of 2010) KF's responses like this are treated as witty and clever by the Iowa fan base. When things are not going as well, he is a dick or throwing guys under the bus.

Nah, he's appeared to be more thin-skinned the past few years.

Maybe sometimes witty and clever. I don't remember them being funny. Maybe I have.

And I don't remember Ferentz ever talking about an opposing player the same way he has talked about his own players at times.

Nah, he's appeared to be more thin-skinned the past few years.

Yes, this is true. He's always been a very straight laced coach speak guy, which is fine. But lately he does break out with some defensive passive aggressive snarky comments that the Ferentz from 10 years ago never would have made.

I was shocked by this..Iowa is down at half and looking ******, CJ comes in and the offense comes alive like we haven't seen this year and he makes a comment about how it's good he's not playing as bad as he did in practice? Any logical person knows that he was trying to cover his own *** for not playing the best player earlier by saying that he hadn't been looking good in practice. I don't believe that the guy I saw on the field today played horrible in all the practices this year.

You know what? If he did? Fine. Do what you want in practice. When saturday comes, play CJ and have him throw the ball to Powell and Smith.

I sincerely don't know why people think KF is such a classy guy. I find him to actually be a d***. Never met him and could care less too. To me he comes across as very passive-aggressive and petulant. And yes he likes to take little and sometimes bigger jabs at his critics. Everyone remember him presenting Chris Doyle with an award a few months after the rhabdo incident?

Such a snarky comment to what was a golden opportunity to praise the kid who saved his ***. He doesnt see it that way of course.

I heard the comment live and Eddie's response. Eddie is clearly in CJ's corner. Eddie's too classy to respond any other way than he did but I might have called him a little b****.

Yes, this is true. He's always been a very straight laced coach speak guy, which is fine. But lately he does break out with some defensive passive aggressive snarky comments that the Ferentz from 10 years ago never would have made.

I was shocked by this..Iowa is down at half and looking ******, CJ comes in and the offense comes alive like we haven't seen this year and he makes a comment about how it's good he's not playing as bad as he did in practice? Any logical person knows that he was trying to cover his own *** for not playing the best player earlier by saying that he hadn't been looking good in practice. I don't believe that the guy I saw on the field today played horrible in all the practices this year.

You know what? If he did? Fine. Do what you want in practice. When saturday comes, play CJ and have him throw the ball to Powell and Smith.

Well said, gohawkz.....

:rolleyes:

Latest posts