Ferentz has lost this team already

OkstHawk

Wadley's interview with the press tells you all you need to know about this team right now. Wadley repeated 'execution' which is code word for the blame lies with the players. I think Wadley is sick of this shitty offense and is sick of KF strangling this team. Not a good sign moving forward if your best player is fed up 5 games in.

I'm so sick of hearing about execution. Why is it that Iowa is the only team in the country that needs perfect execution to win? Wisky turned the ball over how many times today against NW and still won. Execution is an excuse for bad coaching and a lack of preparation.

Wadley's interview with the press tells you all you need to know about this team right now. Wadley repeated 'execution' which is code word for the blame lies with the players. I think Wadley is sick of this shitty offense and is sick of KF strangling this team. Not a good sign moving forward if your best player is fed up 5 games in.

Wadley's interview tells us he hates to lose - period. No "code" going on here.

I'm so sick of hearing about execution. Why is it that Iowa is the only team in the country that needs perfect execution to win? Wisky turned the ball over how many times today against NW and still won. Execution is an excuse for bad coaching and a lack of preparation.

Fact is Iowa does need to execute almost perfectly to win. Here's why.

Every game, 99% of the plays Iowa runs are the same ones they run against every team they play no matter what defense the other team is in. I have no proof and am not an expert, but I watch several games each Saturday and Iowa has to be the most predictable team on both sides of the ball in the power 5 conferences.

Just about every time Iowa audibles the opposing teams defense shifts and sure enough Iowa runs off right tackle and the play is almost always shut down.

Teams have been saying for years in post game interviews they knew exactly what Iowa was going to do.

This cannot be a surprise anymore can it? Iowa is a legit .500 team at 6-6 and less than that, 5-7 to a rare 4-8 if they don't execute. They're a 7-5 to 8-4 team if they do execute very well.

Sure, they'll have a 10 win season every now and then when the schedule works in their favor and when few mistakes are made.

That's the way it will always be under KF. I get ticked off after the first loss each year then reality sets in of who the coach is. It's then I just laugh at the crazy crap I see on the sidelines and on the field. It makes life so much easier knowing things won't change until change at the top takes place.

The KF football philosophy reminds me of the guy who stops for a beer every day after work and when he walks in the door the bartender has a cold Bud sitting at his favorite spot at the bar before he even gets to the bar stool.

Yesterday, the MSU coach was the bartender. Every game it's deja vu all over again Yogi.

Its like Hank Stram against Bud Grant in Super Bowl IV every game. Stram might as well been sending in the plays for the Vikings.

Sure it works most of the time against teams that don't have the talent to stop his lunch pail style, but the teams that do, stop it with ease.

Last edited:
Look, many teams in college still run pro-style offense. It isn't the style of offense you run, it's the philosophy that behind how it is used. At Iowa, it is "execute and let the chips fall where they may" on whether you win or lose. That is where "that's football" comes from. WHY....dear Lord, why can we not believe "we're are going to take this game from our opponent regardless of how well we're executing". It is the fatal flaw of this program. Yes, I understand that that sentiment IS behind the belief in executing. But, you can adapt in game to out wit your opponent; that is to say, don't be predictable and make they have to try and guess. No one really believes this staff doesn't want to win. So we don't need the Iowa media using that straw man argument to defend kirk. It is the philosophy that underlies the program that keeps us from winning games we could steal when we're playing badly or not executing.

This team has too much potential to write them off but 8 wins is most likely off the table. This team should be good next year when the schedule flips again. I want us to play the players that have a future a little more. Like to see the younger running backs and more of the freshman receivers that lost their redshirt already. Love Easley but throwing the deep ball to him usually won't result in him running away from the defense.
In no way can the defense be blamed for this loss. 21 points to Penn State, 17 to Michigan State at home and 2nd half shut out. Michigan St. put the ball on the turf twice but bad luck let them get it back. The defense gave the offense chance after chance to win this game.
Stanley seems to have gotten gun shy in the pocket. He's already showing advanced signs of Kirk Syndrome, a disease which inhibits it's victims from making any instinctive plays without first overthinking the safety of the pass as it relates to the team concept. In it's early stages players play well, throwing passes without inhibition. Later as the victim progresses he becomes incapable of decision making without first checking with the sideline on every play. Lastly the victim becomes paralyzed unable to even throw the ball as it might lead to a turnover and takes the "safe" option of a sack or throwing the ball away. This is a progressive disease which affects 3 out of every 4 Iowa quarterbacks. When a quarterback is exposed the only cure is to transfer to another school where you can still recover and lead a team to the Citrus Bowl and throw for 3 touchdowns in a win.

Last edited:
I basically think we agree on this. You stated it in a more precise manner. I tried to be more colorful. :)

Ya see, KF reminds me of Bud Grant in every way. He was an execute and let the chips fall where they may coach too. I heard him use the 'that's football' explanation many times. Stram on the other hand was an innovator. That game changed football forever. It started its path away from 4 yards and a cloud of dust from that point on.

I'm not saying KF is a bad coach. I'm trying to say he needs to order a Mai Tai more often. Like Hank Stram.

Last edited:
This team has too much potential to write them off but 8 wins is most likely off the table. This team should be good next year when the schedule flips again. I want us to play the players that have a future a little more. Like to see the younger running backs and more of the freshman receivers that lost their redshirt already. Love Easley but throwing the deep ball to him usually won't result in him running away from the defense.
In no way can the defense be blamed for this loss. 21 points to Penn State, 17 to Michigan State at home and 2nd half shut out. Michigan St. put the ball on the turf twice but bad luck let them get it back. The defense gave the offense chance after chance to win this game.
Stanley seems to have gotten gun shy in the pocket. He's already showing advanced signs of Kirk Syndrome, a disease which inhibits it's victims from making any instinctive plays without first overthinking the safety of the pass as it relates to the team concept. In it's early stages players play well, throwing passes without inhibition. Later as the victim progresses he becomes incapable of decision making without first checking with the sideline on every play. Lastly the victim becomes paralyzed unable to even throw the ball as it might lead to a turnover and takes the "safe" option of a sack or throwing the ball away. This is a progressive disease which affects 3 out of every 4 Iowa quarterbacks. When a quarterback is exposed the only cure is to transfer to another school where you can still recover and lead a team to the Citrus Bowl and throw for 3 touchdowns in a win.

This is a very good post.

Next year we will be even more reliant on the offense. Our 3 Lbs have 100 starts between them and are the experienced strength of our defense, with Josey basically playing lights out . They are all gone after this year...and their backups have basically zero experience.

Hey, mighty Western Michigan had over 100 yards rushing against MSU. Hell, Bowling Green had 67. I think this offense will get worse as the season goes. That MSU team is not going to win very many games, they are average at best. We are going to see much better defenses than yesterday.

Iowa fan's notion of talent is forged by 1 or 2 plays in spring football followed by 1 or 2 plays against ISU or Miami OH. Suddenly this Jimmy or that Joe is talented.

We rarely see talent, when we see good we mistake it for awesome.

Iowa fan's notion of talent is forged by 1 or 2 plays in spring football followed by 1 or 2 plays against ISU or Miami OH. Suddenly this Jimmy or that Joe is talented.

We rarely see talent, when we see good we mistake it for awesome.

Lot of truth here.

Latest posts