Ferentz on Coker

Are you so naive as to believe they don't do this? At any press conference, whether it be political, sports, etc., there are usually a number of subjects that will not be discussed. It is far from being exclusive to Iowa.

No I'm not naive to this. I fully understand all of that and how it's been for years. I'm just saying I don't like it.

So you are saying because someone works for a public institution he/she has to be totally transparent in all dealing with the media?

Think about what are you saying here.

No, but I do think we are entitled to some information as fans and taxpayers. Some coaches drive me nuts in the way they deal with media almost making it a game on how to avoid answering questions. The media is the fans voice to find out what we want to know about.

Fans, for the most part, are very forgiving. If a mistake was made sometimes it is just best let it out, say you made a mistake, all is forgiven, and we move on. By keeping things secret leads to speculation to the point where I've seen people calling Coker a rapist. Sometimes you bring more attention to the issue by not saying anything then if you would have been upfront about it and it turns into a bigger story than it should have been.

The police issued their report. Ferentz cannot legally talk about it in detail. At least he's made it very clear who he's standing behind. If Marcus wants you and the rest of the fans to know the details, he'll tell you. If he does not want to share that info then you're out of luck. It's his personal life and issues. He's a private citizen and you have no right to know any of his personal business until such time as it becomes public record. You can't blame Ferentz.

No, but I do think we are entitled to some information as fans and taxpayers. Some coaches drive me nuts in the way they deal with media almost making it a game on how to avoid answering questions. The media is the fans voice to find out what we want to know about.

Fans, for the most part, are very forgiving. If a mistake was made sometimes it is just best let it out, say you made a mistake, all is forgiven, and we move on. By keeping things secret leads to speculation to the point where I've seen people calling Coker a rapist. Sometimes you bring more attention to the issue by not saying anything then if you would have been upfront about it and it turns into a bigger story than it should have been.

With all due respect this stance is just stupid.

You are pining for the U to release private information to cure the public curiosity when that is the very thing responsible for people running around spreading rumors to begin with.

At this poi t what does coker matter to this program anymore? The team and coaches have moved on, why can't you? I know he is as important as Derby or brinson or wegher to me.

Of course I do not assume to need to know every detail of every players life.

With all due respect this stance is just stupid.

You are pining for the U to release private information to cure the public curiosity when that is the very thing responsible for people running around spreading rumors to begin with.

Honestly, you don't think this whole situation has been blown out of proportion? I am tired of hearing about it, time to move on.

At this poi t what does coker matter to this program anymore? The team and coaches have moved on, why can't you? I know he is as important as Derby or brinson or wegher to me.

Of course I do not assume to need to know every detail of every players life.

Actually I agree with you. It just seems like all the secrecy and the whole "ft kinnick" thing makes bigger stories it should be.

Honestly, you don't think this whole situation has been blown out of proportion? I am tired of hearing about it, time to move on.

Then move on, no one is stopping you. The media continue to ask about it because they feel people still want to know. When people no longer want to know about it they will stop asking about it.

I just think it's crazy to expect the U to release any info at all about a private matter between a student and a panel investigating student code of conduct info.

So as a taxpayer you think you are entitled to details of an investigation involving a student-athlete?

Were you screaming for details when the Drum Major was nailed for OWI a while back?

Or how about the student that choked the cop in downtown IC a couple months back. Why arent you demanding details for that investigation?

So as a taxpayer you think you are entitled to details of an investigation involving a student-athlete?

Were you screaming for details when the Drum Major was nailed for OWI a while back?

Or how about the student that choked the cop in downtown IC a couple months back. Why arent you demanding details for that investigation?

I assume those incidents were handled with due process according to our legal system, a system that I believe in and support.

I'm not sure what process was followed with Coker and if the process was that Sally Mason et al. decided to suspend him to cover their ***** without any evidence of wrongdoing, then that's not a system I believe in, support, or believe the people of Iowa should allow to persist.

As a taxpayer I am demanding to know what the medical history of every city worker in cedar rapids or Iowa city is. I have the right since my tax dollars pays their salaries. Wait you mean I don't?

All that you guys are saying is true and I don't disagree. However I'm not by any means suggesting that I or we are "entitled" to information. I'm just saying that I don't like the media being told what to talk about or not talk about. It's the media's job to ask questions to what they feel is important. However coach wants to answer is fine. He can go Zooker on em ignore them or answer them.

He addresses other issues in his "on the side" segment, which is a little more informal. Reporters can get those questions answered if they want to stick around for that. It's just about not wasting time during the actual presser.

Kirk Ferentz spoke again about Marcus Coker yesterday. As he has done previously, he was complimentary about Marcus. Would he say that about a rapist? I don't think so.

What was the real reason that Coker left? Paging Sally Mason!

"What I told him was I was going to support him no matter what,â€￾ Ferentz said. “I think Marcus is a tremendous young man and just wish him all the best moving forward.â€￾

Notebook: Ferentz said Coker left frustrated | Hawk Central

Was Coker suspended then for nothing? That makes perfect sense.

There's a difference between wanting to know the details of what happened (which I have seen very little of), to wanting to know the details of the investigation. Big difference. One is a private matter that's no one's business. The other is a public matter that deserves transparency in order to ensure that no student is railroaded or deprived of due process because some administrator(s) want to cover his/her/their ***(es).

To suggest that citizens of the state don't have a right to know the details of how an investigation was conducted at a publicly funded institution is not just ********, it's downright dangerous. When public officials get to hide behind a veil of "privacy" (secrecy), then they are accountable to NO ONE. That's not a society that I'm really interested in living in.

There's a difference between wanting to know the details of what happened (which I have seen very little of), to wanting to know the details of the investigation. Big difference. One is a private matter that's no one's business. The other is a public matter that deserves transparency in order to ensure that no student is railroaded or deprived of due process because some administrator(s) want to cover his/her/their ***(es).

To suggest that citizens of the state don't have a right to know the details of how an investigation was conducted at a publicly funded institution is not just ********, it's downright dangerous. When public officials get to hide behind a veil of "privacy" (secrecy), then they are accountable to NO ONE. That's not a society that I'm really interested in living in.

This basically sums up my thoughts on the matter, especially given our history of mishandling cases/accusations of a similar nature over the past decade.

Latest posts