Ferentz has lost this team already

Nobody is saying that execution isn't a problem but folks pretend that it's the only problem. Always blaming the players first gets old.
It's like it's pointless to pay $millions for coaches. If they aren't responsible for what goes down on game days, then why do they exist?

I'm upset over losing to MSU ....just not end of the world, scorched earth mad. Why? Because we were road dogs in a season we weren't expected to compete for the West title. Had we won, I'd be elated. Lose, and well, that's pretty much what everyone in the country expected outside of 30 dudes on Hawkeye Nation. If we lose to Illinois I will be on here calling for heads to roll, but losing at MSU? That can happen every season without too much of a fuss - they have proven to be a competent program for a while now.

Maybe because they lost at home to what most fans think is a very mediocre ND team. Maybe because KF has some of the same issues that he had in many years past. You know there is a reason why Iowa doesn't get much love in the national media. It's not just because Iowa is....Iowa. KSU doesn't get the same treatment as Iowa. Nebby doesn't get the same treatment. MSU doesn't either. There are things about this problem that are laughable even in winning. That is what drives people crazy. Iowa football is like a nice looking guy (maybe not Tom Brady) asking out the average girl because he doesn't want to get turned down by the good looking girl who actually may even be nicer in personality. That is Iowa football.

Maybe because they lost at home to what most fans think is a very mediocre ND team. Maybe because KF has some of the same issues that he had in many years past. You know there is a reason why Iowa doesn't get much love in the national media. It's not just because Iowa is....Iowa. KSU doesn't get the same treatment as Iowa. Nebby doesn't get the same treatment. MSU doesn't either. There are things about this problem that are laughable even in winning. That is what drives people crazy. Iowa football is like a nice looking guy (maybe not Tom Brady) asking out the average girl because he doesn't want to get turned down by the good looking girl who actually may even be nicer in personality. That is Iowa football.

If you mean averaging out to approx a top 25 P5 conference team over the last 20 years or so, then yeah I will agree with ya. I want more too, but let's stop the tired act of Iowa is some bottom dweller that could be a national title contender every season if we just had the right guy here. Iowa is good at football. They have a very good program, coach, stadium, fan base, facilities and wins. KSU has a worst record over the last 4 seasons or so, haven't placed nearly as high in the conference as Iowa has, and Bill Snyder walks on water. I get it, HawkeyeNation has fatigue from the same guy at the helm for so many years, it's hard not to. All I am saying is, it's not nearly as bad as you guys sell it.

If you mean averaging out to approx a top 25 P5 conference team over the last 20 years or so, then yeah I will agree with ya. I want more too, but let's stop the tired act of Iowa is some bottom dweller that could be a national title contender every season if we just had the right guy here. Iowa is good at football. They have a very good program, coach, stadium, fan base, facilities and wins. KSU has a worst record over the last 4 seasons or so, haven't placed nearly as high in the conference as Iowa has, and Bill Snyder walks on water. I get it, HawkeyeNation has fatigue from the same guy at the helm for so many years, it's hard not to. All I am saying is, it's not nearly as bad as you guys sell it.

You just nailed it. Iowa isn't a bottom feeder....But the system acts like it. The program is not what you think it is either. Most of us with some degree of complaining start with the premise that Iowa isn't a bottom feeder. Those of you who complain about complaining seem to be afraid that is what Iowa will become should the course be altered.

The results in Bowl games do indicate a not strong program with a weak schedule.
The play calling system seems acts like one that is a bottom feeder.
The defense acts like it can't compete unless the field is shortened.

Iowa has some damn good players and damn good facilities and damn good revenue generation. Why keep acting like Iowa is not that and needs to do things a team that doesn't think they can win playing straight up does?

As stated, there is a reason that Iowa gets little respect from the media and the reason has nothing to do with the word IOWA.

You just nailed it. Iowa isn't a bottom feeder....But the system acts like it. The program is not what you think it is either. Most of us with some degree of complaining start with the premise that Iowa isn't a bottom feeder. Those of you who complain about complaining seem to be afraid that is what Iowa will become should the course be altered.

The results in Bowl games do indicate a not strong program with a weak schedule.
The play calling system seems acts like one that is a bottom feeder.
The defense acts like it can't compete unless the field is shortened.

Iowa has some damn good players and damn good facilities and damn good revenue generation. Why keep acting like Iowa is not that and needs to do things a team that doesn't think they can win playing straight up does?

As stated, there is a reason that Iowa gets little respect from the media and the reason has nothing to do with the word IOWA.

Iowa is good at football when compared to it's peers, has been for a while. You'll have a hard time convincing me otherwise. Are there better programs? Absolutely. We're chasing them. I want Iowa to be what Wisconsin is and we have everything in place to be that. We just haven't been able to do it consistently. I guess I am in the boat that it could be worse here with the wrong guy in charge and instead we have the luxury of having a steady, consistent winning coach who runs a great program. To each their own, I aint happy about losing to MSU, I just am not scorched earth mad either. It wasn't a bad loss. If Iowa fails to win 7 games this year, I probably will sing a different tune. I just aint there yet.

Iowa is good at football when compared to it's peers, has been for a while. You'll have a hard time convincing me otherwise. Are there better programs? Absolutely. We're chasing them. I want Iowa to be what Wisconsin is and we have everything in place to be that. We just haven't been able to do it consistently. I guess I am in the boat that it could be worse here with the wrong guy in charge and instead we have the luxury of having a steady, consistent winning coach who runs a great program. To each their own, I aint happy about losing to MSU, I just am not scorched earth mad either. It wasn't a bad loss. If Iowa fails to win 7 games this year, I probably will sing a different tune. I just aint there yet.

Iowa is better than Purdue, IU, Rutgers, and IL. That are not stronger than the rest, but equal to a lot. Those are the peers you are comparing Iowa too? 3 of those programs are making gains. Iowa appears to be treading water compared to about everyone they are equal to and most of those below.

If 7 is your standard, then you are right.

Iowa is better than Purdue, IU, Rutgers, and IL. That are not stronger than the rest, but equal to a lot. Those are the peers you are comparing Iowa too? 3 of those programs are making gains. Iowa appears to be treading water compared to about everyone they are equal to and most of those below.

If 7 is your standard, then you are right.

7 is my floor, if Iowa hits that, I don't get too riled up. In 2012 I wanted a change. Iowa is a better program currently, then Purdue, IU, Rutgers, IL, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska and Northwestern. A snap shot of recent seasons would indicate that. They can be better, I agree. I want better, but let's stop acting like they aren't.

7 is my floor, if Iowa hits that, I don't get too riled up. In 2012 I wanted a change. Iowa is a better program currently, then Purdue, IU, Rutgers, IL, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska and Northwestern. A snap shot of recent seasons would indicate that. They can be better, I agree. I want better, but let's stop acting like they aren't.

The issue is that the issues aren't getting better. Let's stop acting like they are. Therein lies the separation between fans.

The issue is that the issues aren't getting better. Let's stop acting like they are. Therein lies the separation between fans.

The issue of winning football games? I'm sorry, Iowa isn't going to produce an undefeated team every season to stop the issues.

Wadley's interview with the press tells you all you need to know about this team right now. Wadley repeated 'execution' which is code word for the blame lies with the players. I think Wadley is sick of this shitty offense and is sick of KF strangling this team. Not a good sign moving forward if your best player is fed up 5 games in.
Looked like execution to me when the Oline can't create holes, players are overthrown and WR's drop balls. Add turnovers and it sure seems to be an issue with execution.

Stop talking reality on this thread. It will get you nowhere.

We have "issues" and are not far from being 4 - 0. But yeah fire Ferentz LOL! Did you pick the Hawks to go 12-0 and on to national title game where they would crush Bama by the score of 75 - 3?

Nobody is saying that execution isn't a problem but folks pretend that it's the only problem. Always blaming the players first gets old.
This is a small reason for the melt-down, we just let Michigan State get out of the pool that they been drowning in for the last two seasons. Why is this important? We directly compete with Michigan State going after Michigan leftovers in recruiting. When a program is struggling, you have to keep your feet on their head. Watch Michigan State win some battles we were winning in recruiting. If you watched Dantonio he was all business. Sometimes a loss is more than a loss.

Exactly. Lost by 7 with two fumbles in our own territory, one within the 10. I don't get the melt down.

Don't underestimate the pent up hate toward KF by a number of persons on here. It goes into hiding while winning, but any hiccup watch out. They crawl back out. Most people probably predicted 7 - 5 or 8 - 4 prior to season start, but now we are on that path and they can't even accept their own prediction. They really believed in their head it would be 11 - 1 or 12 - 0.

We have "issues" and are not far from being 4 - 0. But yeah fire Ferentz LOL! Did you pick the Hawks to go 12-0 and on to national title game where they would crush Bama by the score of 75 - 3?

we're a lot closer to being 2-3 than 4-0 (however you came up with that number since we've played 5 games)

Last edited:

You sure stretched a bit

Last edited:
Does anyone believe that MSU's execution was flawless? I don't. They stunk, a lot. But they won because they controlled the game with their defensive game plan and they're celebrating this week. No team executes to 100% perfection, so, it becomes what do you do when you aren't executing to still win? Iowa keeps to script and goes down with the ship, instead of taking risks to overcome poor execution. We never go into scramble mode and become unpredictable.

Right now we are on pace to go 6-6 or 7-5. That isn't acceptable to me. There's no reason Iowa can't go at least 8-4 every season. MSU is one of our easier games this season and we lost. We actually looked worse against them then we did during the first four games. You shouldn't look worse as the season goes along. If Iowa puts up more than 20 points this weekend I will be shocked.

Wadley's interview with the press tells you all you need to know about this team right now. Wadley repeated 'execution' which is code word for the blame lies with the players. I think Wadley is sick of this shitty offense and is sick of KF strangling this team. Not a good sign moving forward if your best player is fed up 5 games in.

Yeah because only if Iowa executes the zone run play better you know we will have success. :rolleyes:

I agree with you. Kirk has a way of killing this team. Lets be as predictable as usual in our offensive play calling, it doesn't matter what the defense is doing, we just need to "execute". That'll fix it.:rolleyes:

Look, many teams in college still run pro-style offense. It isn't the style of offense you run, it's the philosophy that behind how it is used. At Iowa, it is "execute and let the chips fall where they may" on whether you win or lose. That is where "that's football" comes from. WHY....dear Lord, why can we not believe "we're are going to take this game from our opponent regardless of how well we're executing". It is the fatal flaw of this program. Yes, I understand that that sentiment IS behind the belief in executing. But, you can adapt in game to out wit your opponent; that is to say, don't be predictable and make they have to try and guess. No one really believes this staff doesn't want to win. So we don't need the Iowa media using that straw man argument to defend kirk. It is the philosophy that underlies the program that keeps us from winning games we could steal when we're playing badly or not executing.

Exactly. It is like Ferentz does not coach to want to win. That is really how it comes off a lot of the time.