Ferentz' postgame quote on CJ

Travisam

"Well, I'm just glad he played better today than he did in practice on Thursday, I'll just leave it at that."

If ever there was a better example of Ferentz' incredible level of stubborn and disdain for fans being able to say "I told you so". What an absolute dirtbag quote. Call me what you will, and I don't care if you think it sounds stupid, no one will ever convince me that at this point in his career Ferentz doesn't coach with a figurative middle finger in the air towards the fans. I genuinely believe that winning his way is more important to him than winning.

Regardless of how the rest of this season goes, and I hope it goes very well, today only further solidified EVERYTHING I knew about Ferentz. Congrats to the kids on that team for getting to actually go out there and have some fun today. It sure was more fun for fans as well.

Go Hawks!

this is being talked about in a different thread.

that being said, comments like that does not add to KF's good will account. it doesn't come across well at all.

this is being talked about in a different thread.

that being said, comments like that does not add to KF's good will account. it doesn't come across well at all.

I think this kinda deserves it's own thread anyway. It's pretty obvious it was meant for the fans and not a dig on CJ but it was definitely at CJ's expense.

Who cares, seriously? And you guys wonder why KF never says anything in press conferences. We won the game and KF isn't a politician. CJ probably had a bad day Thursday, so what.

I don't think it was necessarily directed at the fans, but it does tell you what was at the forefront of his mind when he made the statement. This one comment is probably worse from a team perspective than a 1,000 comments coming from fans because it tells you what matters most to KF. I understand the principle of discipline and rewarding hard work, but frankly, this was not the time to emphasize that in front of a radio audience of literally thousands when the announcers are giving him the opportunity to give some well-deserved recognition to one of his players.

I hope KF realizes the inappropriateness of his comment and apologizes to CJ for making it.

I gotta believe that he was telling the truth when he said JR was hurt. And I gotta believe that JR probably makes the checkdowns in practice correctly more often than CJB. He's probably smarter and knows the playbook better and all that. So he was probably really nervous about putting CJB in the game. So what he was expressing was pleasant surprise rather than a dig at anyone. Kirk gives out digs very selectively.

I'm a big critic of him, and I didn't think he'd take the risks on the long ball he did today, keep the risky but talented player in the game (Powell) today. But he did, and I'm happy that he did and as long as Iowa wins I will be happy to eat crow. But, he's stubborn to the point of failure, but he's not a ******.

Who cares, seriously? And you guys wonder why KF never says anything in press conferences. We won the game and KF isn't a politician. CJ probably had a bad day Thursday, so what.

23, the question asked to KF was along the lines of: "...what helped CJ play so well, today?" And that is all KF could say? He couldn't even praise the kid that kept his *ss off the hot seat for another week? Politician, or not, KF is a master at coach speak and he's been around the block more than a few times. This comment was directed at the fans at the cost of belittling the effort that CJ put into bringing Iowa back to a victory. This could have the reverse effect in that the players could rally around CJ even more.

But when asked why any given player played well, why give an answer that portrays that player as having a poor practice, while not saying "but it is a credit to him that he was prepared for his opportunity and played a good game. He really came in and gave us a spark that we needed." I'll tell you one possible reason, KF has been sitting on CJ in favor of JR and this game and that comment shows it.

Also, thank you Eddie P.! Eddie's reply was: "...It shows that what happens in practice doesn't always happen in the game..." That is paraphrase, but it's close.

Let's not sugar coat it, it was a totally self-serving, a-hole quote at the expense of one of his players. What an ***.

I'd mentioned this in in another thread. Ferentz is just saying that to make himself look better. People have been wanting to see CJ earlier but he didn't play him. Finally in the 2nd half today he plays and there were more positives for the offense then the previous 3 and a half games put together.

One of his poor personnel decisions was spotlighted and he got defensive. I really don't care about what he says as long as he doesn't bench him.

btw..when typing "Offense" above before I changed it I misspelled it "Awefense." Freudian slip after seeing the Iowa offense actually play well again.

23, the question asked to KF was along the lines of: "...what helped CJ play so well, today?" And that is all KF could say? He couldn't even praise the kid that kept his *ss off the hot seat for another week? Politician, or not, KF is a master at coach speak and he's been around the block more than a few times. This comment was directed at the fans at the cost of belittling the effort that CJ put into bringing Iowa back to a victory. This could have the reverse effect in that the players could rally around CJ even more.

But when asked why any given player played well, why give an answer that portrays that player as having a poor practice, while not saying "but it is a credit to him that he was prepared for his opportunity and played a good game. He really came in and gave us a spark that we needed." I'll tell you one possible reason, KF has been sitting on CJ in favor of JR and this game and that comment shows it.

Also, thank you Eddie P.! Eddie's reply was: "...It shows that what happens in practice doesn't always happen in the game..." That is paraphrase, but it's close.

Well, that's quite the analysis. It's still way too politically correct for me to think about what he should have said. It also depends on the spirit of the answer which I bet KF was thrilled, but I didn't hear the interview.

btw, Eddie P is an all-time great Hawk and he will tend to thoughtfully speak his mind.

Last edited:
For all of his reputation of being such a great guy and gentleman, he does often get snarky at press conferences. I think it was clearly a jab at the fans and press who were petitioning for a change at QB. My guess is Rudock will start next week if he's healthy.

It's too bad he couldn't give the kid some credit, because if CJ doesn't come into the game today I don't think they win.

Hit the nail on the head... call him out for something good or not at all. Did he call anyone else out that had a bad week in practice?

Also, did anyone else notice when CJ got in the game that everyone seemed to have more of a pep in their step? They looked like they were having more fun all around.

Also, thank you Eddie P.! Eddie's reply was: "...It shows that what happens in practice doesn't always happen in the game..." That is paraphrase, but it's close.[/QUOTE]

I'd mentioned this in in another thread. Ferentz is just saying that to make himself look better. People have been wanting to see CJ earlier but he didn't play him. Finally in the 2nd half today he plays and there were more positives for the offense then the previous 3 and a half games put together.

One of his poor personnel decisions was spotlighted and he got defensive. I really don't care about what he says as long as he doesn't bench him.

btw..when typing "Offense" above before I changed it I misspelled it "Awefense." Freudian slip after seeing the Iowa offense actually play well again.

I hope (and assume) it was his way of defending his decision because that's the lesser of the 2 evils.

I don't think I'm upset about CJ not getting the call in 13'. Ruddock was pretty good with minimal experience, he just doesn't have the ceiling that CJ has. He has to add another hitch/step on his long throws it seems and gets the ball to the outside slower. But this season it seems CJ was originally second in the depth chart out of the gates simply cause Ruddock had "earned" it. He does have his merits but just don't think we have the team around him to win consistently. Other B1G teams could benefit with him, but we have a weak running team, and we need a QB who can beat the defense, not just take what the defense is giving you.

Kirk cant even win at easy questions. Youd think kirk just would have said....he played well and smiled. He had to throw Cj( the player who just made his team look good) under the bus just like he did last year.

If it was a jab at the fans it backfired making him look like a child.

Who cares, seriously? CJ's parents and family to name 1/2 dozen.

Dolph offered a softball question designed to give him a chance to praise a kid that played well and led the team to a victory (just like he does every other game that a player has a good game).
And rather than take that chance to praise CJ, he gave a smarmy answer. It was a dumb thing to say. It was also intentional.

Latest posts